1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaf and EV1 Comparison

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hill, Apr 4, 2010.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    john dingdong again?!?!?!:mad:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he's as bad as bob klutz!

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe darell hasn't updated recently. Besides the oporational one that the smithsonian has, there is another EV1 that was resurected about 28 months ago:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewg8yawjn-M]YouTube - Resurrected EV1 comes to SEVA Meeting[/ame]

The irony is that since this EV1 was re-animated, GM went bankrupt. Since the deal was between universities and the OLD GM (that university EV1's would never be repaired) ... I say, what the heck!

4. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, and there was a tremendous amount of work done to resurect that beast.... It still doesn't have the orignal brakes, and they promised GM that it would be converted to a "hyrid" (yeah, right). I guess it was an excerise, but since there are only 40 or so left, I'm not sure what the point is/was.

This just shows GM's folly, and will just further embarass them, and it shows all of us what could have been....

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is also a working EV1 at Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison - they replaced the drivetrain with their own design:

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If they've replaced the drive train, what makes it different from any other conversion EV? Folks all over are replacing the drive trains of conventional cars to make them into EVs.

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They essentially tried to replicate the original EV1 drivetrain as much as possible. If you watch the video, they discuss how the paddle charger does not work because GM ripped out the controller, but they do have a working EV.

I think that they mainly are using it as a teaching tool, so that the future engineers get some hands on training. Hopefully there will be somewhere they can put it into practice. Maybe some former GM employees could split off and form a new EV company. :cool:

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All of this could have been done with a Honda Civic. Then they'd have developed procedures and blueprints that every high-school shop class in the country could follow to build an EV. Instead they have chosen a car that may be available to two or three groups at most, so very little of what they have done can be applied to a car other folks have access to.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They could have canabalized the chevy EV pickup ... it uses the same system. I'm sure steering linkage etc can't be identical ... but still, it seems they missed the boat. If they wanted to replicate the drive train, that'd be the way to go.

:focus:

Any who ~ my super secret source? I just heard there are over 100,000 sign ups trying to get the first Leaf's (or is that leaves :p).
    Think about it:
    GM's spin-machine FIRST claimed there was NOT a waiting list of 5,000. After the truth came out, a different lie was needed to cover the 1st lie: "Um, well, we contaced the thousands ... explained the car had this limitation, that limitation, and so it became nothing". Is that how you sell a car? Tell buyers it's really rotten? Long story short ~ The Leaf has proven ONE thing for certain. If a major manufacturer honestly MARKETS an EV ... you won't just get a waiting list of 5,000 ... you'll get twenty times that many people wanting your product. In GM's defense one might say the 2 seater versus 4 seater thing made a difference.

Wrong. They'd already made a 4 seater too (and a natural gas version, and a hybrid version) ... only it was called the "Precept".

[​IMG]

If GM felt 2 seater sales wouldn't be as good as 4 seater sales ... I'm just saying they'd already done much of the legwork to bring that about. Hmmm. I wonder where those body molds are now.

10. Andy_H

Andy_H New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Peak Oil.

Both Lutz & Ghosn have pointed directly/indirectly to peak oil. Peak oil makes EVs not only profitable, but also absolutely essential for corporate survival.

12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to bring up this zombie thread, but it hit in google, and since I went to UW for undergrad, I thought I would read up on the answers.

This was about students learning about hybrids, and was extracuricular, which means not part of a scheduled class. Key here was to understand how the things worked, and do it as cheaply and well as possible.
    Wisconsin Hybrid » General Motors EV1
    cool free chasis ready to be electrified dontated from gm that was gathering dust. This was much easier than getting honda to give them a civic and somehow building it out.
    cool free batteries from ford, although they needed to get some more from a ford donation to west virginia.
    Then a probably better than ev1 power train donated by ballard. Great stuff to learn on. The challenge X gives some more advanced students a chance to show off what they have learned.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO with 2020 hindsight gm got the volt more right than nissan got the leaf. The leaf program cost $4B-$5B. They have sold approximately 80,000 world wide from introduction through september (some areas only have reported for the first half of 2013). Nissan and Renault's vehicle sales may indeed take off in the next generation, but the vehicles need improvement. The volt/ampera is estimated to have cost gm about $1.2B (most of it written off at bankrupcy) and they have sold about 61,000 world wide from introduction through april.

The shame of crushing the ev1 is not that gm would have a profitable electric car by now, they might, but its doubtful. Its that the volt would have cost much less, and been much more profitable by now, and its technology may have gone to many other vehicles.

The precept was the expensive diesel from PNGV, that could not even pass epa tests. GM did have a 4 seat ev1 and an erev ev1, put them together and you have a volt.

I don't think people would buy the body molds now, but there is the bmw i3, which is cfrp. Other than looks it outdoes everything ev1, has 4 seats and a range extender, and costs less than the ev1 adjusted for inflation.