1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL Navi on a 2011 Prius THREE - touch screen is out

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Big80s, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Big80s

Big80s New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello friends,

This is my first post to the forums, but I've been a reader for quite a while - so thank you if you've answered some of my questions without having known it :)

So here's my issue, the touch screen on my JBL Nav system (I drive a 2011 Prius Three, not III as Roman Numerals were for model year 2010) has gone out. The face code on this model is E7022, if that helps. I brought this into my Toyota dealership, and was told that they could not asses the issue or even reset the unit, because it's all done through the touch screen interface. Then I was basically told that I needed to buy a new unit.

Here's my issue with this - the system was working fine except the touch screen. The mapping was fine (though I obviously couldn't enter new destinations in), the radio was fine, and the ipod I had plugged into the system still worked. I feel like buying a brand new unit is the equivalent of selling your car because your tires went flat.

Has anyone had a touch screen go out on them? And if so - did you buy a new unit or were you able to find a place to get it fixed. The service department at this dealership will not go into the unit to repair anything. On a related note - JBL won't mess with it, because it's Toyota factory-installed.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Hl

2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My advice is to consider these options:
    • Search the web for troubleshooting options -you may find a solution.
    • Try to find recycled parts from a wrecked vehicle.
    • Look for 3rd-party replacement units.
    • Learn to live with it as it is.

Saint likes this.
  3. rko7

rko7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Jeff,

I just happened to come across your post and I seem to be having the exact same problem with my 2010 Prius III. The touch screen has gone out completely yet the screen still shows the navigation map and the radio works if I access via the buttons on the side (or steering wheel).

I just talked with my local Toyota dealer and they quoted me $2,400 for a refurbished unit. Plus, another $250 in labor.

One thing that I haven't tried yet is to replace the 12v auxillary battery. On another blog, someone had mentioned that a low or faulty battery had affected their display on a 2nd generation Prius.

I haven't come across anyone with a similar problem until now! Were you able to find a solution? Any help is much appreciated!

Ryan

4. copter

copter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I"m probably going to pull my 2010 Nav unit out next month. It will be for sale cheap!

5. appletini

appletini New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Guys,
    I just wanted to share my story.
    My JBL on my '11 prius also went bad and didn't register touch, initially when it did it was doing it in the wrong place. eventually it stopped working all together with my speakers only sounding on the back (touching one part of the screen moved them to the back) , no bluetooth, no maps.. nada. Of course, ran out of warranty 20 miles ago.
    So i went to toyota and they quoted me over $6000 dollars to replace the whole unit. Ha ha ha. really??? for that I rather put a down payment for a new prius!
    I read the other forums and learned about the DIY replacement of the screen and I did order the part for $80.
    I never got to install it because I got scared that I could mess up something and make it worse. I am a better cook than a mechanic.
    Then I found this place in Van Nuys, CA called Hi-Tech. Its all about electronic services for cars, instrument clusters, audio, video etc.
    Love, love love the place and the owner! He discovered it was not the touch screen but the control panel. Fixed the whole thing in about an hour for $380.
    What a life saver they are! I am back to enjoying the sound system, and all the functionality on the MDF.
    So if any of you are in So Cal, now you know where to go!

Scarlet347 and Saint like this.
  6. JHB

JHB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you so much, I'm 20 minutes from Van Nuys, just called for quote, $395-$500 instead of dealer for $2000 to replace non/partial working touchscreen! Really appreciate it!