1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leather seat problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by b777, Apr 2, 2008.

1. b777

b777 New Member

I just took my 2007 (4500 miles) with leather in to the dealer today to repair a very small slit on the drivers side left top side. They did a repair, something like glue which the dealer says is very good. I thought that we may have inflicted the cut on the seat, but after getting the car home and on close examination I noticed that the whole area is cracking. It seems that the leather in very thin and now I think that the leather is "defective" by maybe being to thin. Has anybody else experienced this problem? The dealer charged $92.00 to glue the leather, but I think it is a worse problem than I orginally thought. I need to know, I am taking it back in tomorrow.

2. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't had any problems like that. But, I have had mine for only 3 weeks and 750 miles on it and find the leather creases really easily. The leather is really thin. I do apply leather cleaner and conditioner on the seats to help with the creases. Have you applied any leather and conditioner to your seats? I am not sure where you are at, but the sun and cold really hurt your leather if you don't take care of it.

3. ForTheGlory

ForTheGlory New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also noticed that the leather is quite thin. I found a small cut in the leather in my back seat a couple of weeks ago, and was surprised to find out that the leather seemed to just be a very thin cover over the padding.

4. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aren't the leather seats covered under the bumper to bumper war.?? I have been using ArmorAll leather wipes on the leather seats in my Honda for 5 yrs. & no cracks or rips. Granted, a Honda Accord EX probably has better seats than a Prius, but taking care of leather seats is a must. I also live in a hot climate and all my cars have after market window tint that keeps much of the sunlight out of the car & seats. Hope this helps.

5. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Guys
    the leather should NOT split. B777, the likelyhood of you "cutting" your leather in the area you indicated is extremely unlikely. If it was under your rump, maybe. I really think you should go back to the dealer and seek repair (read replacement leather seat cover) under Toyota warrenty. Glueing leather is not going to be a permanent fix. Also, I agree wholeheartedly with the others, if you have leather, clean every months, and condition every 3 months to keep leather soft and supple.
    Fernsmom

6. dragon168

dragon168 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i noticed that the leather gets scratched so easily. front passenger side pimple like dots starting to show. back seat a couple of scratch line kinda showing.

about 3 weeks about while driving an error key not detected started to come on the dash. interior lights started flashing.

any inputs? thanks.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does your Prius have the Smart system? If so, replace the fob battery. It is a CR2032 available at any drugstore.