1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Keyfob doesn't unlock/lock doors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Baconmon, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Baconmon

Baconmon New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a used 2005 from a small dealership just today.. It does not have SKS (no black buttons on the door handles)..
    But, the dealer said it had a key problem, so he discounted the price.. He said that the keyfobs can start the car, but can't lock/unlock the doors..
    He gave me 2 keyfobs, but I'm not even sure if either of them are the original ones that came with the car.. I think they might both be used keyfobs from other cars..

In other words, I don't have a master keyfob that can unlock the doors yet.. I always have to take out that darn physical key to unlock it every time..
    I've looked around lots of threads already, and all it does is confuse me..
    I know you can do some weird "chicken dance", but it seems like you already have to have a master keyfob that can unlock the doors, right?..
    And I know there are "2 sides" to the keyfob: a "prox" one, and some thing else (I forget)

I am planning on getting the mangoose PRO thing (Yes the official expensive one) because I want to "hack" the car and change settings and all sorts of fun stuff.. I think it can do some more reprograming functions that the miniVCI thing can't do..

So my question is: Is there *any* way I can use the mangoose PRO thing to fix/change/reprogram my keyfobs to work with the car doors?.. And, do you need to do any thing with the seed-code and pass-code to do it?.. (I know there used to be a site where you could get cheap pass-codes (sigmabit.eu) but the link to the pass-code page is "404 not found" now, is there any other place now?)
    I really want to avoid crawling to an official dealership and begging them to please help me with some thing that I can't do my self.. I hate that sense of "Yes.....Only WE can fix your car....you are just so helpless with out US!"......then I will also have to pay them money of course to have it done..

I know going to a dealership would probably be cheaper than buying mangoose PRO thing, but I am going to buy mangoose thing any way, so why waste money at a dealership if it is possible to do it with mangoose thing some how?..

All of the threads I have read seem to be full of conflicting information, or full of people that aren't really sure how every thing works but try to speculate any way..
    Is there some one that knows a lot about this stuff that could provide an explanation on how to do it?.. Or will I need to go to a dealership after all?..

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you obtain repair manual info by subscribing to techinfo.toyota.com because you may find it is possible to program the car to accept your existing fobs without using Techstream or the equivalent. "Register Recognition Code" is the section that provides one flowchart showing how to use Techstream, and another flowchart that does not use Techstream to achieve similar results. I don't think that a seed code is required in either case.