1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED swap! color change green to blue (in progress)

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by SquallLHeart, Mar 21, 2012.

1. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    well, after yanking out the standard (non-navi) headunit out of a Prius C... I figured I'd do what I usually do and start changing out the stock LEDs for different colored ones.

as all of you should know, the stock interior illumination is green.. and I want them to be blue.. it's estimated to be about 4 hrs worth of soldering.. but to start at the least, I've gotten the radio apart to the circuit board..

yes.. very small 0603 leds... and there's 62 of them total. omg. it's gonna be a long process.

[​IMG]

*update 4/4*
    changed HVAC to blue with white indicators
    [​IMG]

*update 4/10*
    steering wheel controls swapped out
    [​IMG]

2. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    cool dude, more power to ya. The stock head really is crapola as far as sound quality goes but I'm sure the blue will be a good look until upgrading to something better. Mind posting pictures of how you removed the dash/head unit? Would be a big time saver once the dash kit and wire harnesses come out.

3. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    When you removed the head unit did you happen to notice if the usb/aux input is a passthrough that just plugs into the back of the head or is it hard wired into the harness/head? Most good afternarket radios have rear USB inputs and using the existing port/cable would be most practical.

4. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    it does plug into the back of the stock headunit, but it's a proprietary connector.. it's something else completely different..

btw.. yeah.. in all honesty, i'm doing this for the fun of it.. it really is a waste of time and effort making a stock, not-so-great-performing headunit.. look better..

photos of the avic install are in the other speaker thread.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dolce_Vita

Dolce_Vita Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always wanted to do this to a car, good luck with it! Although i'd personally go for a white and red mix of colours (Audi style) - it looks so classy!

6. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    well, takes a very steady hand.. and a TON of patience to do this.. i have another project i'm doing right now with changing the leds on a G35 gauge cluster.. and until that's done.. i'm going to place this radio project on hold... the G35 takes precedence at this moment.

i think i might end up changing the temp/ac control area first, since it'll be faster and easier than dealing with this radio... and that's actually something i know that will stay in the car.. (vs.. a radio i might end up changing out in the future)..

7. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    finished HVAC. updated first post with photo.

8. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  9. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd hire you to do mine!

10. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    sure! lol.. the HVAC perhaps..

the radio.. OMFG.. not worth the time.. better spent getting an aftermarket headunit.. (and i still haven't started the radio yet.. :dizzy:)

next on the list to change (that isn't the radio).. are the steering wheel controls.. then i'll decide from there.

11. Logical

Logical Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Could you give some info on how you disassembled the dash area?
    And maybe someinfo about the LEDs, (where got them and what kind , etc) you used on the HVAC area? I thinking about doing it in orange to match the exterior :roll eyes:

12. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    disassembly:
    1 - remove panel surrounding radio (unplug hazard button connector)
    2 - remove passenger heat/air vent thingy
    3 - remove upper large curvy piece
    4- remove lower curvy piece
    yank out HVAC unit (disconnect connector)

[​IMG]

the leds used in the HVAC unit are 1206 sized leds.
    I personally carry a stock of LEDs that I purchased awhile back thru a trusted supplier I've been using for years... I always have a few on hand because it's a hobby, as well as a side job I do for others looking to do the same thing.. and offer my services.

taking apart vehicles is like second nature to me... i figured it out all by myself just by visually analyzing the interior panels and how they fit together... as well as some random yanking here and there to confirm such assumptions.

13. actiondonkey

actiondonkey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    HVAC looks great! You might be able to make some $$ if you're willing to do this for others.

14. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    well.. I've been doing this type of work for others in the past on other vehicles. :p
    last week I had a guy from Florida send me parts from a G35 to switch out.. lol.

I can also provide whatever advice/help if you want to try to learn to do this yourself.

i still haven't touched the radio.. lol.. i think i'll leave it green and deal with it for now until i change it out... i'll start the steering wheel probably next week when i have more time.

15. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wish you lived in Texas, I'd pay you good money to change mine out and do a number of modifications that you have posted about lol

16. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    if you want help in learning how to solder, how to take apart the car... or whatever else.. lemme know..

if you want to take apart your car and ship the stuff out for me to modify.. well.. like i mentioned, I do that often. lol.. :rolleyes:

as far as wrapping the front end of the vehicle to black out the center... I don't think I can really help you out much. :D

17. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I would love to learn! Just the idea of splicing into the headlights for a led strip gets me anxious lol

18. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    splicing and wiring up things is one thing... soldering small surface mount components on a circuit board is a whole new different level. lol.

in Houston, there should be a Fry's Electronics store located there (please, please... DO NOT go to the Shack..) there you should find everything you would need to help you solder.

if you're completely inexperienced in soldering, they have little kits and whatnot you can purchase so you an get the basics down. from there, we can move on to the slightly more advanced SMD rework which is what these LEDs are.

the LEDs can be sourced thru me, or thru other online/overseas suppliers.. just ask me if you have any questions... and as the internet is.. there's a plethora of learning resources out there.

1 person likes this.
  19. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    *update 4/10* added photo of steering wheel controls to first post.

going to do window switches next.. along with.. other stuff.. whatever.

1 person likes this.
  20. Tek55

Tek55 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That looks NICE