1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just got new tires, now have tire pressure warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Katrina O, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Katrina O

Katrina O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got new tires on Saturday (Yokohama YK580s, for anyone interested) from Discount Tire. Everything was fine, until driving home from work today the tire pressure warning light comes on. I haven't actually been to check the pressure or anything (can't find my gauge, and it's dark & rainy out as far as going to a gas station goes). If I remember correctly, it blinked at first, but now it's steadily illuminated (with the Power on) which the manual seems to say means something other than simply adjusting tire pressure.

What little I can glean from the owner's manual seems to imply that perhaps when the new tires were installed they didn't put on the right valves? Hope it's not too dangerous to drive like this, since not sure when I'll be able to take it anywhere, if it is more complicated than just adjusting the pressure.

Advice appreciated. I like to stay away from the dealer unless absolutely necessary ...

thanks

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you have low pressure on a tire!
    So you must check pressure and adjust or find leak.
    As a minimum inspect for flat tire.

Perhaps you hit a nail or they did not get a good seal at Discount Tire.
    make sure your small spare is up to pressure, and you may need to use it.
    Get to Discount Tire or gaso service station for a check.

#2 wjtracy, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't done that enough to know on my Prius.

But on my Subaru, that pattern, blinking then going steady, means that at least one TPMS sensor is not being detected. This happens twice a year when I swap seasonal tire/wheel sets and forget to change the stored sensor codes.

I'll suggest that something went wrong with at least one valve stem / sensor assembly. Damaged in place, or replaced and not re-programmed, etc. Go back to the tire shop and have them check it. Because this happened promptly after their work, it should not cost anything to diagnose, or to reprogram a swapped sensor. That may not apply to replacement of a non-functioning sensor.

#3 fuzzy1, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II