1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key FOB lost (inside car)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hrat, Jan 25, 2015.

1. hrat

hrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After you finish a good laugh, I really could use some help. About 2 weeks ag0, I was in a hurry and from the drivers door, just tossed the key fob onto the dash. Must have tossed it a little harder than I intended, because it scooted across the dash and disappeared, I know not where. Sounded like it hit the glass, bounced around and went down a vent or something. When I had more time, I tried searching for the key, but could not locate it anywhere. The are no openings on the dash that the key could have slipped down. Three of us have searched the entire interior of the car to no avail (yes, even had my 10 year old grand daughter search with her superior eyesight). This included the glove boxes, cubbies in the doors, between the seats, and the nooks and crannies below the seats.

I know the key fob is in the car, since we can drive with no other key fob present. Before I start dismantling the interior of this car, does anyone have a thought where I might find this wayward fob? I have tried tossing the spare fob in the same manner to discover the hideout, but without success as that one does not seem to enjoy the same adventuresome spirit as the previous one. Other search techniques included counting to 10 out loud and yelling ali ali oxen free.

As you can see, we are getting fairly desperate in our search methods and any help you may offer for our poor lost fob return would be appreciated.

Aft

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    this happened to someone else. there's a thread here somewhere. i think it was between the seat and center console, really difficult to see. but i'm not positive. all the best.(y)

hrat likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the key fob attached to anything? Key ring? Keys??

hrat likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on rechecking the areas under the passenger seat. Use a mirror or something to see under the seat, making sure to check carefully the tight spaces next to the seat rails and between the seat and center console.

hrat likes this.
  5. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have never looked at my car, but is there room in front of the steering wheel up on the dash next to the windshield where the mirror for the speedometer read out is located? Could just a fob slide in that slot. Just a guess!

6. hrat

hrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Eureka I have found it. On visual inspection, it looks like a tight filled gap between the dash and the steering wheel cover assembly. In reality, it can be very easily pushed back to open the gap to the top of the steering column. I was able to search there with no result, but on checking the top of the lower plastic (I think covering the airbag) there it was directly below the steering column. Just enough room to squeeze my pudgy fingers in and retrieve it. More than likely, what happened is I completely missed the dash on my toss and it slid along the top of the steering column cover, entered the slot and fell down to the lower plastic shelf.

Thanks. I was beginning to think about developing a device to detect Toyota Key Fob RF devices. Thanks to everyone else for their help too. All were good advice and I was going to follow them all again, but this one was the one I hadn't tried yet.

RMB, xliderider and ftl like this.
  7. hrat

hrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, was able to find it with the help of this forum!

8. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Glad you found it!!!!(y)

9. Cookie#1

Cookie#1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ive some how managed to lose my key fob but my 2012 Prius V will still start. That means the key fob must be inside the car some where right?

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Right. It can fall between the seat and console. You can search that area from below, from the back seat area.

11. Cookie#1

Cookie#1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the reply! Both my husband an i have torn it apart looking for it. we cant find it anywhere. i can use the 2nd fob to lock it but it will still start with out the other one.

12. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    You need to find it. The only security you have now is the locked doors. They or the glass are easy to overcome, and once anyone enters the car they can drive it away.

I have "lost" tools while working on the car under the seat. They often end up against the inside seat rail, between the console and the seat rail. Use a bright flashlight to search under the seat. There are also flaps of carpet under there things can slip under. One day, while transporting groceries home, a bag fell over (I carry them on the floor of the back seat area). A can of soup rolled under the seat. I found it next spring during spring cleanup.

13. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A potential nightmare.

14. joetho

joetho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Borrow a seven year old and tell them five bucks if they find it.

And of course give them five bucks even if they don't ; )

15. Mike O’Brien

Mike O’Brien New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ...another distressed soul.

It’s my wife’s Prius: she looked top to bottom (and she’s really good finding things).
    I searched front to back.
    Our son checked his own random way.
    All no luck.

My gut finds it hard to believe it’s in there but I drove it 1/4 mile away, shut it off, and it started back up.
    1) Is it DEFINITELY in there if it starts 1/4 away? Wife actually started it 5 miles away.
    2) any new ideas for hiding spots?
    3) Any way to make the red light flash ? Or make it beep?

Thanks.

#15 Mike O’Brien, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  16. Kekoa

Kekoa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm having the same issue with a lost key fob in my 2016 Prius. It starts without the other FOB as well so I know its in there. I've checked everywhere. I'm considering taking the driver's side seat out, but not sure I have the correct tool to do this. Seems like the seats are held in by a nut/bolt that requires a very large screw driver?

thanks for your help guys. its literally driving me nuts.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's always in between the driver's seat and the center console

18. Joy17

Joy17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This happened to me. I know this is an older thread, but I’m case it someone else is searching for help…Try tapping the panel below the stirring wheel (between the steering wheel and floor ) Mine fell in here behind the steering wheel, and down. I was able to get them out by taking panel off. This panel pops off pretty easy, and I was able to put it back on again.

bisco likes this.