1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to Buy a Used Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by GreenMama13, Jul 16, 2014.

1. GreenMama13

GreenMama13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! We just sold our explorer and are so excited to buy a used Prius. It is rumored that Prius is coming out with an AWD Prius in 2016 so we are saving $ to buy new. That being said, we are looking to purchase a solid used Prius until we save enough for the new (so last us 3 ish years).

I'm looking at private sellers to get the most car for our $. I found a 2008 (fully loaded w leather, nav, etc) for $12,000 with 70k miles. Retired couple is selling, nice people, all regular maintenance done. How prepared do we need to be to replace the battery at 100K? Are 2008s notorious for anything? Should I order a carfax or just bring it to a mechanic?

There is also a 2005 (leather) for $8,900 with 45K miles. A college grad moving who is looking to sell quick (she said KBB was $12K). Carfax and mechanic as well?

Both are in FL and we will be driving 10 hours to check them out and purchase. We live in Nola and can't find any good deals in area under $13 price range.... Although...

I did place an ad in Craigslist that we were looking and was contacted by a guy needing to sell his 2010. He's getting a divorce, cars in his name and wants it sold before the divorce. I feel bad getting in the middle of that situation but we were going to get an amazing deal on the car (2010, 52K miles, cloth interior for 13K) and he is local.

Advice PLEASE. Is the 2005 too good to be true? Go with the 08 or 10?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find lots Prius cars from 2004 and 2005 with rolled back odometers. The salvaged ones are all low mileage for some strange reason.

If it's too good to be true, then it probably is. Prius is a commuter car, should have a reasonable mileage based on the age of the owner. Retired old seniors have a reason for a low mileage car, not so much a young person.

Just my 2 cents

3. GreenMama13

GreenMama13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! Any insight is appreciated!

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The 2008 is notorious for being a great car. The warranty on the traction battery is for 8 years/100000 miles or 10 years/150000 miles depending on the state.

2006-2009 model year cars are virtually identical. A Touring version was available 2007-2009. The 2005 will have a lower res display.

Check out every used car of interest. The mileage on the 2005 is suspect.

The 2010 is a II or a III. It's a little bigger & a bit more efficient. It will contain fewer "bells & whistles" than the 2008. Look at the 2010 first. For $1000 more you are getting more of the warranty. How important are the following things: nav, being able to open all the doors from the hatch or passenger side, back up camera, leather seat?

The 2008 has High Intensity Discharge headlights that did have some problems & are expensive to replace. The 2010 does not.

Get the VINs & register them at Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More to get the dealer service records.

I loved my 2006, best car I ever owned so the 2010 had a lot to live up to. Now, you can have my 2010 when you can pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Don't bet money on an AWD Prius in 2016.

5. GreenMama13

GreenMama13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you SO much for all of the info. We've been test driving like crazy. My husband LOVES the 2010. I found 2 that I LOVE... 2010 Prius 4, fully loaded (so in LOVE with the solar roof).... One has 80k asking $16.5 and one has 61,600 asking $16,991... Both white. Fair prices? They seem a little high for a 2010 with over 50k miles....?

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A Four-Solar new would have been right up there with a Five-AT. When looking at the top end of the lineup you won't find cheap. This wasn't the most popular combination so don't expect much of a selection. White paint was extra so that's bumping the price up a bit.

The dark roof over the white body does make for an attractive car. It's not silver, but still a nice car. (Charter member of the Silver Squadron;))

If you are a AAA member use their car buying service. If not, go to truecar.com.

There's one in NYC: 47000 miles for $18980 on truecar.com & two Four-Nav in your price range.

Now that you have your heart set on a Four-Solar don't let a good car slip through your fingers over a couple of dollars. If it is a fair price for your area, buy it. Some of us paid a bit more than we wanted or didn't get exactly what we were looking for. Those early unpleasant feelings fade and are replaced with the joy of 50mpg, & lower maintenance costs.

As with any used car, make sure it is sound. Get two fobs & the tonneau cover. The 4 floor mats & deck mat were accessories so if they are thrown in, even better. Make sure everything works.

The seat warmers are nice on chilly days. More efficient to heat your torso than the entire cabin.

How old is the 12v battery? Were the tires replaced? Was the tranny fluid or coolant changed?

7. GreenMama13

GreenMama13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are looking to purchase our first Prius. We are looking in the 15k - 18k range. We would like to keep this car until it konks out so really would like to get all the features we like. Would y'all recommend buying a 2010 with only 33k miles but cloth interior or a 2010 fully loaded with leather but 66k miles????? Both cars are listed for 17k. And the cloth one is toyota certified while the other is at a nissian dealership.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I prefer the cloth seats, it's cooler to touch on a hot day. Also the one with 33k miles most likely is a lease return, should be a better cared for car. If the equipment suits your family style then go for the cloth with fewer miles and extra certified warranty

9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought "ChuggyPig" (Gen II, Touring package) 88k miles) back in Jan 2014 from the local Toyota dealer for ~$13k, and got the extended warranty (5 years/60K miles). I love this car, and at the most recent fill-up, I got 60+ mpg (1st time over 60 for me - usually 50-55) - I think either car would be a good choice for you. Do you have anything to trade? Toyota has a great reputation for long service and reliability (my previous Toyota (Corolla DX Wagon), purchased new in 1993, failed the state-inspection (after 21 years and 292,000 miles of starting first time every time and returning 35-43mpg). Wait and see what other folk here recommend! Welcome to PriusChat - you've certainly come to the right place for information and great advice!

10. jejb

jejb Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Both prices seem a bit high to me. We bought a 2012 v3 1.5 months ago for about $19k with 34k on it. Perfect condition, clean carfax. We also considered a 2010 5 level HB with more miles and Certified Toyota, but the less miles, newer and more room won out in the end. Maybe try to negotiate the prices down some more?

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd probably try to haggle the cloth one down a little....unless you're going to keep punching out crumb-snatchers, in which case the one with the pleather seats might be more kid-friendly.
    You may want to consider widening your search area....especially if you live in the Gulf South.

To answer your question...no.
    If you're going to keep the car until it goes to the bone-yard, then 66K miles for a G3 is in no way too many miles.
    Find out what real benefits the dealer's CPO program offers (they vary) and insist on seeing maintenance/repair records. I'd also insist on a Carfax and AutoCheck report.
    If you're at a dealership, their used car department will often have a subscription to these services. If they don't? They're morons, and I would not buy cars from them.
    If they do? it costs them NOTHING to show you the report that they already have on this car, and if they didn't bother to run a report on the car?
    They're morons or they're hiding something.

Walk away.

They already made from 1,000-3,000 bucks off of the poor sap that traded the car in.
    Don't give them all of your money too. ;)

Good Luck!

12. Hamilton

Hamilton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 05 Prius for sale with 78k miles. It's in my local Craigslist in Fort Myers/SW Florida. I've had it for about 2 years. Bought it with 30k miles. Commute about 60 highway miles a day to work. Its at least a Trim 3 if not 4. Has HID lights, navigation, auto-dimming mirror, keyless start, proximity sensory for opening doors, JBL 6 cd stereo. fog lights. Great shape. Clean inside and out. Take a look online. Always been a FL car. I got rear ended at a stop light about a year ago. Not very hard maybe 10-15mph, but the rear bumper and hatch needed to be replaced. Car is fragile to protect us. But besides that its in excellent condition. Asking $9500. Selling it because I just bought me a 2013 Black Persona Series Prius. YAY!

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what can you make for your best deal on a new one? if i could get a '14 when the '15's come out for 20-21k, i would try to stretch my budget. that's a car you can take care of for 250k miles.

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    CPO with cloth is a much better deal. You can add really nice leather seat covers if you desire.

15. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It sounds like you have lots of options. Here's my biased opinion

All of them are good. I like Hamilton's 05 and the 08 the best.

I'm biased to the Gen II though.

16. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to PRIUSchat!!(y)
    Have you decided on one yet!!:)
    Look for dents and dings; check out book value and carfax for history.

17. GreenMama13

GreenMama13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We negotiated a heck of a deal... We got a 2012 Prius III with 22,300 miles for $16,500 from a dealership in FL!

We're averaging 53 mpg --- our car is AMAZING!

Thanks for everyone's help! image.jpg

krmcg likes this.
  18. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Beautiful car and great deal. :)

19. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II