1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Large pickup threw Wet Rag at my prius

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Troy Heagy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    He was angry because I merged from a ramp, onto an interstate, directly in front of him. (Yes there was ample space for me to merge.) So he followed me (and the long string of cars) for a little while, and then he passed me. Suddenly I heard a loud "thump" in my window. He threw a wet rag directly at me.

I guess he doesn't like Priuses.

Perhaps I should trade it for a Leaf to really ____ guys like him off. ;) BTW the Prius is ranked in the top 10 of cleanest cars. His giant pickup truck is ranked in the bottom 10 dirtiest cars. Complete opposites: greenercars.org | the meanest vehicles for the environment in 2013

2. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just what do you think he made that rag "wet" with????:eek: :sleep:

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    With all the bad luck you seem to have on the roads, between this and cops pulling you over for going slow, you should just stay home. :D

4. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Rolling coal has also become a fad now among the hybrid haters. What morons!

I missed seeing this story...what happened?

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, a DIRT BAG threw a wet rag!:(

That's why I have both front and rear dash cams.

Was it a bully rag?:mad:

6. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's his problem. You should always get license plate no.
    sounds like someone needs anger management classes..lol
    did you get on the freeway in Eco mode or power mode to enter a freeway on-ramp you should always be in power mode and then once you're up to speed then you go to Eco mode.
    don't stress it most of them are just jealous and also they believe they own the road and if you're not exactly at the speed they want you to be at they want to tailgate when that happens call 911 but never play into their frustration get away from themThen after you've gotten the license plate and call CHP.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You seem to attract people that "don't like Priuses."
    You should definitely get the Leaf, or maybe a nice Chevy Volt.

Me?
    I'd be glad it was a wet rag.

The OP has already had run-ins with the Chippies.

8. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    About a month ago I was 5 mph below the minimum speed. Ooops.
    There's no difference in power between these two modes. All they do is adjust the sensitivity of the accelerator pedal, but both give the same horsepower when you put your foot to the floor.

When I was living in Maryland I called the cops on a sedan that forced my Dodge off the road (and almost into the center wall). The cops said, "We cannot do anything unless we see the guy with our own eyes." About half a year ago a semi truck passed me while still "hanging over" in my lane, and then almost hit my Civic Hybrid's front bumper (with the rear of his trailer), in an obvious attempt to scare me. So I called his boss who informed me he operates out of Mexico and doesn't care (then hung up).

I decided it just isn't worth the effort to bother if neither cops nor bosses will do anything. It's just a fact of life that there are a lot of [rude & mean people] in the world (mostly concentrated near LA in Southern California), so I ignore them as much as possible.

#8 Troy Heagy, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  9. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Chances are, we've all experienced the same thing. I mostly drive in EV mode, can't exceed 62 mph. I'm not making apologies, nor change my driving style.

10. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Wow, well, you started a thread and treated all of the chat like ? children, your story is ending, we missed the beginning, and then you back up and explain why.
    You're going 5mph below the speed limit on an on ramp, and someone threw something toward you. Said the boy that cried FIRE

So possibly you're an "author" mining the chat with nuggets of gold to like minded "authors", btw, it's prii.

11. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2000 Insight is treated like a Prius by many drivers. When in the early days I sped a bit. When I'm going the speed limit. And when I go significantly under the speed limit. With all the hypermiling I've done, Troy Heagy talks as if he gets more harassment than myself, Wayne Gerdes, and maybe a few more hypermilers combined. Why is that? I don't have to say anymore on this thread.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have this problem here too.

One motorway in particular, the M4, is replete with morons - usually in utes or V8 sedans, or sometimes badly-riced not-Evos or not-STIs. They'll tailgate you, cut dangerously from lane to lane, throw things at you, and engage in other ridiculous, bullying, dangerous behaviour.

And that motorway is full of speed cameras and speed traps. So most of them do all of this within 10% of the speed limit. Many of them, I notice, drive aggressively and stupidly, but get to their destination at the same time that I do.

So they don't get in trouble. A speed trap doesn't see aggressive driving, or tailgating, or things getting thrown, or brake-checking, or whatever: it just sees whether you're doing the 110km/h limit or 130km/h. And driving at 110km/h, five feet behind the car in front is way more dangerous than driving at 130km/h on an empty road. But it's the latter that the cops will get you for.

The problem here - and I'm willing to bet that it's the same in America - is that a speed trap is easy. You stick a camera or a radar gun there, and let it do the thinking. A computer shows the numbers, and the evidence is incontrovertible. And they get a nice fine payment out of it.

What's needed is unmarked police cars looking out for dangerous drivers. But that would involve the use of some resources (two cops and a car and some petrol). It would involve the cop having to use his or her judgement to decide what is and what isn't dangerous. It would involve arguments in court. So, much as this sort of driving kills people, the police really can't be bothered to do anything about it.

hybridbear and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It takes two to tango. :whistle:

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think Troy is full of him/herself and just talking sh...I mean trolling...as some of you like to call it. Knows how to get a bite though. :LOL:

15. silverone

silverone Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, you can keep TH in your world and away from the Volt :p

Chuck. and Tony D like this.
  16. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you need one of these

1956 Volkswagen Micro Bus 0-60 mph: 75.0 seconds

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  17. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You must be amazingly irritating to be on the road with, given your stories.

Chuck. likes this.
  18. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes clearly I was Not allowed to merge from the onramp to the interstate. That's not what ramps are for. /end sarcasm

(1) I'm not intelligent enough to invent a story like "guy threw wet rag at my prius". Something like that would never occur to me. (2) You drive on Southern California interstates, and you too will have stories. (3) One morning I had an Indian woman give me the two-finger salute, because I slowed down to make a right turn on a ramp. Another time a guy ran me off I5 and I nearly hit the middle wall. (I beeped my horn but he never reacted or acknowledged my presence.) Last year a guy in a Van rearended a prius & pushed the prius into my insight.

I asked why he hit us and he said, "I don't know" and then suddenly he started yelling at me as if it was my fault! I also see women putting on makeup & guys shaving. People driving around without license plates. People giving me the finger because I slow my car to exit the interstate (apparently I'm not allowed to do that either).

#18 Troy Heagy, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  19. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see you approaching the ramp as though an egg filled with explosives would break if you used some gas. I see you merging in front of freeway traffic at maybe 39 miles per hour. People probably give you the finger when you leave the interstate, because you've been gliding for three miles and you're down to 39 mph while still on the interstate.

My rough estimate is people do these things to you because your an ahole.

RAL, edthefox5 and lar.smith42 like this.
  20. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Well in this particular case (post 1), traffic was only moving 30. I would have been happy to go the posted speed limit (55) but could not. (Also there's no excuse to throw objects at other drivers.) In the other case (exiting interstate), traffic was only moving 20 on the highway and 5 on the ramp. So once again there was no reason to give me the finger.

Bad behavior towards your neighbors is not acceptable, especially if they have not done anything illegal. BTW how many of ye go over the speed limit?