1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

KENWOOD KSC-SW1 POWERED SUBWOOFER - Phase switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pre-cbs, Jun 23, 2006.

1. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

I just installed the KSC-SW1 in my underhatch area and so far so good. For other KSC-SW1 users - What do you have your "Phase switch" set to? Can you tell a difference?

thanks,

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Jun 23 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]276025[/snapback]</div>
    The idea is to get all the cones moving in the same direction at once so they reinforce each other, rather than cancel each other out. This should occur when all the speakers have the same phase, since the dimensions of a car interior are small relative to the wavelength of the low frequency audio signals (if I did my arithmetic correctly) you're trying to reproduce. Put the switch in the position that gives the most bass response.

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I push the switch in because with my stock speakers and my head in the front seat, I can hear (and the RTA measures) a lower Hz bass response.

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Actually a phase switch would be used when you have two speakers facing each other at close range. In that case the air pressure from each would "cancel" each other out resulting in distortion or a lower response.

When running only one unit the phase should be set to normal...as long as you have wired it correctly. This means that the speaker would push outwards. Since I do not have one yet, I do not know what the switch says exactly, but you get the drift.

Hope that helps.

5. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

6. pre-cbs

pre-cbs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Jun 24 2006, 09:11 AM) [snapback]276332[/snapback]</div>

7. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pre-cbs @ Jun 24 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]276332[/snapback]</div>

Some argue that if the subwoofer is out of phase with the other bass speakers, like the door speakers, they might have some cancelling effect. Frpm my limited research, it seems many people find certian kinds of music or music from diffent media (radio, cd, satellite) will sound better on one setting or the other, though no one really knows why. I think that is why Kenwood has the nice switch instead of having to reverse the wires all the time. YMMV