1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Our 2010 Prius jerks at speed of 15-20 mph and or when letting off the accelerator. I changed the spark plugs & filter. Also, cleaned out EGR tube, throttle body and intake manifold. thinking these might be it. These did make minor improvements, but the issue remains. No codes. Any ideas?

#1 TwoPriusInTenn, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How many miles? Any other problems or issues prior to the "jerking"?

3. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    176,000. No real problem to speak of.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When you cleaned the intake manifold and egr pipe, how much carbon buildup was there? Clean the throttle body and MAF sensor? Change the pcv valve? Any oil consumption?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you elaborate on the "jerking"? what does that behavior do?

6. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Minor oil consumption. Did not change pcv valve. I will try that and let you know the results. Thank you.

7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Unfortunate. The pcv is right there with the intake manifold off. If you try to access it from underneath it's a tight squeeze. There is a video of how to do it though. Changed the tag fluid as well as the inverter coolant?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There aren't that many things that can make a Prius jerk. usually it would be related to a transmission problem or air fuel mixture problem. But I would check the following areas

1. spark plugs to make sure it's the correct Denso plugs and the gap is correct
    2. make sure MAF sensor is working properly and air filter is clean
    3. air fuel/oxygen sensor/catalytic converter might have a problem

Since the Prius has a CVT transaxle, I don't see this ever being jerky, there's no shifting gears

9. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is it more of a "pulse" ? I have noticed ..something ........with our 2011 w/150 at the 15-20mph mark .. it then goes away at higher speeds. It's most noticeable under light throttle as you pass the 15mph mark.

10. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When the intake manifold was taken out and cleaned did u noticed the small holes at the bottom of the 4 big intakes holes ??? Did u cleared them too all the way thru???

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base

12. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I replaced the pcv valve this evening. Intake manifold, throttle body and all hoses were/are still clean from earlier troubleshooting. Once everything was put back together, I took it for a test drive. During this drive I paid close attention to the when the jerking was taking place in reference to the gas pedal. When the pedal is pushed 1-1 1/2 inches and kept there (no accelerating or de-accelererating) that is when we feel the jerking. Feels as though it might be an air/fuel problem. When the accelerator is pushed beyond this point. It decreases, if not goes away.
    MAF also appears clean. Air filter is brand new. Any ideas?

13. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes. Thank you. All holes and accessible areas were cleaned.

14. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Some other questions about other maintenance you have done. Have you changed the atf fluid? What about further back in the intake, namely the egr pipe, egr valve, egr cooler: ever touch them or clean them? What about transition between the engines: any hesitation or rough transition? How much carbon depositing had you seen initially, and how many miles ago was your initial intake cleaning?

Some others have posted video for audio of the issue. If you can do that safely, that may help with additional troubleshooting or diagnosis.

15. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I did remove the egr pipe (pictured below) and cleaned it out. That is as far as I went beyond the intake manifold. I have included pictures of the carbon deposits in the intake manifold and egr pipe. All were cleaned out a couple weeks ago (approx. 300 miles).

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the pics :). Based on the deposits found and what looks to be clogging in the egr manifold ports which is restricting air flow. These are the small holes on the lower side of the intake manifold.

What cleaning did you do to the intake manifold? Did you rod the ports out, then do a flow test to confirm the ports are clear? While the intake manifold was off, did you change the pcv valve? Clean throttle body?

17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Based on the level of carbon deposits found in the egr pipe to the intake manifold, I also suspect the egr valve and cooler will have carbon deposits.

Of course cleaning these are more involved :(. I have cleaned all the way from the egr cooler through the intake manifold. The cooler and egr valve took me and my old man 8 hours to do both ( I feel this is a two person operation--> 1 underneath the car and 1 above). I also planned ahead and got spare egr valve and egr cooler to ensure I had a clean system.

18. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Mystery solved! It was the small holes in each of the intakes. They had so much deposit, I could even see three of them. They are all clear and the car runs like a new one!

Thank you everyone for your assistance!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Glad to hear it worked out for you(y).

Keep in the back of your mind about the egr and egr cooler. Those deposits are still there if they have not been attended to and can cause the same air restricted behavior. But that's a battle for another day.

Keep driving and enjoying your Prius:)!

20. Keturah

Keturah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi there! I'm having the same issues with my Prius as you describe in the beginning of the post... did cleaning those intake holes out fix it indefinitely? I had an auto shop tell me it my head gasket ($75 part and $2400 labor), but I don't seem to have the symptoms of a cracked or blown head gasket. I'm hoping I just hit the jackpot in this thread!