1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Japan discourages tiny cars (0.6 liter Kei cars)

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Troy Heagy, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think this is a dumb decision by the government. Why can't politicians just leave their hands-off the free market & let customers choose? Why must they penalize customers for buying what they want (ultra-small cars)? Little tiny cars burn less fuel, create less pollution, et cetera.

Informative Article:
    Why Japan's government is looking to curb its adorable kei car market - Autoblog
    Time-wasting video:

#1 Troy Heagy, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And where are they going to park all these bigger cars?

Some of the Kei cars have made it here and are popular for the above reason. The IQ is one I believe.

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is it me or does the host's voice sound autotuned?

4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree with you as long as people understand they are more vulnerable to injury/death while driving one, and accept that. The politicians are who the public voted into office. If they want less intervention, then they need to elect leadership that supports that ideal.

BTW, I'd love to have that Z28, but my wife would run me over with it.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Kei cars are not legal in the US because of safety requirements. My guess is Japan may be doing that, but I am not sure. It may just be an excuse that they are not exportable. No reason in 2014 to subsidize them with lower taxes. The smart fortwo and IQ are allowed in the US and are not kei cars..

IMHO we have too high of car safety standards. The vw XL1 for example won't get sold in the US for safety requirements. But motorcycles statistically are more dangerous than kei cars, and motorcycles are allowed. I say let the governments warn us, but stop adding new restrictions.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  6. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't pray, but those "too high safety standards" bless America leaving XL1 unsold! :D

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That Z/28 has to be the stupidest car on the planet!
    $75,000 for a car with no standard A/C, a one-speaker radio, and model-specific $2500 tires with no mileage warranty and are only just barely street-legal. Add to that a clunky 6-speed standard transmission, and all the visibility and fuel efficiency of a buttoned-up M1A2 Abrams tank.
    MAN!!!!
    I want one!!! :)

The kei (pronounced "K") car is a little bit safer than my Harley, so the "we're just trying to protect the people" argument doesn't cut it with me.
    However (comma!) people in a democracy usually get the government that they deserve. :)

#7 ETC(SS), Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    KennyGS likes this.
  8. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A

The IROC-Z was the car I cut my mechanical teeth on . I bought one new when they came out in '85 and didn't waste any time building a new engine within a year. The new Z-28 holds a really special place in my heart and I'd love to get my paws on one. Other than being 500 lbs too heavy, it's got all the right stuff, what a beast. I love the era we live in, you can buy a 50+ mpg car that gets you to work and come home to a 660 hp beast (not the Z-28) :) woohoo!

KennyGS likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Camaros & Kei cars. I thought I was in the "OTHER" cars thread. Nope ... it does in fact say Prius, Hybrid, EV & Alt-Fuel Thread. Must be expanding the interpretation . . . or maybe this is the diesel Camaro & Kei offerings.
    :)

10. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Good point about Kei cars being safer than cycles.
    Yeah! Exactly! Just like we do in the United..... um..... never mind. (People who request less intervention are labeled "kooks" by the politicians.)

11. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have wanted to bring one of the Kei cars to the us for years. They have all different styles. Mini trucks, mini two seater sports cars, mini minivans. All are fuel efficient and safe for non freeway use. IMHO

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Or safe for freeway use in countries where other vehicles are similar size ;)