1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just checked out the new Subaru Crossover hybrid..

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Northernguy, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Northernguy

Northernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After taking a beating this winter driving my Prius v up here in Wisconsin's north woods; thought it was time to see what was available in an all wheel drive hybrid. The Subaru dealership is just down the road from us, so decided to stop in and check out their hybrid. Well right off the bat I discovered it was much smaller than my v, and mileage ratings is closer to the mid twenties that to the low forties. I really miss my 2006 Rav 4. Since we spend much time at our cottage; and almost every weekend we are driving in through 5 -10 inches of snow; I haven't been able to take the Prius. Which means on most weekends I've had to take the gas guzzling Ford Sport Trac.
    Anyone out there heard any rumors about building a Prius with all wheel drive? Sure would be nice in the snowy parts of the country.

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove a Crosstrek a few months ago shopping for new car for my sis-in-law. For what it is, it's not a bad vehicle. Didn't see the need to look at the Hybrid because mpg difference wasn't much. If Toyota could figure out how to do an AWD Prius that gets 40 mpg, I think they would have a hit on their hands!

CanuckPT likes this.
  3. pfjmarina

pfjmarina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got my parents into a new (2013) Rav 4 last summer. They're in northern Michigan so have similar winter conditions to yours in Wisconsin. They're getting close to 30 mpg which surprised me a bit. Don't need the AWD out here in coastal CA so our 2011 Prius hatchback and 2013 Prius v are perfect, but I was very impressed with the RAV 4.

4. Northernguy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I agree with you…they need to come out with an AWD Prius for us northern folks. I have had two Subaru's in the past, and really liked them; but gas mileage isn't the best, and I noticed that their Crossover needed the second grade gasoline.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    How about replace the sport-trac with a used Ford Escape Hybrid AWD?

6. CanuckPT

CanuckPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I live SW NH. We have 3 Toyotas - a 2002 Sienna XLE; a 2006 Tacoma Quad Cab Sport & a 2009 RAV4 Limited. I love my Tacoma & I use it to plow & sand but I'm getting nauseous every time I pull up to the pump these days. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2014 Prius v 5 - I need room for at least 2 hockey bags! The Sienna has become disposable & will be going up for sale. On ugly snow days the Prius will stay home & my Tacoma will be getting me to work but I no longer want to get 15 mpg on my daily commute. When you need a truck you need a truck - but I don't need my Tacoma to commute daily! I am soooo looking forwards to becoming a Prius owner!

miscrms likes this.
  7. Northernguy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think you'll miss the Sienna after you get the Prius. If you like the amount of space you have in your RAV, you'll be happy with the room in the Prius v; they seem to have about the same amount of space. BTY, the Prius isn't too bad in snow as long as it doesn't get too deep.

CanuckPT likes this.
  8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    or wait for the upcoming Lexus 300h (based off the RAV4 platform):

[​IMG]

Northernguy likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how about a car with ice front wheel drive and motors on the rear wheels?

CanuckPT likes this.
  10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Here in Europe there's the Peugot 3008 Hybrid 4, Diesel engine drives the front and Electric drives the rear, expensive and not as refined as the Prius apparently.