1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Left Lane Hogs to be Punished in Georgia

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SPEEDEAMON, Mar 4, 2014.

1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    edthefox5, cwerdna and amm0bob like this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    As pointed out in the comments, Georgia, and most states already have an impeding traffic law on the books. This just appears to be a rewrite to negate a "I was going the speed limit" defense. Both versions require a cop to witness the impeding happening. So it won't regularly enforced.

The new version seems to be pandering to speeders and tailgaters. You shouldn't drive the speed limit in the left lane to control the limit yourself though.

amm0bob likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Things must be pretty groovy in Georgia if they have time to pass goofy laws like that.
    That?
    Or reading isn't really big in that state.
    See also: Aridzona.

Now...to be clear?
    I think that left lane hypermilers are only surpassed on the interstate a$$hole charts by truck drafters and people who text while driving.....but as stated above there are already laws in most states saying that if you're not passing you need to be in the right lane.
    There are signs.
    No.
    Not biblical signs.
    These:
    [​IMG]

They have them in Jawgah too.
    BTDT.
    Who enforces this "new" law?
    The Department of extra redundancy???? (DER!) :rolleyes:

4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I guess whoever enforces the current one. So if you get stuck in the passing lane behind someone that should move over, you still need a cop there to see it.

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Big problem here, these signs are all in English!!! All the #1 lane offenders that I notice, appear not to have the ability to actually read English, much less drive in the correct lane at the proper speed!

6. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's an idea, why not just increase the speed limit to a speed they will actually enforce? Or are there that few people in the state of George that the left lane can be used up for solely passing while every car drives in the right lane?

7. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Outside of ridiculously overcrowded urban areas???
    Yes.
    That's kinda the whole point with the "passing" lane.

Now....having been sentenced to drive in SOCAL for weeks at a time while in the service, I understand that things are different when you have 16 lanes of traffic jostling for position and doing the stop-go-stop-go thing.
    It's kinda like earthquakes, wildfires, water shortages, high crime, goofy politicians, insane regulations, high gas, and confiscatory taxes......all part of the joy of living in paradise! :D

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seriously, for every driver poking in the left lane how many are speeding weaving in any lane, playing with their cell phone, or high?

Just really tired of people with hypermiler hate that WISH people like me are hosing up the passing lane (which I DON'T.)

9. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess that's true, it's kind of hard to understand the concept of these two lane highways when we're used to the 16 lane traffic jams :p

10. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I've heard of the Summer of George but not the state of George until now. :rolleyes:

The technology exists to monitor speeds on our highways and send speeders tickets in the mail. But it costs $$$$$ and state troopers are still cheaper. But some day, speed limits will be enforceable with affordable tech. I can't wait.

11. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    To be fair, the comments to the article aren't calling out hypermilers or hybrids. The blame is on those ignorant of left to pass rule or cell phone users.

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I hope not. I don't support speeding, but red light cameras are mostly about generating revenue than safety. I don't expect any automated system to monitor speed to end up any differently.

13. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be useful at least for a while in areas with essentially no law enforcement like metro Detroit at 6 AM. The troopers are apparently having coffee and donuts at that time every day.

It doesn't have to be permanent, only long enough to slow down the egregious speeders who are the ones who cause at least 50% of the accidents - the other 50% being the average Prius driver.

14. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Maybe I'm still sensitive to the hundreds of articles back in 2006-2008 that copied the first few saying hypermilers did that and draft 18-wheelers.

15. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

Warning - may be politically incorrect.

But it seems to be factual young Hispanics like to speed more than the general population (which likes to speed a lot.) Can't find the Dallas Morning News article but that group has had double the arrests over the last decade for going over 95....probably have to account for population increase. Also Motor vehicle crash fatalities: A comparison o... [Ann Emerg Med. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

Language barriers don't keep a drive from seeing 70 or whatever the PSL is. This may be a cultural thing and might need to be addressed on that level, although reckless drive in is just dangerous to all - period.

16. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FWIW we had those in AZ, and studies showed their use correlated to a decrease in freeway speeding, decrease in highway fatalities, and were cheaper than highway patrol. So of course they took them out ;)

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I see this every day, left lane dick pulls to the right when the trooper pulls up behind him. When the trooper passes, he pulls right back into the left lane.

18. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They passed this law in Pa. a few years ago. Doesn't do any good. Cops don't enforce it.

19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they allowed people to nudge left lane morons out of the way?
    THAT would solve several problems.

You could have pay-per-view coverage and generate a helluva lot of income too.
    I'd pay BIG money to see somebody 'Pitt' a Buick being driven by a blue hair in the passing lane! :D

They could cordon off the right-most lane(s) for the hypermilers and the faint-of-heart.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's wrong with driving the speed limit in the left lane? i thought it was for passing people going below the limit. it's a limit, not a minimum.;)

PriusC_Commuter likes this.