1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Katzkin leather for 2012

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Caydoc, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Caydoc

Caydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On my 2011 Prius, dealer installed Katzkin leather, which was perforated on seat surfaces and backs. Today, I had Katzkin put on 2012 and was surprised that it was not perforated, but solid. I called the K. company about this and was told that the new kit for the 2012 Prius does not have perforated leather; this is available only with a "special order", considerably more $$$. This may be of no concern to many, but in hot climates such as ours, the perfs are a lot more comfortable. FWIW. New buyers may want to be aware of this change.

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got dealer installed Katzkin on my 2012. I had a choice of the solid vs the perforated. I went with perforated center. As far as I'm aware, there was no extra charge for perforation. But I did pay $50 more for 2-tone.

How much extra were you quoted for the perforated leather?

[​IMG]

3. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are the door panel inserts and center console automatically included in the price or are they extra?

4. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They were included. From what I read around here before, I believe that's how the kits come, with door panels (front and back) and center console.

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are the kits different for the 2012s vs 2011s?

6. Caydoc

Caydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2011 and 2012 kits are similar except for the center console

7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm curious of this upgrade -- can you tell me why you did this vs getting the vehicle with the leather. Do you find the quality to be higher -- and what about resale value.

I have never sat down and crunched the numbers. Our fleet sales guy said you don't get the money back on the resale at the same rate as the upgraded model.

I have always found it strange that the Japanese manufacturers have always made you purchase a very highly equipped vehicle to get the leather - I guess that is why these companies exist.

This was always a problem with Honda vehicles and leather interiors.

8. Slickrick1969

Slickrick1969 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was wanting to do the same

9. Caydoc

Caydoc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why get the after-sale Katzkin? On my 2011 and 2012 Prii, dealer and I negotiated price, which I accepted if they would agree to add the leather seats for an additional $700. Worked out ok both times...

10. bnaccs

bnaccs bnaccs

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I looked on the Katskin website. Is it true that they only work through dealerships? I purchased my Prius over a year ago. I thought they may have their own shops outside dealers.

11. BSWEET

BSWEET New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just FYI, all of the 2012 Priuses come with "Pleather", Toyota calls it Softex and it is NOT real leather. When I was looking for my Prius, all of the salesman that I talked to called the interior of the package IV called it leather, but after reading the brochure, I found out the truth. That made up my mind to go with the III package and I went with the Clazzio covers for $449.00. The Katzkin covers DO look beter than the Clazzio covers, and the Clazzio's do not come with the covers for the doors. Also, the front center armrest looks just like what it is, a slip on cover. I bought some extra material and I am going to cover the door panals and redo the center armrest.

12. clayfree

clayfree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in the middle of a bad experience with Clazzio. I ordered seats from them and when they had not shipped days later I called to find they were not in stock even thought their website said instock. I cancelled the order and they were very nice about it. However the problem is that they charged me and will not refund my money. After numerous call and assurances from them I finally have gone to my credit card company and opened a chargeback case.

I love the look of their seats and they seem like a great deal but this experience would really make me think twice about doing business with them.

13. BSWEET

BSWEET New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2012 Prius's do not come with leather, they come with soft tex, which is a fake leather. The Katzkin is real leather (or at least the parts that you sit on), so what you are paying so much extra for with the pkg IV and V is mostly the power seat and upgraded radio.

14. UTBuckeye

UTBuckeye Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    $700 was that just for installation? Or did that include the leather kit and installation?