1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob starts car, but won't open door... already tried new battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ElLCoolJ, May 29, 2014.

1. ElLCoolJ

ElLCoolJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius. The other day one of the key fobs stopped opening the doors. It still works to run the car, just not the door opening function. I changed the battery and still no go on the doors. I tried another battery and same thing. The car runs, but the auto door locks don't. My other fob works just fine.
    The dealership said they will need to reprogram the fob for $65. I see some notes about the "chicken dance" programming at home, but it seems that is just for new keys.
    Is there a way for me to reprogram just the first key and not erase the second?
    Thanks

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will probably need to replace that fob. Since the car recognizes the fob and allows the car to run, I doubt that reprogramming the car will help. (The ECUs are programmed, not the fob itself.)

#2 Patrick Wong, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    check and see if there are any stuck buttons on the fob. If the buttons are stuck, it may be your issue. You can also try switching the batteries on your 2 fobs. That way you know the battery is good (from the working fob)

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is most likely a bad battery connection on the fob itself. Look at the battery slot on the fob and make sure that both the top and the bottom of the battery have good connections with their respective connector. It sounds to me that this fob has no power which likely means a bad battery connection. You may have to bend the connection to make it make contact with the battery.

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On my gen2 there's a button under the dash that turns on and off the keys ability to unlock the doors via bluetooth(or whatever).

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you look at the OP's description, one of their fobs work so, that means the switch is in the proper position.

7. ElLCoolJ

ElLCoolJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And we have a winner folks>>> The alarm button was stuck down!!! I unstuck it and the alarm went off and I couldn't get it to stop (much to the chagrin of my neighbors) but now I'm all good!!! Thanks!!!

usnavystgc likes this.
  8. dan nemuel

dan nemuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Key fob opens doors but wont start the cat Toyota prius 2004 model please help

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    how do you start your car?

10. dan nemuel

dan nemuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I seat on the drivers seat match the break pedal while the car is at park before ponching the start button but i discover that there is no light on the start button either red or green thank you.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Time for you to have the car towed to your local Toyota dealer for help.

12. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dan Neumal, Does car start if you put FOB in dash slot? Is 12V battery healthy?

13. dan nemuel

dan nemuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No the car dont start.the 12v batery is very healthy (new) the anty theft is steadily on but starts blinking when i put the fob in the slot it never goes off

14. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When did the fob last work? Did it get dropped damaged? Are you sure it is for that car?
    Check brake lights. Do they work? If brake light fuse is blown car will not start (since you have to press brake pedal to start car). Check all fuses under dash and in engine bay compartment.

If you are near Boulder/Denver Colorado we can come to the car and reset i.e. "reseed" smart key system, otherwise you'll have to tow to dealer or shop with appropriate equipment.

15. dan nemuel

dan nemuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The fob belongs to the car and the break lights are working i drove the car to a friends place and there it refused to start so i changed the fob bateries but no improvement till this day but the fob can open the doors no fuse under the dash board is bad.worst of all is that am from africa Nigeria i dont know if we have any toyota office in the country i can only do with your help for now thank you

16. 3prongpaul

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't have any dealers or hybrid shops around you are in a bad position. Suggest you purchase "Mini-VCI" cable and software. This is a Chinese clone of Toyota Techstream software which will allow you to see what is wrong with the car. Check Ebay or Alibaba for sellers.

You could also ask around local mechanic shops that work on late model Toyota/Lexus if anyone has Techstream you can borrow. Is your Prius a USA, European, or Japanese market model? (they are slightly different).

17. dan nemuel

dan nemuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine is U S A thanks for the help i will get back to you soon thanks alot