1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking at Prius for the first time.

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Raelou, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Raelou

Raelou New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are a family of 4 with two adult sized teenagers and 2 dogs (one large). We are downsizing from a loaded expedition. I am questioning the v 3 or 5. Not sure how I feel about the seating materials. I'd love to have the sunroof though. Any incite on the 2 trim levels and comfort for adults in the back seat appreciated.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The five will have 3 door sks, the driver,passemher, and hatch doors will unlock if the fob is nearby, very nice. The Three will only do so with the drivers door, mot as nice. Read the chapter on customizations with the sales giy, and make getting your customixations a condition of sale.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat! You've come to the very best place to have all your questions answered, and to learn all you'll ever need to know about Prii. I have a Gen II, and I realize that this might not answer your question, but I can say that friends who have ridden in the back of mine, have been mightily impressed by the head-room, and the incredible amount of useful space when the rear seats are folded flat (so easy to do - takes all of 10 secs at most). I can carry more stuff in my Prius than I could in my previous Toyota (1993 Corolla DX Wagon) - Good luck! …and I think you'll be happy with any Prius you buy! - Wil

#3 WilDavis, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Well I don't want to "incite" any problems, but my "insight" would suggest the back seats are excellent in the Prius v, lots of room with a sliding and reclining mechanism (like the front except the backs are 2 wide and 1 wide). If I had dogs I would probably buy seat covers but the factory covers can be replaced pretty easily and are on ebay. So you could just replace them if they were ripped. I would scotchguard or similar to avoid most stains. You can also fold the back seats forward for an almost flat surface as well as folding the front passenger all the way back. Just go down to the dealer and look at these features.

Concerning the v5 for three door keyfree opening, I just set my v3 to open all 5 doors with the driver's keyfree mode or use the remote to open all doors. (With the car off, Press and Hold "Lock" and "Unlock" keyfob for 5 seconds to change the keyfree mode). I would consider the better navigation you can get on a v5 IF you really needed the best, although the middle range navigation of the v3 gets the job done.

#4 rjparker, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …the SKS on my Gen II is configurable for all combos. ;)

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Rear seating for adults in our v Five is more comfortable than our old Grand Caravan with Captain's Chairs.

7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2 kids are 6'5" 300 and 6'6" 170 and they fit in the back of the v with the front seats back as far as they will go.

I bought a three and had the Softex armrests and seat-covers added as dealer installed (they farmed it out to an auto upholstery shop but the kit they used has a Toyota part number). Fives weren't available when I was buying.

Weathertech "rubber" mats for the rear luggage compartment would be good for the dogs. Add a bit of sound reduction too.

I can't say that the car is more comfortable than a Grand Caravan. Nor is it going to have the cargo capacity one of those monsters had. But then it probably won't need the transmission and engine replacements my Grand Caravan needed either.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen many full sized sedans with less leg room in the back than the v has. Its an impressively roomy back seat.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Downsizing from an Expedition to a Prius is going to be quite a change. Are you sure that's necessary? I see you live in Las Vegas and the city is not all that big, what type of mileage do you put on your cars?

I like the idea of having a Prius but in your case, with 2 GROWING teens and 2 dogs, you might need a bigger car. Even if you bought a small SUV (Rav4 or CRV), that would be downsizing quite a big in mpg. And being in Vegas, I don't really know how much driving you can do in that city (unless you are a traveling salesperson)

Raelou likes this.
  10. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ditto the "Welcome to Prius-chat"!
    I bought the Standard Prius, with the option pack 3, for the sun roof! My wife loves the sun roof, and had to have it! The solar powered vent is nice too as it does bring in cool air to the car while it is parked outside. As far as the sunroof itself, its better than most these days as the last two cars we had, had pop up wind deflectors that would rise, as you fully open the sun roof. On our 2013 Dodge Dart, the pop up wind deflector was like a 3" high black metal screen on a metal frame, and sure enough, it did catch LOTS of bugs! (Splat!) On our 2010 Honda Accord, it was this plastic castle roof looking thing, but both wind deflectors were designed to stop that "helicopter concussion" sound you can get inside the car from wind turbulence. The nice thing about the Toy wind deflector, is it is smooth, it slant rises up before the sun roof, and it does not catch bugs, or sound like a screen or plastic castle roof sticking straight up into the wind. My wife drives everywhere with it open, and loves it, and I do not miss all the complaints about the other sun roof's we had that were "buggy and noisy". (She does have to close it to talk on the hands free phone).

As far as the Toy Nav that you get with the 3 or 5,, well,, it works---> OK,, and it will get you there, but its no Garmin. I wish Toy would let you get the sun roof, without the Nav as I have bought a portable Garmin to use, in place of our Toy Nav, as I no longer trust the Toy nav for the "best" directions. You can see my thread as to why, here:

2014 Toyota Nav, who is it made by? Any updates? | PriusChat

I have not done any long distance driving comparisons between the Toy Nav, and the Garmin I bought to replace it yet, but I had Garmin in the Dodge Dart, and it was really good, (Best nav I ever had), until the car had multiple computer problems. I am 6'2" and my wife is 5"8" but she LOVES to sit way forward, near on top of the steering wheel. Any option pack above the 3 added electric power drivers seat, and I cant stand power seats. They take way to long to motor the seat from my wifes favored position, to fully back, where I need it, where the manual seat is grab the bar, slide it back, & sit down out of the rain!(y) Good luck deciding on 3 Vs. 5. Prius is the best MPG we have ever seen in a car!

Raelou likes this.
  11. Raelou

Raelou New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We actually drive quite a bit for all of the activities that my kids participate in. More back and forth several times a week. We also drive to Phoenix often to visit family. My expedition is 5 years old and we have a had few heavier repairs and even though we have the extended warranty I am concerned about the long term performance. My husband also drives a big truck so be always have that for any big hauling needs. I'm ready to save some money at the pump gas is crazy expensive.

12. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    In LV, after break-in and a learning curve you can expect to see 45 MPG easily if you stay off the freeway. Just be aware that driving a hybrid is very different from anything else and there's an adjustment period. I switched from a Tacoma 4x4 double cab and don't miss it at all. Neither do my 2 dogs, since now they get to drool on my shoulder instead of riding in the back of a PU.

So you will need to do a lot of adjusting, but when you leave the gas station you'll have a BIG smile. Resist the temptation to buy an extended warranty. The only time you'll see the inside of a repair shop is for scheduled maintenance.

Raelou likes this.
  13. Raelou

Raelou New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We made an appointment tomorrow for a long test drive so we can really make sure it will fit our needs. Then I guess we will sit down ane negotiate the pricing. I still need to figure out what features I really want. How does the cloth hold up over time? I don't need all of the stuff that comes with the 5 but I am concerned about the upholstery.

14. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If the "bells and whistles" that the 5 series offers is something as you say " I don't need all of the stuff that comes with the 5"
    then the 3 series is the choice and investigating the upholstery upgrades that may meet your needs with your dogs..

We personally liked the upgrades that the 5 series offered...

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Whem you yalk to sales, have two copis of a paper that says that one time user customizations is included in the sale.

Especially on the Two.

16. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On the v Five, there is the generic and the Advanced Technology Package, which adds $$$$ thousands more and has all the radar and upgraded gee-gaws. I would have enjoyed the panoramic roof, but it wasn't worth the dollars or complexity of the ATP package.

17. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The Softex is a BIG plus with dogs and teenagers in the car. Everything just washes right off. Personally I think the ATP is a fair deal considering all that comes with it. The stereo is a considerable improvement, 7" HD screen, all the technology for speed control and parking, and of course the moon roof. I was resistant to the radar controlled cruise control at first, but now I use it all the time. The $5K extra is a big bite, but seems less so the longer you use it.

Oh, and good luck with the "negotiating" price part. :giggle:

18. Raelou

Raelou New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never purchased a hybrid or Toyota for that matter, what should I expect for pricing? Online it appears there are several incentives and usually I can negotiate a bit on that.

19. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I can imagine, but then I enjoy actively participating in the driving.... ;-)

WilDavis likes this.
  20. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    A Prius-v Five with ATP is rare enough for dealers to just say no to haggling. I think you can still get 0% financing on it, which is worth more than several thousand off the price. A regular Five is a lot easier to get. If you get an on-line price quote, expect to get about that and nothing more. You should also be getting 2 years of free maintenance, and 1 year of free SOS emergency coverage (with the ATP package).