1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lexus NX 300h First Drive

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ggood, Jul 14, 2014.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    nice just stylistically I hate the current lexus grills:(

This one makes a little more sense for the eco minded than the RXh. It gets about 3 mpg better fuel economy and I'm sure costs quite a bit less. 0-60 is a respectable 9 seconds. I'm sure that is slower than the rx, but the nx200t awd is 7 seconds. That may be a better deal than the rxh, as its 21/28/24 epa mpg which isn't bad compared the rxh 30/28/29. If those 5 mpg bother you for the rxh, you may be happy downgrading to nxh to get 3 more mpg (33/30/32 awd, 35/31/33 fwd).

It will be interesting to see how the awd system has matured since the rxh. I wonder if a similar system is what is going to be an option on the new gen IV prius.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    • Lexus estimates 35 miles per gallon in the city, 31 on the highway and 33 combined with front-wheel drive, and 33/30/32 with the brand's new E-Four all-wheel drive. Hmmm, not very impressive. Didn't the Ford Escape get similar numbers?
    • No mechanical connection between the front-mounted engine/motor combination and the rear wheels on AWD models. Instead, a completely separate motor/generator unit, rated at a peak of 67 horsepower, is housed in a unique transaxle that sends power to the rear wheels as needed. Electricity from the battery pack is diverted to the rear motor when slip is detected from the front wheels. AWD system is sort of interesting.
    • The P314 transmission is new for the NX, and it brings with it the brand's first use of a kick-down feature in a hybrid. As its name implies, the kick-down is called upon when the driver's right foot mashes down on the throttle, and it basically just forces the transmission into full-speed-ahead behavior. HUH? How is this different from current system?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's a couple mpg better than the old Escape hybrid. It does make the Crosstrek numbers look better
    For the purely financially considering buyer, non-hybrid crossover fuel efficiency has improved. Someone pointed out at Cleanmpg that the new Fit has 1 cubic foot less cargo space than the NS.
    Compare Side-by-Side

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Amazing, isn't it ?

The Fit is a marvel.

6. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Imagine if Honda brings that their hybrid Fit version to the US shores.

7. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There would be a beach full of cars? :)

Mike

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    While the Fit has those impressive magic seats, it isn't really a marvel that a car can match a SUV for cargo space. The old, out going Focus wagon had the space volume measurements as the new, redesigned RAV4 of the time. Its space was probably longer and more usable than the SUV's.

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We own a Fit in addition to a Prius vagon. The vagon is very roomy and no doubt has a longer axis, but the Fit is more versatile and certainly easier to use. Amazing that the comparison even comes up.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I probably wouldn't use the word "Amazing":
    • Honda Fit is not a hybrid in the USA
    • Nor is it a Prius/Lexus
    • Nor does it really compete with a Prius
    I put bringing in the Honda Fit in the same category as this guy talking about how the Chevy Aveo is as good as a Prius:
    [​IMG]
    Just someone else sucking on something trying to sell matches in a fireworks factory.

Bob Wilson

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Only in regard to interior cargo space.

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    bob its been consumer reports and car and driver pushing people to buy a fit instead of a prius instead of that guy. The new one does much better in fuel economy than the old one. ;-)

Compare Side-by-Side
    When we compare the fit to the nx it gets 3 mpg combined better than the NXh (NXh gets 3 miles better in each catagory than the RXh included).

The fit is going to be better on gas, more fun to drive, less expensive, easier to park. With the magic seat and with only 2 people it can also probably hold as much stuff, but put 4 or 5 in the car and the NXh will swallow more ;0)

The prius still gets 14 mpg combined more than the new fit cvt. The fit is catching up but far short.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Going by the numbers tossed around at Cleanmpg, the NX might hold a bag of groceries more than the Fit with all the seats up. Of course, the back passengers will likely be more comfortable in the NX.
    2015 Lexus NX 300h Preview - CleanMPG Forums
    On Japan's test cycles, the Fit hybrid is neck and with the Prius C, and I think Honda manages not to lose any cargo space.
    Of course, we won't get it here.:mad:

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    First let me say that for 2wd operation that NXh really doesn't make much sense over other cars, but it is better (3mpg combined) than the RXh, and likely fast enough and big enough for most RXh and HiHy buyers. We need to wait for the reviews to know for sure.

The big deal here will be for those looking for awd, and with the end of the escape hybrid, this is significantly better than all other vehicles out there. Next year we should also see the outlander phev. If someone is in it for the less oil though, and looking at 2wd, and concerned about tco, its hard to pass up other vehicles.

+1
    Its hard to translate from the japanese test to the epa, and the US version doesn't have a dct transmission. Then the question is would you pay $21.5 K for the hybrid that gets say 47 mpg, or $18K for the fit that gets 35 mpg. I don't think the hybrid would garner many more fit sales here. For all the people that have no one, or only kids in the back, it may pay to go cheap with a fit versus a NXh, if they don't need the room or awd.

15. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The Fit Hybrid will probably come to the States now that the insight is discontinued.

I think the Fit is unattractive.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    While Toyota's hybrid system has an edge in the city, I wouldn't say it is significantly better than all others. The NX puts the Crosstrek hybrid in a new perspective, and what was once seen as a disappointing improvement over the non-hybrid looks good. It is a 31mpg combined to the NX's 32. The standard Imperza wagon gets 30 combined. The new Outback is rated the same as the non-hybrid Crosstrek. Which does seem a little questionable, but it will carry more than the HX. Even the smaller Subarus have more space behind the second seat row. Then there other choices beyond Subaru that offer AWD while having above the average car rating.
    Compare Side-by-Side

For those that don't want such pedestrian brands, there is the BMW 328d xDrive wagon with 31city/43highway/35combined.