1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Let's talk fuels

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Scuderia Priusi, May 4, 2016.

1. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is my first Prius (Gen 4/4) and I'd appreciate some user-feedback (both technical and anecdotal) on fuel used. The 1.8L engine in the 2016 has been re-worked by Toyota, so there are differences between prior models and the 2016 models, but I believe that owners experiences with fuels will remain relevant.

I have several fuel-related questions (sorry for the wall of text - this is the technical forum, after all!):

1. Fuel Grades: Is there any benefit to be had from using 'medium'/Plus fuel (typically 89 octane in the USA), vs. plain ol' Regular/87 octane gas? How about 'premium'/Super (91 octane or higher)?

-and-

2. Fuel system cleaners, like Gumout/Techron/STP, etc.: What effects on mileage overall, any noticeable improvements after treatment, recommended interval between use?

-and-

3. Winter fuels - any noticeable mpg drop-off or other effects using winter or 'oxygenated' fuel (typically with higher alcohol and butane content)?

I'll start with what I know from theory, and past experience:

1. Higher octane fuel helps avoid detonation, and allows an engine operate closer to it's designed peak output power - to a point. With modern engine management, detonation is avoided through knock-sensors and active ignition timing adjustment, but with the Atkinson cycle engine design in the Prius, increased octane may or may not 'help' the engine operate more efficiently. In warmer weather, this might be the case with Prii; in colder weather, I don't know. But in general the higher the compression ratio, the more a higher octane fuel can help an engine produce it's peak power and torque. The 1.8L has a 'mechanical' CR of 13:1 which is pretty danged high...so my instinct tells me that there would be at least some minor gain in power/torque, even if the Atkinson cycle dumps some of the CR through valve timing. Does any one know the definitive answer for this engine specifically? And, does it help the Prius in hot weather, like it definitely does for cars with 'normal' ICEs?

2. Fuel system cleaner is a good thing to use occasionally, stuff builds up and cleaners remove at least some of it from injectors, pumps, and so forth. It dilutes the gas a little bit when used, so mileage in theory would drop slightly, but once it has run through the motor I would think mileage would improve incrementally afterwards (until deposits gradually build up again...)

3. Winter fuels have less energy by volume that summer fuels, so it follows that they make less power by volume, which means lower fuel mileage. However I'm not sure how noticeable this is in a Prius. What you owners observed in this regard?

NB/Extra credit...has anyone played around with very high-octane fuels (like avgas, racing fuel...nitro?) in their Prius or know of it being used, and the effects? Gawd no, I'm not going to go there and try it, but am just curious. I do admit that I like the smell of nitromethane in the morning...it smells like - you know!

Cheers,
    -PT

2. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) no

2) no idea

3) yes

4):)

pakitt likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. You should be using Reg 87 in almost all cases. The Premium octane does not help. Of course, E0 offers about 3% more energy/MPG in theory but high cost is usually not worth it.

As a very fine point, your area is not EPA reformulated RFG which means you might have more variations in energy content than some of us have in RFG areas. You might find with experimentation some brands or grades might have a little more MPG, but it's hard to predict, measure, and/or figure out. If cost was no object and you were trying set the Prius Chat per tank distance records, may want to try E0..maybe E0 Premium. Here in my area (RFG) we have no E0 at all, and no variations in grades except octane.

2. TopTierGas.com stations add more than enough detergent additives. If you are going to off brand smaller stations you might want to consider a periodic dose of Techron etc. Or go with a few tanks of Top Tier once in a while. Not sure since I just do Top Tier as we have them here.

3. Winter fuel is less energy maybe 2% less MPG (due to added butanes etc) but it's E10 so no change in oxygenated fuel level. That was the old days. Today it's E10 mandated summer/winter/USA-wide almost.

Of course winter MPG is stinky for many reasons in addition to the gaso.

NOTE: above comments for USA, and basically consistent with Toyota Op Guide which is the key referee - nothing here intended to over-ride the USA Op Manual.

#4 wjtracy, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Trollbait, CR94, JohnF and 1 other person like this.
  5. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ah, thank you. Before I posted here I did several forum searches for premium gas, but for some reason I never found that thread.

6. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    John's Prius site has data, graphs, logs, etc.
    For a Seasonal MPG graph see: John's Stuff - Toyota Prius and more . . . click on ===> Prius data ==> MPG graph (PDF)
    imo, use E0 instead of E10 if you can. Ethanol is a political thingy.

Enjoy.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @bwilson4web did a test on the Gen 3. From what I can remember, summer highway trips with 89 Plus has a bit of boost in performance over 87 regular (esp. with high stress like mountain driving). Here's the post.

Premium or Regular? | PriusChat

No idea on fuel system cleaners. I occasionally dump a bottle in or have it done at service and I haven't noticed anything.

Winter grade? Yes but the problem is that there's everything else like cooler temperatures, winter tires on steel rims etc.

ETP likes this.
  8. Scuderia Priusi

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you all for the responses, things are clear now. Found a couple more threads here that corroborate top-tier 87 as the fuel of choice, with 89 perhaps marginally of benefit for long climbs/high temps. Winter robs mileage. Oh, and of course YMMV (heh, I'm sure that's never been said here before)!

ETP likes this.
  9. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Based on my experience here in Germany, anything that is not E10 (10% ethanol) with higher octane, is a waste of money. The car works perfectly fine as it is and for what it is designed for and fuel consumption is in line with my driving style and what others report. And I bought fuel from all sorts of suppliers, known brands, regional, supermarkets and even single point of sale fuel (we have a couple here).

The car now has 60k miles, and I never used any mentioned in 2) and not once I had a repair of sorts.

I think for modern cars designed for E10 fuel, 1) and 2) are a waste of money.

As for 3) I don't know since here there is no way to know if they are selling in winter anything different from what you get in summer. I think it is the same fuel. (Only diesel, they change the formulation to avoiding it freezing in the tank...).

ETP likes this.
  10. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    moon shine runs greatWhen I taght school, "just say no you can always say yes later"

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    1. Unless the valve timing can go full Otto cycle, I don't see how higher octane fuel can help in a Prius. The EPA test blend for emissions and fuel economy is ethanol free and premium, though.
    2. If you are sticking to top tier gas brands, it isn't needed. If it's mostly independent stations, then it might help. I've found that 2 to 5 ounces of KleanStrip paint thinner works just as well as most of the fuel system cleaners.
    3. You sometimes will see a drop or jump when the market switches blends, but spring and fall have plenty of other random variables going on. Winter blend may help with cold starts, back in the day, but now I think it is a way refineries can off load excess butane.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes true lots of butane is available, so if butane cannot be used in winter gasoline, then there is no home for butane at all. I mean how many Bic lighters can they make? As a consumer butane affords cheaper gaso and less waste of petroleum barrels, as long as it is acceptable for the environmental re: smog.

>>>Re: Prius fuels choice, we should be very clear that so far we are discussing USA Fuel recommendations for Prius, and nothing we said above (except some fine points) is any different than Toyota recommendations in the Owners Manual, also Toyota is also apparently a supporter of the Top Tier Gas rating concept. Foreign countries whole new ball game possibly, and we are not over-riding the Toyota Op manual.

#13 wjtracy, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  13. Grus

Grus Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There is a kind of job called engine calibration engineer, normally the car has been verified and re-calibrated with kinds of local fuels by them before selling in a specific marketing area. Do what the Owners Manual says is very safe.
    Higher octane fuel will bring slightly better performance (power & mpg), but may not worth the money. It is safe to swich between 87/89/91 fuel. But it is not recommended to switch forward and backward too often. The ECU's auto-tuning through sensors with different fuels needs some time, you may encounter some bumpy during switching.
    And unless you drive your Prius very agressively or in a less developed country with low-quality fuels, fuel system cleaners won't be necessarily needed.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    1. I flip open the Owners Manual, it says to use regular, that's what I do. AFAIK, only a very few cars actually NEED higher octane, and even they could manage fine on regular; albeit with some downgrade in performance. Basically engines with higher compression, and it would be noted in Owner's Manual.

upload_2016-5-5_9-22-47.png

2. Haven't used any gas additives in about 30 years, suspect they're pointless snake oil.

3. Must be happening, but I don't really notice anything. Any change would be masked by colder weather and what it does.

pakitt likes this.
  15. dstahre

dstahre Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Octane is designed to prevent knock. You gain nothing from using an octane higher than that recommended for your vehicle, despite what the gasoline companies would like you to believe!

Mendel Leisk and pakitt like this.
  16. mcdavidbranson

mcdavidbranson New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I use plus fuel with higher octane just to be safe !

17. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You should use what is mentioned in the user manual. Anything else is probably a waste of money. More expensive higher octane fuels do not bring anything to cars designed to use a lower octane, like the Prius is.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No need. Modern engine controls include knock sensors, which allow all high compression engines but the ones in real high power sports cars to be premium fuel recommended, not required these days.

So if the car doesn't get a fill up often, or got some old gas from an out of the way station, the ECU will dial back the ignition timing to compensate for octane a little below regular. The gas has to be really bad for the system not to be able to handle it.

pakitt likes this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the USA, around 85% of our sales are Regular, and 95% is E10.
    So it's a good thing Prius likes E10 Reg, cause that's mostly what we got here.

The Premium sales are ticking up due to more new cars (not Prius) require Premium for turbo +MPG for CAFE regulations, so that seems to be pushing Premium costs higher. So that extra cost makes it even less attractive.

E10 sales are ticking up due to EPA mandates for max ethanol, so E0 is probably also getting harder to find and more expensive as marketers need to meet their ethanol quotas or pay a fee.