1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

living out of my prius c

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by martinpwagner, Feb 18, 2014.

1. martinpwagner

martinpwagner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    So this thread isnt about judging or telling me I cant live out of my prius. I would simply like to know does anyone know if a 12 volt fridge plugged in eat the battery fast? And will it work even without a key in the ignition? Or would I need my valet key in it turned on especially when I am out and about?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! how many watts does it draw to turn on and how many to keep it running? you might need a small inverter connected to the 12v and you will definitely need to leave the car on so the hybrid battery can charge the 12 volt. all the best!(y)

3. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Looks like you have a trim 4 with SKS.

I guess what you can do is

1) turn on the engine
    2) hit open your driver side window all the way down
    3) get out of car and close door
    4) from outside reach into driver side and hit the lock (car will beep due to no key detected, but whatever, ignore it)
    5) after all doors are locked, hit the window button to close the window all the way (pull your arm out)
    6) when you want to go back into car, manually open car with key

go do whatever you want to do, while your car acts like a generator and cycles on and off to charge HV battery, which in turn keeps your fridge on...

be sure to turn off all unnecessary things before you leave (radio display, drl lights, ac/heat, etc...), I've sat in my car with all electronics off, in nice shady spots with nice cool breezy weather for quite a while before the HV even needs a recharge from the ICE

Although I would never want to purposefully leave my C on and unattended, good luck in your endeavors of life.

4. martinpwagner

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I really appreciate the replies!!!

whynter 85

That's the fridge / freezer I'm thinking of. It's power usage is 1 watt. But, it's not always running. They say it can go something like 60 hours on a regular car battery which is pretty good.

I have a valet key, which is what I'd probably use to keep the car on, but, with that 60 hours, I wouldn't even really need to do that. I'm just wondering if it detects the freezer and gives it power, even when the car is off?

5. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    One watt seems pretty low. The spec sheet says 5.5 amps at 12 vdc...that is 66 watts. That will drain the battery in a very few hours. You will need to leave the car in ready mode to avoid a dead battery.

6. otbiker

otbiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    How about on of the electric coolers? Those draw a lot less power. We used one when we were in between refrigerators...

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bear in mind that the Prius cars use a very small 12V battery so claims that they make for a standard size battery wouldn't necessarily apply.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    (1) Automotive starting batteries are not intended for that use. You will be lucky to get a dozen cycles of that before the battery must be replaced. Deep cycle batteries, typically used as housekeeping batteries in RVs, are far more suited for this.
    (2) The Prius 12V battery is half the size of a regular car battery, so will run half as long if beginning from a full charge.
    (3) The Prius 12V typically runs something closer to half charged, not fully charged.
    No, it does not. The ignition must be left at least in Accessory mode, which with a traditional car means key left in ignition. Those coolers are a big reason why, they drain and kill 12V car batteries very quickly.
    Same general concept, same problem.

9. Randy B

Randy B Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Martin, Good solution to ponder. I agree with most of the replies and add the following comments:
    1. The Prius [including PIP] is a great generator, especially for 1-3kw output requirements. Don't go above 1kw if you are using the 12v battery. Else get a high voltage inverter off the traction battery [Look up PRIUPS or ConVerdant.com for 2+kw solutions]
    2. When using the Prius as a generator [with inverter], connect the inverter with the car OFF, then leave the car ON and with all accessories OFF for inverter use. The engine will run start-stop to keep the battery full. You'll find the car will remain off for a time while the traction battery uses up its charge, then the engine starts/stops according to the needs of the battery. A gallon of gas produces about 7-8kwh, about double what you'd get from a mechanical generator. A Prius full tank will last 3-7 days [24hrs] for a 1kw inverter.
    This works for the home, camping, tailgates and worksites. Be aware of the power needs vs the inverter rating.

10. ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Would it make since to buy an AGM sealers battery to keep in the car to run the fridge? Could you just charge it each day with a small battery charger or solar panel? Just a thought...

11. mpw08200

mpw08200 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I will have to look at a AGM sealers battery.

12. Jim at Growing-Faith.org

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I live in my Prius C without a refrigerator. If you live in a city, you can grocery shop as needed. I do not buy ice, I just buy what I am going to eat. I find it to be the simplest way to deal with food.

13. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was thinking of living/camping/road tripping in my prius C. Any suggestions.

14. sph101

sph101 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've looked at the prices.. Ouch!

just the electric coolers are much cheaper
    Coleman - PowerChill™ 40 Quart Thermoelectric Cooler

We lived out of the car for 3 weeks traveling across the country, and you can get by just fine w/o fridge. This with camping and cooking on small gas stove.

16. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  17. Jim at Growing-Faith.org

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Take as few belongings with you as possible. It is a very small car when you live in it! I tried sleeping in the back seat, but it was much too short. then I tried sleeping behind the passenger seat with legs in the hatchback (closed). That was too short also. I now sleep behind the driver's seat with legs in the hatchback (closed). Being short it is barely long enough for me with the driver seat all the way forward and the seat folded all the way forward. I want to remove the passenger seat and build a bed over there, but I am concerned about air bag issues. Good luck!

18. Fishcrab

Fishcrab Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you thought about a cooler.....I mean one with ice, someone may have suggest that.
    I like European beer, even when it gets warmer I'm just being silly.

19. martinpwagner

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Jim growing faith

I was thinking about doing exactly what you mentioned. Air bag isn't a big deal, just 4 bolts, disconnect the connection under the seat, and twin bed it is. I will let you know how it works.

20. Jim at Growing-Faith.org

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK, awesome! I look forward to hearing about your results. This would be a huge upgrade for me! :)