1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Let's use Fuelly to keep better tab on our mpg's

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ChipL, Apr 2, 2012.

1. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While threads on our latest tank and the difference are cool to read at times; I think that Fuelly will give us all a better idea of what is really going on in our quest for better mpg ratings.

We could even post a link which would show the high point of our best mpg as of a certain date. Like this:

The Grey Ghost (Toyota Prius) | Fuelly

The above link with the notes that Fuelly allows shows the differences I have gotten so far from the MFD.

Next week I have a couple of road trips coming up will have notes about a road trip to Lebanon PA for Easter; and a road trip later that week that will show the mileage with maybe the Thule Raceway 3 rack on a trip to he beach. The notes would/will help those that want to make the most of the Prii IMO.

But in the end I hope that it will provide a unified thread and look at what we as Prii drivers are getting. Instead of snapshots based on whatever we choose to post on....

We can even add each other as friends on Fuelly; to better see how we all are doing....

2. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    75 views so far... And no takers to make priuschat a better place....

3. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    After browsing some of the fuel economy threads I went and entered the data I had kicking around from last year for my RAV4.

However, one piece of data that is missing from almost everyone's fuel economy postings is the type of fuel (straight gas, E-10, or E-15 if they make it).

Ethanol contains a third less of the energy that gasoline does, so there's about a 3% decrease in fuel economy for using a 10% ethanol blend. That's what I'd been using to fill my RAV4 UNTIL I did the math and discovered that the E-10 at the gas station really wasn't a good deal.

So I think that we all need to include a note about what gas we are filling up on so that we can normalize our figures.

Mathematically speaking, E-10 contains 96.58% of the stored energy that gasoline contains.

[​IMG]

4. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You'd probably get more information to more people having folks post their mileage at Fuel Economy.

5. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    May be ask the mods to move this thread then...

6. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I added a 2nd fuelly since I need to keep track of the mpg w/ stock wheels that I reinstalled. I got 55.45 cal. mpg.

7. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  8. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just signed up for this last night! Since my car only had 28 miles (some of that from me test driving) on it when I bought it this past Saturday and the Dealer filled up a full tank for me I have not had to fill up yet. I can estimate what the price of gas was in the area that he filled up, should I put this estimation into Fuelly or should I just start the very first time I fill up myself? I chose to track by the odometer and not by trip miles so how will that work if I wanted to start my lifetime MPG with information about my car's mileage being at "0?"

9. BornPriiOrDie

BornPriiOrDie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I setup my Fuelly to include the tank of gas given to us by the dealer and used the odometer reading when we first saw the car (*1* mile). I put $0 for the price of the gas.

10. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cool, this makes sense. I just tried to do this, I put $0.00 for price, 1 for odometer reading, and 0 gallons. It told me I had to put in a value for this. Should I just put in 11.9? I'm pretty sure my dealer put in a full tank for me since he kind of knew us anyways.

11. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cool, this makes sense. I just tried to do this, I put $0.00 for price, 1 for odometer reading, and 0 gallons. It told me I had to put in a value for this. Should I just put in 11.9? I'm pretty sure my dealer put in a full tank for me since he kind of knew us anyways.

Also, where does everyone get those little banner things in their signature from Fuelly that shows your MPG?

12. BornPriiOrDie

BornPriiOrDie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    That is what I did, to show a full tank since it was full when we drove off.

13. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All I can say is that I trusted that my dealer gave me a full tank of gas, till I filled up the next time. I am using the method of miles per a fill up....

14. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How do you get that Fuelly banner picture in your signature? Or where did you go to get that Fuelly banner so that I can put that in my signature too. :)

15. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fuelly FAQ
    How do I use a Fuelly forum signature/badge?
    A Fuelly forum signature (or badge) is an image that you can use to sign your posts at vehicle discussion forums. The instructions for adding a forum signature will be different for different forums, but here's a general outline:
    Go to the forum you participate in and see if they have a "signature" feature that allows images.
    If so, find out if the forum uses "BBCode" or "HTML" to include images.
    Once you know, go to Fuelly and click on your vehicle.
    On the vehicle detail page, click the yellow badge icon under Recent Fuel-Ups. It looks like this:
    On the "Fuelly Signature" page, choose the image you want.
    Copy either the HTML or BBCode for your image.
    Go to your forum and paste the code into the form for updating your signature.
    The main thing to keep in mind is that you need to copy a little bit of code from Fuelly and paste it into the right form at your forum.
    posted on August 20, 2010

All FAQs

3 people like this.
  16. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yay! Thanks much!! :D

1 person likes this.
  17. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Fuelly? Never heard of it? :)

18. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love Fuelly. I wish that I could keep track of even more cars then it allows! :D I track 5 right now but I would like to have 7. ;)

19. MikeHof

MikeHof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I joined though I don't have much data yet.

20. PriusUrbandaleIA

PriusUrbandaleIA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just started my account. It was easy since I (type a personality) keep a log book of my fill-ups. How do add it to my profile?