1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for HALF of a Dash Cover (reg. covers are too big!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Ailu, May 25, 2008.

1. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been looking all over, and after exhausting all searches, realized that perhaps my fellow Prius Groupies might have an answer for me.

All the dash covers we've been seeing are just too big for our liking. They extend up and over the dash like a waterfall. (I know they are designed like this to protect the dash - but we're just looking for something unobtrusive that will help cut down on the glare.)

So, we're trying to find a dash mat that covers just the long flat wide grey section at the top of the dash - starting ABOVE the section where the Power button is located and right above where the top glove box is hinged - and extending to the speedometer area and up to the front window edge.

Is there anyone that makes a dash cover like this? Thanks much for any help you can provide!

2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Long Toyota In El Monte Calif has them in the parts dept.

3. Raider

Raider New Member

I got this dash cover from eBay last year. I think this is what you want?

(I don't have any pictures of just the dash cover without my homemade nav shade but this cover also extends into the pocket windows where typically they do not.)

I think the total shipped price was between $25 and $30.

Attached Files:

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes. I have one. I think it's by Dash Designs. Mine doesn't flop down over the power button or glove box; it only rests on top. I also have Priushoods plastic MFD screen hood.

5. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, that picture shows exactly what we are looking for. Would you have any record of who the seller was? I saw a lot of dash covers on ebay, but not any of them were like the one in your picture.

6. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'll have to call them, as they don't provide any pictures on their site, so as to tell how it fits. Thanks for the tip!

7. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmm, thanks. That's quite a drive for me, though. Do you know what brand it was?

8. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Call and ask. You can ask to ship it to so you dont have to drive. Gosh! Do you want me to call and leave it on your voicemail?

9. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This whole "Dash Cover" is new to me (Yes, it appears I have led a sheltered life these past 60+ years.)

I got my windows tinted and ordered the window guards. My problem is that huge dash. In my Barcelona Red 2008, black dash, it gets so hot I can't lay my hand on it. Right now I throw a white towel over it while parked and it does keep it much cooler.

But, as soon as I start driving, without the towel, it starts to heat up even with the AC running. Pretty soon it is too hot to touch.

Do these Dash Covers help keeping the dashboard cool? Seems like it could help the MPGs if it works. If it does help I may need to start looking around.

I sure would like to see one, or pictures of one, in the Prius. The way it fits around the opening for the speedometer area especially.

Thanks,
    Bob

10. eclipse3g

eclipse3g Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Is there a part # or a good description we can reference when calling them?

11. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Man you aren't kidding. We had a couple 100 degree days here and the car took 15 minutes of freeway driving to cool off. I never thought of using a dash carpet to help but it makes sense.
    Just keep in mind that any color but dark or black will cause a horrible reflection in the window. That dark color will also be a heat magnet.

12. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    While the car generally cooled off, did the dash itself ever really cool off?

I have started out on a trip with a "cool" dash. The sun was high and I headed for the turnpike. Within 20-30 minutes the dash was so hot it was uncomfortable to lay my hand on. This was probably true on other cars but the dash was smaller and had less effect. At any rate, this dash heating has to have a large effect, requiring additional AC to counteract it and thus affecting the MPG.

I understand about the colors. But still it seems that a fabric would absorb and hold less heat than a smooth surface. I know the white towel helps when parked. Maybe I'll try a dark blue one and see what that does. Do dark, cloth seats and carpeting get as hot as the dash?

If I figure out something I'll let you know. I have a long trip in a couple of days that will give me a chance to try a few things.

Bob

13. Raider

Raider New Member

Every black part of the dash gets darn hot but carpet is definately cooler than not covererd. When I park, I also use Tyvek jumbo shades. The regular material eventually developes wear holes around the rim, where you typically grab the shade. I haven't torn a hole through the Tyvek material yet. It even fits without having to flip down the sun visors to hold it in place.

I had a DashMat brand that also covered the start button dash panel and the upper glove box and covered the NAV but it fit very poorly. I bought it from AutoAnything since there was another posting about dash coverings and a link.

Instead of returning it, and possibly getting only half my money back after paying for another shipping charge, I gave it to another family Prius.

I only wished it fit better for my car.

14. strieby

strieby Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dashtopper has one. It covers from the window forward to the beginning of the glove box & Nav screen. I have one and it fits great. Here is the link: Dashtopper.com - The World's Finest Dashboard cover

15. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow, that's great. Do you have a pic you could share? As there are no pics on the Dashtopper site to show what it looks like.

Also, does anyone have any advice as to the pros and cons of each fabric, velour, suede, or carpet?

16. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I guess I have the same questions as "Ailu". Sure would like to see a picture of one installed in a Prius. And the fabric: other than carpet I have no idea what those choices really are. I'm not really sure about that.

I want to make sure it isn't too thick and lays down flat. And how it is held in place so it doesn't slide around.

Maybe I'll send them an e-mail and see what they say...

Bob

17. strieby

strieby Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here they are:

Attached Files:

18. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Strieby
    Where did you get your wood? I want, I want -- love it!!! Also, what color dash topper did you get, it looks lighter than the black dash? Is it the velour, carpet or suede?
    Thanks
    Fernsmom

19. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Is this a great time to live or what? Ask for pictures and less than an hour later there they are for the whole world to see.

Thank you so much. (Great looking car, too. Love the color)

Just for reference, what is the color of your cover. The swatches on the site were hard to tell. It looks light. Any reflection problems while driving?

What is the material you chose? How is it held in place or does it just naturally stay in place without sliding around?

Sorry to be so nosy but you really got me excited with this one.

Thanks again for the pictures,
    Bob

20. strieby

strieby Priusman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is Sedona Suede...color is grey. Is is a medium grey no glare..held in place via velcro strips. The web site has a close up version in tan.