1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jerky Acceleration?! Not my perfect Prius! :'(

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 2010_Prius_I_White, Jun 6, 2013.

1. 2010_Prius_I_White

2010_Prius_I_White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's been over 100*F in Las Vegas recently, and we just started running our AC on BLAST (Auto, 74*), and my perfect Prius has been giving me acceleration issues... When it's in PWR mode (100% of the time) and the AC is full blast, and I punch it, the car hesitates, jerks forwards, hesitates, jerks again, then eventually once it's over 15-20 mph it smooths out and goes. Just to add to the chaos, for the first time ever in my life, I actually HEARD the fan from the vent for the battery. It was pushing air out after I parked the car. Never heard that before, ever! So any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want my Prius to be as perfect as it's always been... :( OH and BTW, I pretty much drive the heck out of that thing. I like how it goes around corners and the acceleration in PWR mode.

2010 Prius
    75,000 miles

Sorry if I left anything out. TYIA Pri Fam!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what does the SOC / battery icon display when this happens?

2010_Prius_I_White likes this.
  3. 2010_Prius_I_White

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It varies. It's been 70%, 30%, you name it. But that vent sound was so weird... and BTW my vent is not nor has it ever been blocked. It's just very hot here. Probably gonna get up to 110* today...

4. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds serious enough to take it to the dealer,, sorry, and good luck with that.
    The car should feel normal no matter what the SOC is.

BTW, the acceleration/power from the engine is the same no matter what "Mode" you have it in.
    Full throttle = Full available power.

Also, if you haven't tinted your windows yet, this is an amazing product.
    Some Tint Shops have an impressive demonstration device in the office to show off this film.
    3M™ Crystalline Automotive Films

I did just my back window and the top of the windshield.
    If I lived in your climate I'd spend the bucks to have it all over.

5. 2010_Prius_I_White

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Awww, c'mon man! This is PriusChat! We do stuff ourselvess! lol, jk. I just would rather figure it out and fix it myself. There's only one dealer I could take it to, and I can't take it to them (shady, rip-off, all the other dealer problems). Especially with a 2010, they'll see the money from a mile away. Any ideas how to fix it?

BTW, I drove it in normal mode (not PWR) and it didn't do that today. It usually happens when I've been driving in PWR mode for a while though, so maybe the battery is overheating???

Thanks.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since you're "punching it", are you triggering the traction control? Is the skid light coming on?

If the car was left out in the blazing sun, I'm sure the car and HV battery got pretty hot. There's a reference in the manual on page 33. (I've visited Vegas a few times during the summer before. Man, it is HOT. 109 F in the afternoon isn't unusual and can still be 90s at night...)
    I'm not saying your vent is blocked, but perhaps there is a temporary reduction in output due to the high temp.

7. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, if you have an android phone or tablet you could buy the $5 Torque app and the little OBD II to BT adaptor (~$20) and start trouble shooting yourself. Search PC for info.
    It will show you so much data your head will spin...
    You can see battery temps, battery moduleΔ , mg1 and 2 temps and so much more I don't know where to start.

Good job of finding the normal/PWR issue. But still, if you are flogging the car, full power is full power no matter what. And there is nothing wrong with "putting the spurs to 'er" either!!

I agree with you on dealers. I dread the day I have to turn my car over to them. I have a Brake Recall pending and I'm nervous about that.....

8. 2010_Prius_I_White

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

I trigger the traction control often when going around turns, but I've learned how to not make the tires spin when starting from a stopped position.

UPDATE:
    I just bought and installed a new air filter. I will let you guys know if that does anything or makes any difference. My hypothesis is that if the engine was not getting enough air, it wasn't putting out enough power, and the battery was having to make up for that, and therefore would get overheated.

9. 2010_Prius_I_White

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

I do have an iPad. You think that might work? That would be awesome to find out that info! Can't wait to check it out! What's the app called? Torque?

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might be triggering stability control in the 1st case. On Gen 2 Priuses, IIRC, the skid light blinks accompanied by beeping (as opposed to no beeping when traction control is triggered).

Personally, I'm not sure why you're driving that way...

11. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Torque is the name of the android only app, sorry. At least I think so...
    There are inexpensive 7" droid tablets out there just recently.
    < $200, a much better tablet than an old fashion mini ipad. ;)
    The really cheap knock off ones don't have accelerometers, magnetometers and GPS.
    You need that for all the cool navigation, time to speed and horse power calculations.

I plan on getting one soon and mounting it just forward of the steering wheel. It will display many analog-style gauges. And play music !!:)
    I originally bought it and the adapter just to turn off the reverse beeper. Well worth the price.

I don't think slightly dirty air filters could ever make the surges you are talking about.
    Sounds like you have a real issue there,, unless,, are you sure you are not losing traction from condensation puddles, oil spills, the tears of gamblers or molten asphalt?

cwer, He's driving like that because it's fun ! So what if it costs a buck more.
    Do Senior Members remember fun?

12. 2010_Prius_I_White

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

I actually do it for a couple reasons: To prove the PriPri gets up and pwns other cars AND because it's fun ;) I just want to test the mechanics and quality of the vehicle to see if I should be purchasing the new ones when they come out. Kinda my version of a torture test. I still get 42mpg though! lol.

13. 2010_Prius_I_White

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Now THAT WOULD be SO worth it! $200 is nothing if I can have my music, see what the battery temp is, check HP and Torque, engine temp, and all that?! Oh yeah. That's definitely an overlooked PERFORMANCE upgrade.

14. 2010_Prius_I_White

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    UPDATE:
    Since I've installed the new air filter, the AC has definitely been running cooler and I have not had this issue again. I will keep this updated so others can see what the outcome was.

Thanks for all the help Pri brethren!

15. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Huh? Engine or Cabin Air filter? That does not make sense either way.

Yeah, it sounds like you are a good candidate to monitor the temp of everything you can.
    Let me guess, Black Pruis parked outside every where you go???

Mine is white with the Solar Sun Roof and it still gets hot inside the cabin sitting in the sun.
    How hot? I don't know yet. But I have the technology to answer that question!

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, ok... but I have attended a class at

ProFormance Racing School-
    Competition and High Performance Driving
    long ago. Some of what the OP's doing may not be safe. There's an emphasis on smooth inputs (to the wheel, brakes and accelerator). Sudden jerky input to any of those can yield large weight transfers and isn't the best way drive fast around a track.

And, he could be inviting accidents. For example, what if he's taking a turns so fast to trigger VSC/VDC often and there's something that triggers a loss of traction (e.g. wet out and a manhole cover or something, unexpected dip or bump midturn causing unexpected weight transfer and traction loss). That could be a recipe for disaster if there are adjacent cars.

I used to have a 350Z and would take some turns quickly but in it but it wasn't the case most of the time.

BTW, another possibility (if the engine was already warm) is he was hitting spark knock or close to it, and the engine had to cut power or retard timing to prevent spark knock. My Gen 2 Prius (different engine than the OP) running on 87 octane sometimes has spark knock on hot days. I now tend to run 89 or 91 octane in the summer to prevent it.

17. 2010_Prius_I_White

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Blizzard Pearl White and it was the engine air filter. It was probably really dirty? IDK..

18. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So how does that relate to the AC being better???

Oh well,, have a good hot weekend !!

(I think you were accelerating over patches of hooker sweat and gambler tears but couldn't see it for all the blinking lights. Traction Control don't give a chit)

19. 2010_Prius_I_White

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I will keep that in mind. I think if you rode with me, you would see it's not unsafe, but it's hard to put it into words. :) I agree with you though.

20. 2010_Prius_I_White

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    UPDATE:
    My Prius has not done the jerky acceleration thing again. Not sure what caused it, but I take it a little easier now when it's in PWR mode and 110* out, so that's a thought.