1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LED swap! color change green to blue (in progress)

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by SquallLHeart, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks I would be interested.

John (Britprius)

2. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That looks good! I would pay you to change it too! lol

3. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the OEM green in my Prius IV package is hideous. I bought it with this kind of mod in mind. I want white though. Great job.

4. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    white would be totally possible :p

5. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i need you to come to NY and do my C1 including the radio and everything. please? lol

this is a must do mod for a car to look up to date

ztanos likes this.
  6. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you were local I would try to pay you to do it!

7. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well in retrospect how much of a job is this? can it be done in a day with all the parts in front of you? How much might you charge for the job :) I'm talking everything.

8. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    due to the sheer amount of labor work required for the radio (after inspection of the circuit board).. i pretty much scrapped the radio project... it's seriously not worth the time that's required to change the stock radio's leds.

it'd be more practical to just replace the radio entirely with an aftermarket headunit.. and in the meantime gives you a much better improved sound quality (even with the stock speakers).

so the a/c controls, the steering wheel, the one driver window switch (the 'AUTO' illuminates), as well as the "eco mode" and "ev" switch are changeable.. and aren't too horrible to replace.

it's been awhile, so i forgot exactly how many leds were involved in changing out everything. the number will determine cost... but i imagine it costing around $100 or so with parts and labor.

9. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ic ic how unfortunate. I wonder what the steering wheel and other parts done would look like too. Just leaving the radio green.

10. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i have photos in the first post?

11. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I went back and looked thanks. I have the regular 2010 Prius. Very different dash where the Navi is concerned as well. I wonder if it would be easier to do mine than yours but I also have the navi. It's a worthwhile endeavor what your doing I think. I just do not like the green at all. I can accept it if I must of course. To me the green is old school looking and generic.

12. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ah.. a 2010 liftback. steering wheels should be exactly the same. the dash obviously will be different, but i can't imagine the circuit board being more complicated.. it'd just be laid out differently.

the navi, i think has less buttons because of the screen, so it'll probably require less labor to complete if you wanted it done... but i'm sure it'll still be a pain regardless. radio leds are usually 0603 sized surface mount leds which are pretty small.

13. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It's VERY compelling to do it. He'll even making the drive up to SJ. If your interested.

14. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you used to own a Scion? I think I know you.

15. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    lol.. i had a tC... yes.. i was doing led swaps for Scions and misc other vehicles back in the day. :LOL:
    we probably share mutual friends... like everyone knows Rodney.. lol.

of course once i got my Prius C, the first thing I had to do was change the LEDs out.. just not only for the sake of being able to do it first... but to see how difficult it was.

but yea.. OMG the radio.. i took it apart.. and the amount of LEDs i saw as well as estimating the amount of time involved.. :eek: screw that... totally not worth it to make it look more pretty. everything else was fine.

16. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the Salsa Red Pearl xA. We met at a few shows in SoCal I believe. Maybe SEMA too.

17. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the VIP one?? or vip-ish... uhh.. LOL.. your username does look familiar :X3:

well, i still go to SEMA.. have been for the last 4 years or so anyway. mostly been working on other cars for friends and stuff.. more recently been helping on a VIP Nissan Cube for the last couple of years.

otherwise, I don't really go to car shows anymore.. finances and other stuff have pulled me out yet again from the scene.. even though i roughly grazed it when i first got my Prius C. got sponsored and stuff too.. but alas! no rims.. pretty much the one real last touch before it's remotely show-worthy... and then the hit and run on the front bumper i haven't been able to afford to fix has been part of it too..

still trying to be "the first" at things.. though because of my lack of income, people like Garm and other people have gotten and installed parts I've been eyeballing long before they even got their car. :cry:

18. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I did my best with the VIPStyled but it was an xA. So I got the Lexus RX and Really VIPStyled it. That ended up at SEMA 2011 and some Lexus calendar.

Attached Files:

19. SquallLHeart

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    ah.. i'm sure we've probably bumped into each other at one point or another. :)

20. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would this project be possible for a person with basic electronic knowledge to do? How hard is it to take out the old LED and replace? Is it as simple as heating up the solder on the connector and possing out, then replacing the same way?

Thanks. (BTW I have a 2011 Liftback)