1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leviton GFCI Plug just for EVs! And It's Green!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DavidAhrendts, Apr 16, 2014.

1. DavidAhrendts

DavidAhrendts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    PiP people, was cruising for charging systems and came across the Leviton family of Level 1s and Level 2s, and guess what?!? They make a special GFCI just for Level 1 EV charging. How nice. Search for: Leviton T7591-PEV Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. And it's GREEN! How cool is that. Amazon has it, Home Depot online has it, and I will have two: one for the office and one for home.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very nice! i may grab one for work plug in, thanks!(y) and welcome to priuschat!:)

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just a small tip. Never unplug the charger while charging is in progress. I did so accidentally, and it created a large white spark, which is bad for the connectors. Such a spark also creates a large EMP, which is bad for any surge suppressors or electronics that may be in the circuit.

4. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Excuse my ignorance, but the "brick" already has GFCI. So wouldn't it be redundant to have another GFCI?o_O

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The brick GFCI only protects the circuit from it to the car. A GFCI in the charger box protects the whole circuit.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, you should always first unplug the J1772 handle to avoid arcing at the outlet. J1772 handles inside have a small switch as part of the release.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure the above statement is completely accurate...
    While modding my current OEM EVSE I drew it's 120v PC board power (probably drawing only a few hundred milli-amps) from the black (hot) lead and green (ground) and it tripped it's internal GFI circuit without even being plugged into the car. Without being connected to the car- the high current output relay is opened so the EVSE to car 120v circuit is unpowered on both legs, that's why I'm concluding that the built in EVSE GFI is for outlet to EVSE.
    It may cover the EVSE to car circuit as well, but it definitely protects the outlet to EVSE circuit.

Also, "Ingineer" who runs the EVSEUpgrade.com site said on the Leaf forum:
    "3. The EVSE already includes GFCI detection that is designed to avoid nuisance-tripping while charging. This means you do not need an external GFCI to preserve safety.

My Nissan Leaf Forum • View topic - HELP: OEM EVSE tripping outlet's GFCI