1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Got One! Opinions on Ext. Warranty?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ryanmx48, May 15, 2013.

1. ryanmx48

ryanmx48 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Guys,

I got a new job with a longer commute so I needed a more economical car in the family. I went down to look at Prius's and Corolla's and bought a Prius! This is a bit of a deviation from the norm for me, usually I will car shop for a long time before I pull the trigger, but I've been intrigued by the Prius for a while. Everything seemed to fall right into place so I did it!

I got a 2013 Prius Two. There was a special on this particular blue one. I got it for 21,995 + $360 for the paperwork, etc. I also got zero percent financing through Toyota on the small amount that I financed. Anyway, happy so far. I really enjoy this little car!

My computer said I got 50.6 miles on my first tank, my calculations came out to 49.5, so I'm pretty impressed.

One thing though. I almost never get extended warranties on anything, but I got one with this car. The guy kept lowering and lowering the price and then upped the mileage as well. I ended up paying $1600 for a 125,000 miles extended warranty through Toyota. The fact that it is through Toyota kind of sealed it, but I'm second guessing my self.

I can cancel this warranty anytime. One of the reason's I got the car is because of the proven reliability. Can I get some oppinions? Do I need this warranty or should I get rid of it?

Thanks

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Congrats on the new purchase.

Get rid of the extended warranty is my opinion as well as the opinion of quite a many other whenever this question comes up.

3. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused:I assume you rolled the cost of the extended warranty into your zero percent financing. If so, keep it for now, as your have nothing invested in it and see how your Prius does with higher mileage, You can cancel years from now and get a nice refund.

4. ryanmx48

ryanmx48 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys.

Yes, I rolled it in. Payment went from 156/mo to 183. No big deal. If I cancel I'll keep the 183 payment but will pay it off sooner.

Yeah man, the 0%, the cheaper cost of the warranty and extension out to 125k, plus the fact that the warranty is actually through Toyota kinda made me feel like it might be a good deal.

From what I've seen though, these cars are super reliable with minimal maintenance so I'm already feeling like I want to pull the ext. warranty.