1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for someone to install a dedicated charger socket

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Max Lent, May 30, 2014.

1. Max Lent

Max Lent New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I live in Rochester, NY and I am looking for an electrician to install a dedicated wall socket for the Prius charger. My charger keeps tripping the current circuit breaker.

Are there other PIP users in Rochester, NY on this forum?

Thanks,

Max

2. cheallen

cheallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Jameson Electronics in Rochester had the contract to install Toyota brand chargers in WNY. They came all the way to Buffalo to install ours which has worked fine for 2+ years now.

3. Max Lent

Max Lent New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you.

Are you happy that you installed a dedicated wall charger?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course, why wouldn't anyone be happy if there circuit breaker kept popping? do it right, do it once. and while you at it, wire it for level II in case you ever decide to upgrade.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fwiw, any electrician can do this.

6. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Any electrician can put in a dedicated outlet, the vehicle doesn't change anything. If you put in a dedicated outlet, have you considered going to level II while you're at it?

7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I've always been a DIY guy, if possible. I installed my Level 2 charger at home along with a dedicated 220v line. I also installed a dedicated 220v line and receptable at work (property owner). I have no specialized electrical training, but have some experience. I researched what I needed and "how to" on the internet. With the savings, minus cost of materials, for my two dedicated lines, it paid for my Leviton Level 2 charger. I wouldn't recommend a self install unless someone is comfortable, along with some previous experience. Clint Eastwood said it best in one of his "Dirty Harry" movies. "a man has to know his limitations".