1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jumped another car using the Auxiliary battery...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by masterjosue, Jan 14, 2014.

1. masterjosue

masterjosue New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So here's the story...

I own a 2005 Prius, bought it used with 150K+ miles. I have put about 15K on it since then with no problems whatsoever. Then I made the stupid & boneheaded mistake of jumping another vehicle from my Prius, using the Auxiliary battery, instead of the terminal under the hood (STUPID, I know...)

At the time, lots of lights flashed & the screen display showed "transmission lock". After scrambling through the owners manual & not finding much to help me, I started it up and everything had basically reset after 10 or 15 minutes. I drove it for another week or so with ZERO problems. Soon after that, the auxiliary battery died. Using help from the forum & Youtube, I replaced the battery myself with no issues. HOWEVER...

Once I started the car with the new auxiliary battery, the warning light, brake light, & check engine light all came on. Car is definitely not performing as normal. Cuts on and off a lot even when parked. Battery won't hold a charge. Dealership is telling me I need a new hybrid battery & computer for around $4,000.

Here's my questions:
    -Did I fry the hybrid battery & computer by jumping from the aux battery?
    -Any suggestions on where to buy refurbished or salvage Hybrid batteries online if that is the problem?

HELP!!!!! Thanks in advance!

2. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What's your location? There are numerous rebuilts available from ebay and a Google search should reveal some more choices. Sorry about your loss.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The terminals under the hood are for jump starting the Prius using another vehicle's battery, with the other vehicle not running. The Prius should never be used to jump start another vehicle.

If you are desperate, you can try to get enough charge into the other vehicle's battery with the Prius, before disconnecting the jumper cables and trying to start the other vehicle.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, you didn't fry the hybrid battery by doing that. It is likely that your hybrid battery has died due to normal wear and tear. What codes did the dealer get from the car? Post them here with any three digit subcodes as well.

masterjosue likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I guess you didn't read the part that said the OP replaced the 12v battery with a new one?

6. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, I read it all, I was just answering his question. That's why I asked for the codes. In reality, there is no possible way to fry an hv battery with the 12V (either by jumping it or replacing it) even if you hook it up wrong. You can fry an inverter but not an hv battery.

xpcman and xliderider like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat, all the best!(y)

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like you left the Prius in READY when you did this jumpstart. Actually, it would have been much worse to use the jumpstart terminal under the hood as a means to start another vehicle.

If you must use the Prius as a jumpstart source, the car should be IG-OFF and the jumper cables should be connected directly to the Prius 12V battery making sure not to reverse jumper cable polarity. In that case, any possible damage would be limited to draining the 12V battery itself while the Prius electronics should be OK.

Since the above concept is too difficult for some to master, the normal suggestion on the PC forum is to absolutely refrain from using Prius as a jumpstart source.

You did not damage the traction battery or traction battery ECU by performing a jumpstart.
    Dorman is one source of "refurb" batteries: Dorman Hybrid Drive Batteries

When you say, "Battery won't hold a charge": are you referring to the 12V battery or the high voltage traction battery?

If the 12V battery, maybe you blew the 100A DC/DC fusible link. This is located in the main relay/fuse box, within a 5" long whitish/clear plastic box. If that link is blown, the 5" box containing several fusible links must be replaced.

As previously suggested, you need the DTC that had been logged by the various ECUs, to provide more clues about the car's problem.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is possible you fried the 201 volt to12 volt converter, in the inverter

10. masterjosue

masterjosue New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I'm working on getting the codes from the dealer & will post them as soon as I do... thanks!

11. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, sounds good. Make sure you get the "subcodes" as well, they will be a 3 digit number.

12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be curious what codes are showing up.

Usually when jump start procedure is done incorrectly fuses get blown, or inverter gets blown. But they are different codes from hv battery. Also the car alerts you to the problems right away, so the fact that you drove without incident for a week is interesting.

You could also check the wiring around the 12v battery, since you said the new problems did not show up until after replacement of the 12v battery?

If you do end up getting a replacement high voltage pack, I encourage you to use a reputable source.
    Would you be putting it in yourself?
    Or do you have a reputable independent mechanic who will put the pack in for you?
    If it comes to getting a battery feel free to give me a call, I can point you in the right direction.

13. masterjosue

masterjosue New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I finally got the dealer to give me the code. Apparently it was one code... P0A80. He said their scanner simply says, "Replace Hybrid Battery". Does that sound right to you guys?

We also got a code with our scanner that read p1080. Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated!!!

14. masterjosue

masterjosue New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P0A80 ...this is the code I got from the dealer

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmm, would be helpful to have subcodes to see a bit more detail.

When I see these it usually means that there are bad cells in the HV battery.
    This should not be related to jumping the car.
    Coincidental?

I would first clear the codes and see if they return.

If they return in a short amount of time, then I would say then you'll have to discuss battery options.
    Be assured that you do not have to pay $4,000 for a replacement battery.
    Feel free to give me a call. I can help point you in the right direction.

16. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the P0A80 code indicates there's an issue either with the HV traction battery or the battery ECU. The P0A80 code is triggered when the voltage difference between battery blocks exceeds the standard.

17. masterjosue

masterjosue New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there any way of telling if the battery is ok, and if it's just the ECU that needs replacing? I hate to replace both if it's not necessary.

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It would be necessary to open up the traction battery and measure the voltages of each of the 28 modules. If one module is definitely lower than the others, that module has failed. If all 28 modules show similar voltages, then the ECU may have failed.

If you should decide to use a remanufactured battery or buy a used battery from a salvage yard, those units will come with a used traction battery ECU.

This is an issue only if you want to buy a new battery, since the new battery does not come with a traction battery ECU. The dealer tech has to swap the system main relays and the traction battery ECU from the original battery enclosure to the new battery enclosure.

19. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you have the right equipment you do not need to open up the battery. I can scan this at my shop within 30 minutes and pinpoint the problem. The dealer could do the same.

Are you anywhere near Madison, WI?

M470BSA ?

20. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let's slow down here.
    1) Did the dealer reset the code?
    2) If so, how does it drive? Did the code come back right away? Does it still cut in and out like before?
    3) Pls call the dealer and ask them for the 3 digit subcode that accompanies that code and post that info here.

If the code is coming back right away and the car is not drivable, the likely scenario is that your hybrid battery is bad. If it drives fine and the code didn't come right back, the likely scenario is that your hybrid battery is going bad. There are numerous options as others have said. The car is def fixable for anywhere from <$500 to $3500 depending on the route you desire to take.