1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just added a few Accessories - here is my installation experience

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Sandtiger, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Sandtiger

Sandtiger New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I recently added a few safety and protection accessories to my 2014 Prius v Model 3. So here is my take on the installation processes and “helpful hints” for door edge guards, side moldings and horn upgrade. Sorry there are no pictures or links, but I’m still subject to the new poster restrictions. I have put a side molding photo on my avatar, so you can see that addition.

Item 1 – Color matched (Barcelona Red) door edge guards (Toyota EOM). These are metal, u-shape, cover about 80% of the edges and have a noticeable plastic coating to protect door edges from chipping and exposing bare metal, (a problem with my previous car, a Honda CRV). My assessment is they are high quality, exact paint match and more professional solution than the generic plastic strips I’ve seen at auto stores.

Included are 4 contoured edge guards, marked by door. The on-line instructions (none included, but I they are available at the referenced site below) include 4 cutout templates to print and use as guides (tape them around the door handles.) The templates importantly show 1) where to align the top of the guards and, 2) where to begin the hammering process. Be sure to use a rubber mallet with both soft and hard sides. I found one at Lowe’s for about $15. A 1” diameter face mallet will work the best (regular hammer head size) as opposed to larger ones.

Pay attention to the initial indicated starting point as noted on the template. Also, be sure the u-shaped channel fits directly into the door edge and tap it in about every inch with the soft side of the hammer. Then go over the entire length with the hard side, gently! Listed for the satisfying solid “clunk,” similar to when you find a wall stud. These are compression-type fittings and you are advised not to pull them out once started, so you only get one good shot at it!

The forum already has some great pictures and discussion on door edge guards.
    Instructions, with templates, can be found at the juiced hybrid website.

Important aside! If you have hand-painted pinstripes, be very careful cleaning the door edges prior to installation. I used the recommended isopropyl alcohol and accidently “rubbed out” about a quarter-inch of my pinstripes! I’ll find some light gray auto enamel and fix it. The guards take about 15 minutes to install, once you get past the nervousness associated with taking a hammer to a new car.

Item 2 – OEM door side tapered molding. I prefer the “swept” style of the tapered version (as opposed to the straight “bar” design). Both can be seen at the Prius Chat Shop. I think the moldings add a modest degree of protection from other car doors, visually serve to break up the expanse of door metal and look very “sporty”. The moldings are plastic but of factory quality, well formed and an exact paint match. I elected to stray from the directions (available at the Chat Shop) and added a 2” rake (following the upper body accent line), rather than the much flatter ½ inch rake described in the directions.

To do, so I measured (at the door bottoms) 24” out from where the two doors meet (front and back). From those points I measured “up” 13 5/8” for the back door and 11 5/8” for the front. As you can see from the photo, I ended up with a rake that is approximately level with the top of the back tire and at the top 1/3rd mark of the front tire. It may be at a little sharper angle than the upper body accent line, but works pretty well, in my opinion and adds a bit of “flair”.

Installation tips include: 1) use blue painter’s tape to mark your line 2) measure, measure and re-measure 3) tape the moldings in place from the top and use the tape as a “hinge” to flip up the molding for peeling the adhesive backing. The removal of the backing is a bit difficult , so I would “start” a small portion (1/4 inch) prior to taping it on the car. But be sure not to allow this exposed tape to stick to the car prior to your final installation. My total installation time was about an hour.

Good forum discussion can be found on side moldings as well.

I got both the items via online website from Greg at Sparks Toyota (google their website) in Myrtle Beach SC (Thanks!) and paid about $110 for the side moldings, $60 for the door edge guards. I originally worked with the Prius Chat Shop but, unfortunately, the Shop was not able to obtain my specific color. However, Danny graciously suggested using Sparks, who came through for me. I’ll continue to use the Chat Shop, as I have had great experience (and excellent pricing) with Danny in obtaining my Weathertech floor mats (awesome quality) and Shark Fin antenna.

Item 3 – FIAMM 74100 El Grande twin horns. There’s a lot of discussion on the forum regarding new horns, as the stock ones “may be” a little on the anemic side (at least in my judgment). I elected to go with the FIAMM El Grande horns which have a solid “get your attention” sound (There are lots of sound bites on Youtube.) I obtained them from Amazon for $19.94 (for 2 horns) with Amazon Prime shipping available. They are truly “plug and play” as in, all you need do is remove the existing horns and replace them with the FIAMMs. No extra fuses, wiring or parts necessary.

There is also extensive discussion on various horns and installation in the forums.

Step one is to remove the radiator cover at the front of the engine compartment. The 2014 v radiator cover is held by 3 plastic fasteners. Just push down on the inner center button of each fastener and it will release. Do not attempt to “pry” the fastener up, as you will break it! Just push down (there will be an audible “click”) and pull up the now-loose fastener. This allows you to lift the radiator cover and expose the horns, which are in front of the radiator (note how the cover and its front flanges slide out of the metal frame). There should be ample room (tight – but doable) for the average person’s hands to complete the installation – I had no need to take off the front grill.

The horns (one on the left and one on the right) are on 4” arm mounts and secured by a 10mm nut. A small ¼ socket wrench works well to remove the nut, or use a small wrench. The electrical connectors have a side push release button. Push in on the button and rock the connector side to side while pulling it out by the hard plastic piece (do not pull on the wire itself). I found it was best to remove the passenger’s side horn from its arm mount, then remove the electrical connector. The opposite was true for the driver’s side (at least for me.) Next, slide the electrical connector onto the FIAMM horn (the new horn has a metal connector, not a plastic fitting, like the original horn – but it fits fine) and, using the nuts included with the FIAMM (they are more solid than the factory nuts), attach each horn to the existing arm. I found I had to slightly bend the arm mounts to make for adequate clearance, since the new horns are larger than the originals. Be sure and aim the business end of the new horns down toward the ground. This will keep rain from getting into the mechanism.

Once you have tightened the horns and tested them, place the radiator cover back in place. Finally, pull the center fastener buttons all the way up so the body of the fastener fits in its hole (through the plastic radiator cover and body support metal) and then gently push the center fastener button down until it is level with the outer rim, expands and clicks! That’s it! Total installation time was about an hour. You will only need a 10mm socket (using a small ¼ “ wrench – the 3/8th with the necessary adapter is too big) or a 10mm wrench.

Now, to quote South Park’s Eric Cartman – Others will “respect your authori-tah!”

Next up - Wheelskins steering wheel cover and perhaps later this summer – Clazzio leather seat covers!

Thanks to Danny at Prius Chat and Sparks Toyota! Please let me know if you have any questions and I will attempt to answer them.

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just ordered the horns (an Easter present for ChuggyPig) based on your review & write up! Thanks for sharing, and I'll post my progress!