1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Longevity - Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SamTDI, Jul 26, 2016.

1. SamTDI

SamTDI New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

Sorry if this is the incorrect place to post. Currently own a 2012 Passat TDI, will do the buyback in October, and I'm looking at a 2010-1013 Prius. Should be able to pick up a sub 40k model 2 for $11k-13k if I pay cash. It would almost certainly involve a one way plane ticket, but I'm not too concerned about that. Would like to drive it until the Model 3 comes into my price range.

Driving Style
    I drive approximately 35,000 miles per year - work, road trips, etc, which is why I got a TDI in the first place. Approximately 80% highway miles, so engine will be in use frequently.

Concerns
    It seems like total discharges/charges and time are the main drivers of battery wear, so given my driving style and how quickly ill rack up highway miles, I'm not as concerned with the battery as I am with the reports of excessive oil consumption. I've spent hours reading everything I can about the dreaded oil consumption many people are dealing with, and it has me a little worried.

Questions
    Is this something I should really be concerned with? Is there any data on how many engines this affects out of the total third gen Prii on the road? Or am I worrying needlessly? I know salvage engines are available for very little money, but should I really plan on replacing the engine when it hits 300k?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! most of the problems are 2010's. no one knows why or has any data to help you. if you plan on racking up 300+ before buying a model 3, you should plan on a decent amount of repairs. all the best!(y)

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good questions. I don't know the answers, and suspect nobody does, except possibly a few people who work for Toyota and aren't talking. Some allegedly well maintained Prii show that fault at shockingly low mileage, and some don't. Mine does not, so far (with under 62K miles).

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what vehicle you buy where the idea of possibly replacing the engine around the 300K mark doesn't become a pretty tangible reality.

Prius have the reputation of being a Toyota, that is well built and reliable. And I believe they are. BUT....everything once in the high mileage range, becomes suspect and needs repair. Including Prius.

Unless you are driving Stephen Kings "Christine"....nothing is going to sit in the garage and repair itself.

As far as fears of oil consumption?
    Some people have reported it.
    I have a 2013 with less than 40,000 miles on it, and not an issue yet.
    I would hardly define the "possibility" of it becoming an issue inevitable.
    And I think if it does, in any range about 100,000 miles. you're just dealing with the natural degradation of a working engine.

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a 2010 II with 136 k on the clock. Uses about 1 quart every 6,500 miles. IMO, that is not bad or worrisome. Just check the dipstick regularly and stay ahead of it. No other issues. There are plenty of maintenance items to do but most are easy DIY and plenty of tutorials on here to show you how to do it. I log about 25 k per year and most is due to a 40 mile one way commute. 90% of my driving is highway (maybe even higher).

I found most oil consumption to be when I am going at high rates of speed (80 mph+ for sustained periods of time). After doing that I check the oil level more frequently. Still get 44 mpg when averaging that speed is fantastic!

As has been mentioned by others, every car has issues particularly as the miles and time add up. There are much less moving parts on the Gen 3 Prius so one could argue you are in a better position with less to go wrong, but what could go wrong is more costly. I bought mine with the thought of it will be a commuter and needs to be reliable and good on gas. It's a Toyota and has been very reliable so far and have averaged 48 mpg. The wife's car is a 98 4Runner has 254k on the clock and just keeps running. Hard to beat Toyota reliability. But my family was a dodge family, so I have seen the other side.......

lar.smith42 likes this.
  6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2010 just turned 100k this afternoon :) and have had no discernible oil consumption (as in - NONE.) I perform my DIY oil changes every 7500-9500 miles (weather permitting. - ;)). There seems to be quite a few folks on here that claim to have excessive oil consumption, so I guess it's all in the "luck of the draw." As always, YMMV.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or in the driving and maintenance. who knows?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree that driving style has a lot to do with oil consumption (at least in my case). Did not have or notice any oil consumption when I was driving 65 mph or slower. But moved to CA and everyone drives 75 on the freeway ( and there are lack of other roads to travel).

Figure low oil consumption and staying with traffic is not a bad trade off rather than being road pizza or the reason for road rage......

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, i was driving in northern cal a few years ago.:eek: i can actually do 55 in the right or second to right lane around here, without getting run off the road too often.

mmmodem and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I miss those days. My Prius started out in VA where most driving was side roads with the occasional trip to see family in north east PA. Drivers there were more laid back.

Then moved to KS where the driving was interstate at high rates, but was able to get 60 mpg on one tank! CA has just terrible drivers. Every day to work I am cut off at least three times so the car can get one car ahead. Not to mention the "lane splitting" motorcycles.

It's amazing how few accidents there are out here given the driving habits that exist. But the weather's nice most of the year, so I'll take what I can get. The shoveling and driving in snow is something I don't miss

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hear ya, it's on my short list as well.(y)

12. Prius Jeff

Prius Jeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Getting oil changed for my wife's 2007 Prius. Technician reported the oil was gone, and we were 500 miles until due for a change. I'm hoping this is a slow consumption issue and not a leak. We're at 189k miles and never had this issue before the previous oil change. We were getting the "problem" warning when turning. Looking at the Prius chat I'm seeing multiple threads with similar symptoms. The resolutions seem to be get a new engine. Hopefully we can just keep topping the oil off until at least 250... although jarring a tapping sound now.

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The tapping sound isn't a big deal, my car ran 50000 miles with the tapping sound without much issue. Just keep topping off the oil.

Sooner or later your catalytic converter will go, so prepare for that repair

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Direct response to oil consumption. Okay my roommate has a 2011 with 100k, it uses oil about 1.5 qts per 5 thousand miles. I've owned two 2012 Prii and both consumed none! My 2012 has 102k and doesn't use any oil. I believe Toyota must have done something in the 2012 and up engines. My fist 2012 with 60 didn't use any either. I would avoid 2010 and 2011 especially if on the highway all day

15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your sister ever get her Prius sorted out?

16. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    She is saving up money to buy the engine. She might be needed to buy a SUV soon, but she still doesn't want to sale it as is. Poor thing!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 with 103k, and no visible oil consumption.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just keep an eye out for the invisible oil consumption every so often before the light on the dash lets you know;).

19. Chjara

Chjara New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2011 prius has 118,xxx and has been well maintained. I burn about a quart of mobil 1 every 500 miles. I'm actively looking to get rid of this thing before the oil consumption causes something else to fail.

The oil consumption problem is real. I used to love this car. Toyota has an excellent reputation for quality and longevity. My advice - steer clear of the prius. As a current prius owner that's the only advice I have.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unless you're going to dump it before 100k?