1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Kill-A-Watt Rocks

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by priusblue, Apr 10, 2006.

1. priusblue

priusblue New Member

So, I bought a Kill-A-Watt meter:

link

as mentioned on this post a while back

a few weeks ago, and I've tested basically everything in the house at this point. I found out lots of stuff to help my energy leaks and also figured out what doesn't make a difference.

Things that really don't matter (don't draw when they're off) include:
    1) electric toothbrush charger
    2) hair dryer
    3) cell phone charger (this was good news)
    4) clocks
    5) TV - it's an energy star and draws only 2 watts when off - but I still plugged it in to a Smart Strip
    6) Fridge - it's 6 years old, but still about as good as the newest energy star models

But there were a few surprises
    1) Our relatively small freezer - pulls 380 kWH per year - ouch! Almost as much as our fridge - I'm going to try to move most of our stuff to the regular freezer and only use the outside freezer when needed. I may switch to a smaller chest style freezer in a few years.
    2) The computer "standby" mode doesn't help much at all. The computer pulls about 80 watts regular, but still 60 when on standby. We've switched to hibernate mode, which still starts up quick, but only draws 4 watts
    3) Our dish network box. This sucker draws 30 watts all the time! Even when the TV is off. The problem is that it takes 5 mins + to reinitialize with the sattelite, etc. So, I'm thinking about a timer for it to only be on in the evenings when we actually use the TV. I actually wrote a letter to Dish Network on this one.

I also found out that we have pretty high voltage, which makes our CFL bulbs draw a little (1 W) more than specified (and everything else, I suppose). All in all, I think the above changes in addition to using smart strips on our TV/AV equipment and computer accessories (hooked up to the monitor which turns off when the CPU goes to hibernate) will cut about 700 kWH/ year, even without taking any action on the freezer. That means this device will pay for itself in about 6 months. Sweet! :D

Anybody use timers on their hot water heaters? Does that work well?

2. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I also bought a Kill A Watt and was surprised at what I found. Our old TV doesn't draw much but our Comcast/Motorola DVR HD cable box does even when off. It should have been obvious how much the cable box drew because of the amount of heat it generate.

We're starting a new home soon and based on my energy research going with all energy star appliances and solar domestic water heat. The cost for the solar should pay back in just under 2 years. The solar will also help power a small recirculation pump that will cut down on water useage because we don't have to wait for hot water to come out.

A little bit of mindfulness and research can go a long way in saving $ and resources.

3. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you really want to get into measuring get a WattsUp Pro.

It logs the use over time and you can download the graph to your PC. You can watch your compressor kick on and off on the fridge. You see how much power is used in run, sleep, and off. It's a great device.

For energy saving tips see my house web site - The Westbrook House

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got one a while back, since it fit my gadget budget. I was tired of power glitches requiring me to reset the clock on my otherwise-acceptably-designed HDTV, and wanted to buy an APC UPS to keep it running 24/7. It turned out to draw around 240W max, and 35W when off due to a 24/7 fan it requires. The ~300W UPS has kept it going uninterrupted for many months now.

I checked a few appliances but wasn't in the mood to change anything just to save a few pennies here and there. Maybe later...

5. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

How can you say a hair dryer does not use much power. A typical hair dryer consumes 1500-1800 watts! True it may not be used for long periods of time (unless you have a teenage daughter with long hair), and you generally don't leave it on when it is not being used. But, it probably has the highest draw rate of anything in your house -- more than your fridge, computer, tv or anything else.

6. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ Apr 10 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]237596[/snapback]</div>
    when it's just plugged in and not running, is what I mean. :rolleyes: I only use it once or twice a week, but left it plugged in all the time. Some of the blocky power verters draw power all the time, so I was wondering if I should unplug it. Obviously, when it's running it uses alot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Apr 10 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]237574[/snapback]</div>

I think this will save me more than a few pennies. Just what I've done so far will save $56/year, but more importantly, 945 lb CO2. If I trade out or unplug my freezer, that would be another $32 and 540 lb CO2.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I recently bought one too. So far, has resulted in me taking two rarely used computers off line unless needed, turning off computer monitors when not in use, lecturing the kids on light bulbs, spending about $200 on compact flourescent bulbs, setting the wine cellar to 57 instead of 55, discovering and disconnecting a satellite player that was plugged in but not being used, putting the basement and bedroom entertainment centers on power strips, and taking the suggestions here for getting a couple of small solar panels (20watt ones) and feeding a battery off of those (I use it to run all battery chargers, like cell phone and roomba).

8. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Apr 10 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]237689[/snapback]</div>

Sweet! Was the solar charger hard to set up? Do you run it to your roof and have a charging station somewhere?

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David @ Apr 10 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]237505[/snapback]</div>
    we have the recirc pump at work but unless you insulate the pipes it's a waste. As all your doing is turning them into inefficient radiators, inside walls and basements etc. Pipe wrap on all hot pipes everywhere in the house from the water heater on out/up.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusblue @ Apr 10 2006, 07:01 PM) [snapback]237771[/snapback]</div>
    I bought a small kit, see page 2 of this thread where daryllDD were talking about this type of setup...

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=17088&st=20

Not hard to do, I have mine propped up outside my office window facing SSW, put the battery in a waterproof box outside the window...

I use an inverter for most things, but is inefficient, though not sure how much power I am using going through the inverter.

11. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Apr 26 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]245813[/snapback]</div>

Thanks! I'll look into it - maybe for my next birthday present (I don't think my husband will think this is any weirder than when I asked for the electric edger?) Hmmmm....

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Apr 26 2006, 05:14 PM) [snapback]245813[/snapback]</div>
    Hey great. I'm glad you got that going.

As far as I'm concerned every house should have 12V DC outlets all over the place - or at a minimum in the "office." room. All battery chargers would then be nominal 12V, and would not need to converte DC to AC, and remain "on" all the time. The 12V outlets could be easily fed by a small PV panel and/or a battery... OR it could very simply be fed by a single converter from the AC mains. It is amazingly stupid that in today's modern office there are countless individual converters for every peripheral and battery charger. I don't think I could count all mine if I tried.

Color printer
    Laser printer
    desk phone
    cell phone
    flashlight
    DSL modem
    router
    scanner
    laptop external hard drive

That's just in two seconds off the top of my head. Each one of these things has its own wasteful converter! Ug.

13. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusblue @ Apr 10 2006, 10:56 PM) [snapback]237488[/snapback]</div>

You mentioned that your TV only draws 2 watts when off. Sounds like a really small amount of energy until you think about it running 24/7. That's 48 watts a day, and about 1440 watts monthly. 1.4 kw/hr a month is something to think about. My point is that if you look at these mini consumers in isolation from one another, you miss the cumulative effect. When we did a power survey in our house, using a kilowatt meter, we found 200 watts of "hidden" power consumption, mostly in remotes, unneeded clocks, computers on standby, etc. How many clocks does a house need? Our microwave has one, the stove has one and there is (was) a clock on the wall. We put the microwave on a power strip and turned off the clock........

Check out this statistic:
    1. We found 200 watts/hr of hidden energy consumption. Probably typical; let's assume it is.
    2. That comes to 4800 watts a day, wasted energy.
    3. There are 12 houses on our block. Multiply our house by 12 and you get 57,600 watts a day, wasted.
    4. Now, there are about 70 million households in the US. Multiply our daily wastage of 4800 watts by 70 million households and you get a staggeringly large number, something like 3360 x 10 8th hours of totally wasted energy.
    5. If we actually saved that energy, we could eliminate 30 full scale power plants with NO reduction in our lifestyles....

Dick Cheney thinks this is a fine "personal virtue", but not part of what he calls a sound energy policy. I think he's full of s***.

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I just replaced twenty-four 65 watt bulbs, two 60 watt bulbs, and two 45 watt bulbs with fluorescent bulbs. Doing some quick math, and assuming on average 5 hours of use each day, I've gone from 8.65 kwh to 3.04 kwh just for lights per day. Not bad. Over a year that's over 2000 kwh saved!

Combine that with my new washer and dryer, which are advertised as the most energy efficient full size machines, and my bills should be getting much lower.

All other appliances are already Energy Star, so not much more to change for the big users.

I've thought about shutting off all the little things (PC's, AV gear) but it's too much of a hassle. Those will have to keep drawing their power.

Our roof already has a radiant barrier, too.

15. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ May 4 2006, 04:13 PM) [snapback]249873[/snapback]</div>
    I see you live in Tampa (I'm in Bradenton) and you will be saving even more because of the reduced load you A/C will have to deal with from the relatively large amounts of heat radiated from the incandescent bulbs. That's one of the reasons I have them throughout my house.

FYI here in West Central Florida we pay about 10.5 cents/kwh. Not too long ago it was usually 8 cents but fuel surcharges have come into play.

Rick
    2006 #4

16. priusblue

priusblue New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob Allen @ May 4 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]249845[/snapback]</div>

Yeah - that's why I plugged it, and all of the other stuff into one of those smart strips that stops the electricity from flowing when the TV and or receiver are off. I've noticed a pretty big difference already. This past month was very temperate in NC, and we didn't run or heat our a/c much at all (we're all electric), but our bill was over 100 kWh lower than ever before :blink: Pretty awesome! I've leant out the kill-a-watt to a friend and have 3 others that are waiting to borrow it - so it's a start!

It would be great if they made some sort of small switch to put in the outlet when you plug something in so that you don't have to use big power strips or timers for everything.... Any body seen anything like that?

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup! It is a cool device. I just got one recently from http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=...74&loc=111&sp=1 ($18.99, much cheaper than most places but they're out of stock again)

Here are some of my findings:
    Dell 2001FP: 37 W
    Dell 2005FPW: 39-40 W
    Sony GDM-500PS 21" CRT monitor:
    - 2 W in standby
    - 93 W when in WinXP at desktop w/default background
    - ~115 W when displaying an all white screen
    Athlon 64 3200+ machine w/Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo and Antec 450W Smartpower PSU, Cool n Quiet enabled, 2 hard drives and 2 video cards:
    - 8 W w/power "off"
    - 101 W at idle
    - 130 W when running distributed.net client & World Community Grid Agent; still need to run a graphics benchmark;
    1.25 ghz Mac Mini:
    - 1 W w/power "off",
    - ~14 W at idle
    - ~31 W when running distributed.net client
    Infocus X1 projector:
    - ~200 W on
    - ~20 W when "off' and fan is at high speed for 1 minute after shutdown
    - ~18 W (!) when "off" [fan running at low speed]
    Power Mac G5 2 ghz dual proc at work w/a 17" ADC display attached and both CPUs maxed w/distributed.net client: ~390 W! [unhooking the ADC powered display makes the usage go down ~40 W]
    RCA DVR80 DirecTivo w/2nd hard drive and extra fan: 45-47 W
    cheapy Memorex 13" CRT TV bought in end of 2004:
    - 3 W "off"
    - 29-33 W typical usage
    - 44 W w/an all white screen