1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus CT200h and Power Mode - allowing higher voltage to MG2?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pakitt, Feb 17, 2011.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am reading on an italian review of the Lexus CT200h that in Power Mode the voltage at MG2 is allowed up to a max of 650V. This would hint to the fact that in the other modes (ECO and normal) this is not the case and the voltage allowed is lower.
    Is this case also for the Prius? can anyone confirm this somehow with a Scangauge?
    If this is the case, then PWR mode on the Prius does not only change the mapping and keep the engine on more often, but does also change the way electric power is delivered to the MG2...

2. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    650 V is the same voltage used in a Gen III Prius. They share the same powertrain.

[​IMG]

Thanks goes to the person who made and/or is hosting the above image.

1 person likes this.
  3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Exactly!
    So does the Hybrid-System Voltage of the Prius always use the full voltage available (650V) or like the CT200h use it only when in PWR mode???
    If the powertrain is the same, does the CT have different software for the modes, or are they all the same - and if so, then the Prius does *not* only do gas pedal re-mapping...

Please note that the Owner's Manual of the Prius on page 171 says:

It does not say at all how these "high levels" of response are achieved. If the CT200h is doing something different though still sharing the same drivetrain, then either the Prius is not doing it, or it is doing it as well....and PWR mode is therefore not only a gas pedal mapping but actively changing other parameters as well (e.g. max high voltage allowed to drive MG2).

4. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My guess is that if you slam on the gas pedal in any mode, you get max volt. This is why 0-60 is the same in all modes. My guess is that Lexus is just using this as a marketing ploy. Thus, 0-60 in the CT200h even in Sport mode is NOT any faster than the Prius...and according to recent Edmunds testing, even SLOWER than the Prius! It is the same powertrain with a few extras...such as more sporty steering feel in sport mode and the dash changes to red color (ala Honda CRZ).

5. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing the Prius uses a VFD to chop up a DC voltage to create a polyphase AC to feed to the motors. The VFD can change both the frequency and output voltage, depending on the speed & load. Using more voltage than the load demands doesn't necessary help the motor run any faster. The voltage is more determined by the speed (frequency) the motor is running at, and the current required at that voltage is determiend by the load (torque) required. So actually there is an optimal voltage that should be used to at any given situation to achieve the most efficiency.