1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lane Keep Assist override with cruise on

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by SPlautz, Aug 31, 2011.

1. SPlautz

SPlautz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are there any hacks to the "safety" feature which disables Lane Keep Assist in cruise control mode when you don't touch (i.e. turn) the steering wheel for 5-15 sec? Now that is a mod I'd really like more than a NAV override. That thing disabling on me on long stretches of straight highway after 15 sec is absolutely annoying, especially since it does this EVEN WITH my hands on the wheel. To be honest, many times it suddenly disabling on me ended up being more of an overall safety risk than its purpose intended. lol Also, the thing disables enough on its own due to not being able to sense the lanes where any additional safety almost makes the LKA option useless. The Infinity I owned had a much better LKA lane sensing camera than this Prius. But it can at least be improved a little if we could disable that annoying safety. Can anyone find out how it senses that the wheel has turned and try to trick it with a pulse every few secs? Only Prius 5's are installed with LKA.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Of course it's designed that way so people like you don't fall asleep while driving. It's doing a good job of getting you to pay attention to the road.

No known hacks so far.

3. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    it must sense driver input so just holding it will not be enough. you gotta put force to it.when it cancels out, turn the steering wheel slightly will reactivate the lka. it works long enough for you to take off your shirt. that's it.

4. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've never had a problem with LKA disabling due to a lack of steering input (at least, that I know of). I do have it turn off all the time because it can't see the lane markers, though.

I'd suggest you get it checked out by the dealer - hopefully you're still under warranty. Looking at the repair manual, it looks like they should be able to access data saying how much steering torque is being measured, though it doesn't say what the threshold is, just "a specified amount".

Of course, this assumes the problem mainly happens when you're actually still steering, which is what I think you're saying. If you're taking your hands off the wheel for 15 seconds, well *duh*.

5. SPlautz

SPlautz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It disables still when I barely turn the wheel. I have to turn it a certain amount to get it to sense it, although I have no idea whether that is within spec or not. Knowing Toyota, it probably is. The thing is, on long stretches of straight highway, these barely taps on the wheel is all I need to steer it, especially with the LKA on too. So it's annoying to have it beep/blink at me all the time and go off. As for as the comment about preventing me from falling sleep, that is not true. LKA does not turn the wheel enough to steer the vehicle for you on turns, awake or asleep. It is sometimes inaccurate even on straight stretches and looses the lanes often. So no one could use it steer the car for you entirely even if it wasn't for the safety.

6. cupidchild

cupidchild Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have LKA on my 2012 Prius V and I didn't even realize it turns off if you don't touch the steering wheel for 5-15 seconds. I don't think mine does that. I have seen mine stay on for a while.
    But it keeps beeping alert saying I'm going off the Lane!! very annoy. The camera sucks.
    So in my case, the LKA does not stay put long enough for me even to test this.
    I will test it more and let you know but overall I'm very disappointed with LKA option.

Does anyone know if I can ask the dealer to turn off the LKA alert off, b/c the beeping is very annoying.