1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaving ODBII wireless transmitter always connected?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Alan Claver, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Alan Claver

Alan Claver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Anyone with an ODBII WiFi transmitter leave it plugged in all the time? Any reason to leave it connected or remove it when not in use? Phantom power draw? Computer problems?

BTW: While I was connecting it I noticed the plastic shield surrounding the port is not strongly fastened to the under-dash. Seems very "floppy". Is that normal?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The OBDII WiFi device that I have has indicating lights on and I can connect with the car off. So the device does have some small current draw when the car is off. I do not keep mine connected all of the time mainly because I keep a SGII connected when not using WiFi.

The plastic around the port is not supported very well but I do not know that I would call it floppy.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people (myself included) got error codes and brake problems after leaving OBD2 plugged in. Do a search. Not worth the risks.

4. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I leave my ScanGauge plugged in all the time and it only comes on if I step on the brake when the car is off. Must not draw much. I have a wireless transmitter also but dont use it much since I prefer the SG II.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The SGII is configured to power down on loss of comm with the CAN bus for the Prius. So when you power the car down the SGII powers down too. I have had mine plugged in for 2+ years now and never had a problem.