1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking @ 2007 with higher mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kristen, Oct 3, 2012.

1. kristen

kristen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,
    I've been eyeing a 2007 Prius to replace my failing 1999 Saturn. The price is right considering the mileage but it has 135,000 miles. It had one owner-a livery company. Carfax shows it's had regular maintenance & only issue was a failed emissions test in 2011, but I believe it has a current sticker so must have passed since then. If not they said they will not sell it unless it will pass.

I commute 50 miles a day. I'd be making payments for 3.5 yrs.

considering its mileage am I being foolish or is it truly very feasible I can get upwards of 200k if I continue regular maintenance?

Thanks for any advice.
    Kristen

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What state are you in? If you're in CA or a CARB state (and the vehicle was purchased, operated and registered there), IIRC, the emissions warranty should be 15 years/150K miles. If not, it's MUCH shorter.

Re: the emissions test, heh. Heck, in CA, AFAIK, hybrids are exempt from our smog test, for now. :) (Hybrid-Electric Vehicles Exempted From Initial Smog Check) I know I didn't need to have it done when I brought my Prius back to CA from WA. My car was originally bought in CA but I had to move to WA for work....

I'd previously brought back non-hybrid cars from WA to CA and had to get them smog tested in CA before I could register them in CA.

kristen likes this.
  3. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The age of the battery matters more than the mileage. Most engines are grenade-proof, particularly Toyota and Honda motors. I'd be concerned about the transmission - was the fluid changed regularly, that sort of thing. If properly maintained, expect the transmission to last another 100k.
    As with all things older and worn, expect maintenance and repair/replacement. If you live in an area that requires a/c, assume the a/c was running every mile the car was running, which also means the a/c components are more likely to require repair.
    Winter is a good time to buy a Prius. If you hold off your purchase, the sales price may come down. ;)

kristen likes this.
  4. kristen

kristen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in MA. Are repairs for the Prius more expensive? Is it harder to find a mechanic?

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    MA is a CARB emissions state. I don't know what year it started though.

You might want to check the warranty booklet to see if it mentions MA under the 10 year (120 month)/150K mile HV battery warranty. If yes, you should consider vehicles that were purchased, registered and operated in MA or other CARB states to get the benefit of that longer warranty.

6. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    4 sure. That one even has bluetooth.

8. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its about 15 minutes away from me if you want me to check it out for you :D

I dont know where the OP lives, but dont be askin' me to drive no car cross country for ya...lol

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hear ya. I'm very happy with my 06 but that is a seriously good deal.

10. kristen

kristen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be a bit too far away for me! :)
    The one I've been looking at seems to have most of the cool extras like bluetooth, 5 disc changer, etc.

It's priced at $9,995, but the did drop it. We ran the 12 v battery test and that will need replacing so gonna run that by them too. It also needs an alignment and the tires checked as that yellow icon was lit up. Tire wear is ok..should last another 12-18 months, but I have a 50 mile daily commute so perhaps a bit sooner.

11. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Kristen, where do you live?

12. kristen

kristen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Boston area.

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    A Prius likes a long commute and will thrive in that usage. The Livery company also used it for long drives, so it will not have had the harder life that urban driving would cause. My 2004 Prius has given me great service in mostly highway driving.

There are independent hybrid repair shops in the Boston area:
    Preferred Independent Hybrid Car Repair and Service Shops | Hybrid Cars
    But you will need to do your research to get reviews of their service.

JeffD

kristen likes this.
  14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do agree that the Prius likes long commutes. If you drive the Prius 50 miles instead of 15, your MPG will probably be higher in the long run unless you are driving at very fast highway speeds. When I say very fast, I am referring to above 70 MPH. If you are driving around town and keep your speed in the 35 area and drive that 50 miles, your mileage will be excellent if you utilize "pulse and glide". When I say excellent, I am stating that the mileage should be well above the EPA estimate which is 48 City for the Gen 2 Prius. If you just drive the car like any other car, your mileage will probably be around 45 to 48. Remember YMMV.

Don't be afraid of the Prius. It is a good car, just remember to keep it maintained and it should last a long time. I am not saying you won't have to repair it from time to time. All cars have to be repaired occasionally.

Good luck to you Kristen and welcome to Prius Chat.

Ron

kristen and PriusGuy32 like this.
  15. Erik Aalto

Erik Aalto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Came into talk about the long commutes and gas mileage.

My Prius was built in 09/07, and currently sits at 129,200 miles. I drive it on back country roads to work, and avoid highways if possible. When on the highway, I tend to cruise at 66 MPH. MPG today was 55.2. It has been the single most reliable car I have ever owned, and I loved it so much that I bought another one.

kristen and PriusGuy32 like this.
  16. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would say pass. The exposure is simply too high at that mileage, especially since fleets are not always great about basic maintenance.

At best, you only have about 15k of battery warranty left.

iPhone ?