1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JBL System front speaker full range output?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Winston, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was just wondering about the "premium" JBL front speaker outputs. As most of you know, the amp has separate outputs for the front tweeters and the front woofers. I am sure that the lows have been removed from the tweeter speaker wires, but I wonder if the highs are still included in the woofer speaker wire? After all a woofer does not care that much if the highs are there, it just cannot reproduce them. I wonder if it is possible to use the front woofer speaker outputs and hook them up to high quality component speakers. Maybe the high range sound is there?

Any thoughts on this?

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With the JBL system, the front speakers (woofer+tweeter) are digitally cross-over at the amp. The amp has seperate outputs to the tweeter and the woofer. The rear channels are full signal with the high frequencies being passively crossed-over at the tweeter with a capacitor.

3. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 31 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]504990[/snapback]</div>
    I know that there are separate outputs for the front tweeters and woofers. I just wonder if they bothered to put a real crossover in the amp. Maybe the woofer outputs are actually full range outputs?

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There was a guide some time ago regarding the JBL setup. It labeled all the wires, as well as a test of the signal range to the speakers. It was found that the tweeter and woofer on the front channels were digitally crossed-over at the amp. The woofer only got signals below a frequency and the tweeter only received signals about a certain frequency.

It sure would've been nice if the front woofers were full range. It probably would've made my wiring a bit easier on my initial setup. I remember I had to use the rear channels as my source due to the digital crossover of the front channels.

5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the follow up Presto.