1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

little car/with EV disappears

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Bill Collins, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Bill Collins

Bill Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lately i look at the dash and notice that the little car with the EV on it is gone ..Still have plenty of
    battery left.. last night right after unplugging and drove only one mile I see it disappear then several minutes later its back .. whats up with this??

2. Biking Maniac

Biking Maniac Five Prius – have not sold one yet!

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Is your heat on? Here in northern Wisconsin the engine runs about 10 months of the year for heat.

retired4999 likes this.
  3. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That little car with EV is the economy indicator.

4. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree...you probably had the climate control on and the engine had to start for heat.

5. uropip

uropip Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Really wish they had electric heat in these things.. at least while in EV mode. Although.. the heat does come quickly thanks to plumbing the coolant through the cat converter.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, when you don't need full range, it would be nice to have a bit of heat.

7. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Aren't electric heaters pretty inefficient though? I'd always heard that it's not that much more inefficient to just start the ICE than to use an electric heater (at least on a ICE as efficient as the Prius has).

8. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the reason Toyota decided to use ICE for heating is to reduce the load on the cold battery (which can be very cold in some areas).

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wear gloves. If you have the PiP, you probably have a garage. I have turned the heat on maybe 4 times total since I bought the Prius, all times because the girl occupant was cold. Windows up in the winter time even for longer drives is comfortable. I drive to ski resorts all the time. Here in the Colorado Rockies we get a bunch of snow and ice and very subfreezing temps.

10. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 13" leaf runs the ac backwards to create electric heat. The heat pump is probably more powerful than other strategies. I think the ultimate solution for an EV is a fossile fuel powered heater. It makes an EV non zero emissions but it is a great way to heat a small cabin. I think one of the EVs from the 90's had a little turbine heater that worked well.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The difference between this...
    [​IMG]

....and this...
    [​IMG]

...is indeed an indication of the engine running, most likely for heat. Though, the same thing happens while traveling faster than 62 mph.

The system switches from EV mode to EV-BOOST. That means you're still getting the benefit of extra electricity from the plug, but it's obviously going to be lower MPG than 999. Fortunately, it's quite a bit higher than what the non-plug efficiency can deliver during warm-up.

As for offering electric heat, that gobbles up electricity at such a fast rate, you'd be starting up the engine anyway. Between the capacity available and the increased resistance due to the cold, the penalty is too much. Also, keep in mind that heat-pumps don't work well in extreme low temperatures.

Lourun and bisco like this.
  12. shiranpuri

shiranpuri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well... efficient, effective, and waste don't necessarily go hand in hand, and it depends on what size picture you're looking at...
    For instance: for the purpose of warming you, the driver:
    • Electric heat (think space heater) would be warming the air, which would then warm you. It takes a lot of energy to heat up the entire cabin, even if it's "100% efficient" at converting the electricity to heat.
    • There's using electricity to move heat, rather than produce it, but regardless of how effective or not effective it might've been at cold temperatures, it's not in the production model, so that's moot.
    • Seat heaters would be warming you pretty close to directly, rather than indirectly via heating the entire cabin. There's a lot less you're trying to keep warm here, so that should be more effective.
    • Using heat from the engine would be warming the the entire cabin again, but - that heat would be there whether you use it or not. A lot of the energy in fuel is normally wasted as heat, much less actually goes towards moving the car.
    The pip's electric range is rather short, so unless you have a very short commute, eating into the battery to produce a substantial amount of heat (if the seat heaters aren't enough) would likely cut your ev range by quite a bit... making you more likely to need to run the engine for the rest of the way... So even if your objective is using less gas, you're still likely to use less gas by using gas for what it's better at (heat) and electricity at what it's better at (motion). Might as well use gas earlier (and use that otherwise wasted heat to keep you warm).

markabele and giora like this.
  13. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    So this all leads to another topic that we should all be doing when it's cold enough: Grill Blocking! :)

14. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The reason Toyota's including seat heaters with the PlugIns and EVs no matter what the seat material is stems from the logical fact that it's faster to warm your BODY than to try to warm the entire cabin.

15. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did some one say grill blocking time? OK! :D
    001 Grill Blocking.JPG

ElectronFlux likes this.
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That looks familiar. I blocked mine last Tuesday. It's time.

retired4999 likes this.
  17. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Think you'll block the top when it gets a bit colder?

18. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand the reason for no electric heating, but I do wish the PiP had a heated front windscreen, like my previous Ford Mondeo had (Fusion I think, in the US). Haven't had any other car with this, it was really useful both to clear condensation and melt ice enough for the wipers to work, and presumably used no more electricity than the rear window one.

19. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nope, keep the inverter cool!

20. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you saying this because the inverter gets more work in our PiPs? Or would you say that if you had a regular Prius, too?