1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lagging 2001 Prius (brakes?)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Tantousha, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Tantousha

Tantousha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello fellow Prius owners, lovers and fixers.

I have a 2001 Prius that has been in my family since it was bought new. It has been lovingly cared for and just soared past 330,000 KM.

That said, it recently went if for a service check-up at the dealer a couple weeks ago and since then it hasn't been itself. It seems to be lagging lately and I've noticed it through 3 specific metrics.

Firstly, the gas mileage has jumped from 5.8L/100KM to 6.7L/100KM (and this has been in only 2 weeks). Secondly, it doesn't coast as well as it used to and SEEMS to require more engine revving to get it to operate. Lastly, an audible hum can be heard coming from the back of the car whenever it coasts above 30KPH.

That said, it hasn't thrown any error codes and using my scanner I can't see anything out of the norm.

So, it's currently sitting in the Toyota dealership but they just called my Fiancee to inform that they were unable to find anything and they state it was probably 'bad gas' (haha).

I'm going to go visit with them after work and I was wondering if any of you had any ideas or similar experiences that I can take to them to see if we can fix this issue, or if it will just work itself out.

Thanks for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

Alex.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is it a Prius-aware scanner that can read traction battery and transaxle temperatures?

Do you have a list of what they touched in the last service call?

Right off the top, I would:
    • check oil level - did they over-fill or use the wrong grade?
    • check tires - did they lower the tire pressure from what you normally run?

Bob Wilson

3. Tantousha

Tantousha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sadly, no. It's a cheap connector to my laptop with the software. I am but a starving student haha.

I do have the service check list but it is at home.

They did change the oil, will check that tonight and I know they didn't change the tire pressure.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

4. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm suspicious they've done something with the brakes. Could be dragging.

LG-AS695 ? 2

5. Tantousha

Tantousha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I

That's what I feared, but if you'd think that's what they would've checked today after I described the symptoms...

6. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd hope they did, but ask and see.

LG-AS695 ? 2

7. Tantousha

Tantousha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So my fiancée had to pick up the car because I'm stuck in the office and they basically tried to say she had it accidentally in B mode.

Which has made me realize that the issue it's having is like a subtle version of b mode but while it's in normal D.

Intriguing.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If the brakes are dragging, I would expect to find the hubs hot even after a short drive.

Bob Wilson

9. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hmm a humming noise from the back. could be a wheel bearing starting to go on you. if you lower tire pressure enough, a tire could hum on you but you can visually see if a tire is that low. Jack the car up back end first and see how the wheels spin by hand they should if any have very little resistance. jack up the front tires. spin them, should be if any very little resistance. I had a caliper on my front brakes decide to not release properly and I had symptoms like you are having, minus the hum and I found it by jacking up the car and hand spinning each wheel. a humm could also be caused if they rotated the tires and the tread pattern/ direction is different. but that seems unlikely. does this hum change pitch with vehicle speed, or is it a type of grinding/ whirring hum?

10. Jeff F

Jeff F Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just a thought - the dealer may have done nothing more than applying the parking brake. I've had experiences in the past where the parking brake was applied after months/years of not being used, and the rear brakes drag afterwards. Sometimes any friction in the brake cable can be reduced by applying and releasing the parking brake a few times.

11. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    good thinking jeff, thats true. i know on my truck the parking brake can be applied for 2 clicks before the light comes on

12. Tantousha

Tantousha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Update time:

So the lovely fiancée took it for a drive with the hybrid tech and pointed out the sound. Turns out in the last service they rotated the tires and one of them is feathered now. He said its nothing to worry about and will disappear as well.

It also appears that the bad gas theory holds as well because half way into a fresh tank of gas and the gas mileage has lowered back to its normal levels and its running a lot more smoothly and less laggy.

Thanks for all the troubleshooting tips and help guys, I really appreciate it!

Alex.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The feathering disappears by 'wearing down' the tread. You might want to investigate 4-wheel alignment.

I've associated feathering with too much camber. The front camber requires special bolts which Toyota carries. The rear is handled by a shim system.

Bob Wilson