1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL: CD's fine but radio horrible

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by r1perkins, Mar 25, 2005.

1. r1perkins

r1perkins New Member

Just got my new Prius AI and I am really enjoying driving it - really cool car.

I know there's been lot's of discussion about the short-comings of the upgraded JBL stereo but I seem to have a problem I couldn't find any discussion of; while the audio system is not fabulous, CD's and cassettes sound ok. But switch to any FM radio station and it sounds like your listening through a blanket. Even if I max out the treble it's still painfully lacking. I'm wondering if this goes beyond poor sound quality to an actual malfunction . . . has anyone had similar experiences?

I'm an audio engineer by trade. I can tell you that when listening to FM stations, there is audio emanating from the tweeters. But it sounds to me like there's nothing above 4KHz or so, as if it's AM. If I switch to CD or tape, I get full range sound, or at least up to 16KHz (or so).

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I find playing store-bought CDs a lot better than ones I made from MP3s (CD -> MP3 -> CD) but I agree that for the most part, either has better sound than the radio. Every once in a while, though, I hear nice nuances from the radio and CD at lower volume that disappear when I crank it, which sucks because cranked (50) is usually more fun...

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul\";p=\"75768)</div>
    Which makes me wonder: just what is the upper limit of the Prius audio system and speakers.

I've had the music turned up to 35 (I do enjoy Linkin Park) a couple times and worried about the speakers. I have to turn it up to 35 - 40 to hear audiobooks over ambient road noise. But just what is the upper limit? If it matters, I'm talking BC package JBL stereo.

4. Rumply

Rumply New Member

Someone here disassembled the JBL system and ran tests on the output.. finding as I remember problems and suggested solutions. Might want to search for JBL uncovered and see if you can see what was done there.
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/jbl-premiu...ered-vt7284.htm

AS for my system... I've never really noticed much wrong with the sound.. but I play CDs a vast majority of the time... and when I do have the radio on, it is usually news...

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

On all radios, I have never found my station to broadcast very well. Many stations these days store songs on their computers, so they may be using MP3 compressed songs.
    FM has an upper limit of about 19KHz due to the stereo pilot tone.

Interesting enought, TV uses 15Khz to correspond with the horizontal sync.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony, if you're talking about the vol, it goes up to 62

7. r1perkins

r1perkins New Member

After having the car a few more days I continue to be amazed at how cool it is in so many ways. But I'm finding that every time I switch to or from the radio I have to change the eq setting, drastically. And it takes a few steps to many to be doing so it so often. CD's sound fine, but I think I'm going to bring this back the dealer and have it looked at. I'll post whatever happens . . . I wonder if the radio is a warranty item . . .

Anyways, thanks for the responses. I had been wondering how far you could turn it up, too!