1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED Headlamps - rainbow effect

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Lee Bridges, May 25, 2013.

1. Lee Bridges

Lee Bridges Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a question about what's normal for LED headlamps.

Background: Own a 2013 v 5 w/ATP. Across the top of the field of light produced by the LED headlamps there is a rainbow of color, red on the top band, followed by yellow (seemingly the brightest) and a faint band of blue on bottom. I've never gotten out and measured it, but I would say it spans an inch or two when viewed on the back of cars in front of me at a stop light.

So, if this typical for the LED lamps and their associated optics? Or do I need to take it to the dealer for some sort of adjustment?

2. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is more of a reflection effect from the lens. I don't think it was designed to have colors as you stated.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not really looked for it on my PIPA but this is how HIDs look. It is normal except there is usually only one or two colors. LEDs may be different in this respect.

Here is the color band on a really good set of HIDs.

image.jpg

4. Lee Bridges

Lee Bridges Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks folks. I had been assuming it was due to the optics producing the sharp cut-off of light, but then most know what "assume" has as a second meaning.

F8L likes this.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lee Bridges likes this.
  6. like2bike

like2bike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm surprised the manual doesn't have a warning about driving behind white panel trucks at night while taking psychedelic drugs. They warnings in there about every other ludicrous possibility. "For vehicles with LED headlights: Do not drive behind large white panel trucks at night while taking psychedelic drugs. Resulting visual effect may lead to serious psychological disturbances (bad trip) or death."

Eric "v" and F8L like this.