1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LiveStream Video for Las Vegas Reveal - 9/8 @ 11:55 PM EDT

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tune in next week to the video below.

#1 Tideland Prius, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
    tgpii, Sergiospl, iplug and 3 others like this.
  2. Emcguy

Emcguy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I just posted that query today. I'll be getting up early in AUS!

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Midnight launch!

4. danoe

danoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The official news item at pressroom.toyota.com that contains the livestream link says this:
    "All-New 2016 Toyota Prius Sets the Stage Sept. 8 for the Next Generation of Hybrid
    September 01, 2015
    With a striking new look, enhanced driving dynamics and impressive fuel economy, the 2016 Prius will challenge what you know about hybrids. Tune in at 9 p.m. PDT, Tuesday, Sept. 8 to see the next era of an icon.
    "

My question is: what is it that "will challenge what you know about hybrids"? This sounds like something that must be revolutionary, not just mildly evolutionary.

The only thing I can think of is a major price drop, so masses of people will buy these cars even while gas prices are low. How about starting at, say, $18,000? Or less?

Any other answers to the Toyota marketing challenge?

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think a lot of people think hybrids are expensive, slow and boring to drive. I think 2016 Prius is about to challenge that belief.

danoe likes this.
  6. danoe

danoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would also like hybrids to be inexpensive, fast (though mine is fine now) and fun to drive (relatively low carbon footprint via technology IS fun).

Faster (not needed) or more fun (subjective) would not "challenge what you know about hybrids" to my mind.

Of these three factors, I think the big change would be if the 2016 turns out to be much less expensive for many more people. The big "challenge" or goal should be to displace dirtier vehicles with the 2016 Prius and the like.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they are probably targeting people who have never driven one. i doubt there will be any 'challenges' for most here.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can rule out a price drop. Toyota has made no secret of their plans to move the Prius H(atchback) upmarket - the only reason we have the Aqua/Prius C is to nail down the low end of the market, leaving the new Prius free to load up with more quality bits and not worry about having to provide an "economy" trim level.

That said, I'd hope market conditions, fuel prices, and economies from TNGA and EV drivetrain technical advances would mitigate against a major increase. Hopefully what we're going to see is an interior significantly upgraded from the early Gen2's weirdness and later models' cheap plastic, looking more like a quality mid-size sedan and less like a science project. Look closely at the spy shots from the cargo plane and you'll note that the dark gray car has what looks like interesting two-tone upholstery (that could just be protective wrap, of course). I'm ready for a nicer car, and hopeful that Toyota plans to deliver it. An interior that leaves visitors impressed rather than scratching their heads would probably qualify as defying "what you know about hybrids".

But for $18k? No way. You'd have to drop the wretched little C to Yaris pricing for that to make sense, and Toyota's in business to make money, not give it away to hybrid buyers.

Ursamajor likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well what is the Prius and hybrids known for? max mpg, basic interiors and roly poly handling (The supercars don't count. They're PHEVs).

Given what Jim Lentz said earlier, my guess is they're going upscale in the interior and improved handling. The Camry XSE V6 has been getting good reviews from journalists that normally look at a Camry and go "I have to review this?". (Oddly enough, those that reviewed the SE Hybrid said to get the LE or XLE Hybrid, stating the suspension is too stiff for not much better handling). Hopefully the Prius' driving dynamics are more favourable than "why did Toyota stiffen the suspension with negligible cornering improvements and poorer ride comfort". Fingers crossed.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe they are lowering the mpg's.

11. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The $US has risen quite a bit against the yen since the Gen 3 was introduced. They may have more flexibility on price for quality level than you expect.

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it is not going to be much less expensive... Scion iA which is 2 classes lesser vehicle with basic tech sells for $17.6k with AT. Prius is not going to be priced below Corolla... it might get some discount at or at worst it wont get price raised, but overall I doubt you will get some huge price slash compared to older model... Prius has way too much tech for it and it would be dissapointing if they made it lower tech so they can price it $1k less.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said sir.

Toyota could make a new Prius 'trim' that is way uplevel, but I do not think they have much room at all to bump up the base trim MSRP. With gas prices so low and the Prius still going to be a 'somewhat smaller' car and rumored to get near 150 total HP, Toyota would misstep in cranking a base trim gen4 up to near 26 grand.

Go ahead and make the Prius Five with 17" wheels and tons of bells and whistles and slap a price tag of over $34k on it, but bring in the basic Two model near $24, or $23k.

14. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, initially it was just a photo!

Taillight shaped like a "P" for Prius!

#14 Sergiospl, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    Tideland Prius and cmth like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good to me! The Prius finally has a cool nightime signature!

upload_2015-9-5_15-50-58.png

cmth and Sergiospl like this.
  16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With over 200 new car models in the U.S. market, it is difficult to design something that stands out from all these look alike models. So, I am ready for "EDGY"

17. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    My take is that generally good design stands out in a subtle way where the whole thing looks simple and logical.

Edgy stands out but generally in a bad way that gets worse with time.

I have my fingers crossed!

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that may be the best commercial toyota has ever done. did they get a new ad agency?

drash likes this.
  19. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah really! About time they went with a little "shock and awe".

Of course I've always felt their cars were better than than their commercials. Hopefully the opposite isn't true.

bisco likes this.
  20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So who is going to Vegas reveal besides Danny, Tony P, Tideland, Paradox .... and ???