1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Liftgate Closure Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jaywong, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Jaywong

Jaywong New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Everyone!

Please forgive me if this is a repeat topic (new member here). One thing that brought me here is the noise of my liftgate when being closed. When the liftgate contacts the latch it makes a rattle-y/loose sound. The trunk is locked and secure however the sound is very off-putting. I bought my 2010 Prius II as a CPO last year and never really thought much about the noise, only that it didn't sound very pretty.

However, I was recently sideswiped and was put in a 2013 Prius II and the liftgate closes with a solid thunk with no loose rattles. Any ideas what could be causing this squeaky/rattle sound? I thought it could be my license plate frame since rentals typically don't use frames, but it seems really unlikely.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! is it the license plate? or something loose inside the hatch door?

3. Jaywong

Jaywong New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Bisco,

Thank you for your response. It doesn't sound like something is loose in the door itself, and my old xB had a license plate metal to metal rattle. This is the overall quality of the door sounding very loose and rattle-y. I'm thinking it is the latch itself not absorbing the impact well.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you could be right, there may be a rubber bumper missing or something.

5. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is the license plate. I had the same issue. I put a rubber isolater behind the plate I got at the local parts house. Unfortunately it was a clearance item when I bought it. The rubber isolater was the size of the plate and it is about an 1/8 in thick. It fixed it.