1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I've been charging at work since Oct 2012 now Property Management say's I can't :(

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rav, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bought my Plug in Prius October 2012 and got approval from my employer to charge at work. I've been charging since just fine. Now, the property management company says that it violates the lease and I must stop immediately. This happened today 7/11/13 out of nowhere. I asked if there was any alternative so I can charge and they said no. (I think a Nissan Leaf is at fault but I'm not 100% sure)

Has anyone experienced this and or know any resources to help resolve this? I wanna charge at work!!!!

2. prius_in_pa

prius_in_pa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It sounds like a bean counter saw the electric bill. Is there any dealerships closed by, maybe they would let you get free fuel.

3. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ^
    The electric bill is paid 100% by my employer not the property management company

4. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Can you ask to see a copy of the property lease to see what specific terms are being violated?

markabele likes this.
  5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:Not sure that would be appropriate at the employee level, but doesn't hurt to ask. Chances are, anti Prius bias "at work" here. I assume jealous co-workers probably complained. If that's the case, that's a sad situation. Best to let it go.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bummer. is there someone at your employer you could ask? i don't understand how using electricity violates a lease, no matter who is paying the bill, but especially if the lessee is paying it. perhaps if you offered to pay your employer if they are against it. what are we talking $10./mo?

7. prius_in_pa

prius_in_pa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Are you saying they are jealous that he got a better parking spot due to the charging stations? If that's the case, I can see why they would be pissed.

8. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Rav, if your Employer gave you approval and the Employer is paying the electric bill or it's included in the lease payment, where does the property manager have a right to even Talk to you to tell you to stop. Tell them to talk to the boss and to point out the lease infraction.

What if your boss bought a new or bigger copier or bought the employees 2 monitors each, what would the property manager do?
    AND do they know what the PIP charge costs? It's 25 cents per charge for me in Rochester.
    How much is the property manager costing the building owner ??? There's a way to SAVE a lot of money !!!

9. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Write to them (don't call) and ask what the specific violation(s) are. Be polite. You want a written response from someone with authority. Talk to your employer before you start anything though. Get back to us when you have specifics.

10. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When I asked what the violation was I was told it was two things.

1. My vehicle must be parked in a parking spot. (Our building has a front section which is office and a back which is warehouse. I park & charge in the back area. This area has no sidewalks or red zones and is designated an industrial zone. When the fire department came by even they were ok with my setup)

2. No extension cords outside the doors. (They consider my charger an extension cord). I park right up to the back of our building (see pic) while charging and move to a parking spot once complete.

This morning I didn't Plug In and I'm pissed. I am not going to let this go. I do no harm to anyone by charging my car at work. I am going to email the leasing manager and ask them for an exception to the lease. It's worth a shot.

Attached Files:

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is an interesting story. I too am surprised the property manager contacted you directly, but it might work to your advantage. Why don't you circumvent the manager and ask for permission from the actual property owner. A letter from your employer supporting your EV use would be a nice addition.

Be sure to explain why your cord is safe, unlike a simple extension cord.

12. xcuter

xcuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe they have the right to stop you from plugging in. It's a liability on their end if someone were to trip over your charging cord and get injured or for whatever reason the is some sort of shortage and causes fire to their property. Also what happens when 10 other employees decide to get plug ins after seeing your charging for free? May just cause problems for your employer and the property managment company of you continue to pursue this. .

SPH-L900 ? 2

13. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't you say you only plug in at work once a week? So it saves you what, maybe 40 cents a week and now you don't have to worry about packing up your cable for that day? Probably not something to get pissed about or risk damaging professional relationships over.

14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems I read that somewhere else about the once a week thing. Sorry...but still probably not worth risking stuff over.

15. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I will try, thanks!

16. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I see your point but this is an industrial zone and I do put up orange cones so the cord is easily visible, this is why the fire department gave me the ok when they came by for an inspection.

xcuter likes this.
  17. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I charge twice a day at work. I will take the risk and if they say no, our leases are up soon :)

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If the lease is ending soon, this might be an excellent time to consider putting in an EVSE for a couple of cars.

19. xcuter

xcuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Put yourself in their shoes what would you do? The red cone does not protect them from liability.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would paint lines for a couple of parking spaces, designated for EVs.

Sheesh

garglo likes this.