1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for Running Boards or step for Prius v (lowercase v)

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by CarltonR, Oct 21, 2014.

1. CarltonR

CarltonR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My wife is disabled and needs a running board or step that she can use to enter and exit the car. Does anyone have an idea about what's available?

2. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Is she going to need this before/after driving alone or is she always going to be with someone?
    How much weight will it have to hold?
    What kind of terrain would/could it have to rest on?
    Is this permanent or temporary?

When my wife had her knee replaced, we chose the car that had the most height friendly and knee swinging access. IIRC, it was the v rather than the Avalon. We practiced beforehand.

Temporary and unaccompanied? A wide plastic step stool from a kitchen store (used to access high cabinets) to which a cord is attached so that it can be pulled into the car once she is in and left on the seat or floor with the cord on the seat for easy deployment once the door is open.

Accompanied? I made some steps out of scrap 2 by 12 lumber abandoned at a construction site for my kids to look out our house windows at construction machines when they were little. Sturdy, heavy, cheap. In the trunk, you get it out and positioned.

Permanent and unaccompanied? I can't imagine anything attached to the car that would automatically deploy and not interfere with the door opening. There are places that modify cars/vans with seats that rotate out and down but those aren't what you describe as wanting and they are $$. There are even cars (mostly vans) that have step-in heights that are especially disability friendly. (I googled "handicapped car access" and saw nothing but wheelchair conversions, nothing like a running board/step.)

I once drove 600 miles with the front seat removed to allow easy access and seating for someone sitting in the back of a 4-door VW station wagon from the '70s.

Good luck.

tanasit likes this.
  3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Have you asked the dealer ?
    Or a company that does handicapped van conversions ??