1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

looking to buy prius-option packages

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cvincent, Feb 15, 2010.

1. cvincent

cvincent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i read the post whereit list all the option packages but i do not understand where that 2 letter code would be listed on the car? in looking at these on craigs, autotrader, etc i dont see codes like that listed, would this be in the vin?
    i am looking at 2004-2007 models

thank you

2. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    cvincent,

The option pkg numbers 1 through 9 (not available in all years---in 2005 they were only 1 through 6) & their corresponding 2 letter codes aren't visible anywhere on the car that I know of (somebody correct me quick if I'm wrong). They do appear on the manufacturer's new car window sticker though. Any Toyota dealer should be able to look up (& print out for you) a copy of the original sticker from the VIN number in Toyota's own database. I'm not sure that any non-Toyota or used car dealer can do the same though. What you would probably get from them would be only a generic widow sticker without the option pkg info you are looking for. Buyer, beware!! Do your research & thoroughly check out your desired choice before any money changes hands.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

3. Lanthom

Lanthom New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know when I was looking at buying my 2007 if you had pictures you could tell the difference between the two lower packages. The things I looked for was...

1) Was there black buttons on the driver/passenger door or trunk? If Yes then the car was at least a package 2. If not then that put it as a base.

2) If the pictures included a shot of the radio look for the SAT button. This would signify at least a package 3.

That was about as far as I could tell on pictures unless they specifically stated what package it was. I'm not sure if this applys to anything prior to 2007 either as I was just looking at '07 and '08 when I was buying my car.

4. cvincent

cvincent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks a lot for this info, going to look at a 2005 tomorrow, but i am trying to deal with individuals, all the dealer prices seem very, very high
    but now am considering looking at 2007 since someone pointed out the later models may not have the mft problems, whatever that is!

5. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hello again, cvincent,

In my 1st reply I basically stuck to only what you asked about the option pkg code letters & the VIN number. However Lanthom gave you some good info to look for if you're just dealing with pictures & trying to verify how a particular Prius is equipped. I can also add a little to that, but then you'll still have to add up all the features from the pictures for each individual car to try to figure out exactly the option pkg of the car you're considering (based on the chart/list of the different years' option pkg's that you said you already saw).

If you look at photos of the real car that's for sale (& NOT a "stock" photo) & you see fog lights in the lower grill, then that car has the troublesome HID headlights if it is a 2006 or newer (the '04's & '05's used a different bulb & ballast that hasn't given anywhere near the same amount of trouble---mine is a 2005 with 90,300 miles & no HID issues at all). If you don't want the HID problems, then go with a 2004 or 2005 (with or without HID's) or a 2006 or newer (with no fog lights in the lower grill) which means the car has the more reliable (& way cheaper) halogen bulbs. Starting in 2006 there were many minor changes/improvements [some only cosmetic for looks & others (though still real improvements) just barely noticeable}. 3 of the best improvements were a less aggressive traction control programming, adding a rear view camera, & adding an aux input to the radio/stereo. From 2006 through 2009 all the improvements stayed basically the same (no more new changes until the big ones in the 2010 models).

Don't shy away from a 2005 (as long as the production date is after April or May---my prod. date is May 2005 & I've had no issues) because that's when there were no longer any programming issues (that might shut the car down) & when they started delivering cars that no longer had the MFD (not "mft" as in your post) issues of going blank or saying weird things. MFD is Multi-Function Display or your screen in the middle of the dash. And if you're looking at any dash pictures of a "for sale" car, if there are only 4 buttons on the frame around the screen, then that car doesn't/shouldn't have the nav system. If there are 5 or 6 buttons, then you do have the nav.

That's all the extra I can think of now to add to Lanthom's comments [except that it might be better to get a VIN number (for the dealer to print out a copy of the original window sticker listing the option pkg) so you can do a carfax check (cheaper to get it for a month than to pay for each separate check) & NOT get stung buying private party].

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Register the VINs at http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/index.html for the service records.

Base Prius
    2004-2005 have a smooth dash finish, lower res MFD, dark taillight tips & no side badges

2006-2009 textured dash, clear taillight tips.

2007-2009 Touring version available with 17" wheels & larger spoiler

7. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe that's 16" instead of 17" .... I own a 2009 Touring with 16" wheels, and then I cheated by looking at the sales brochure -- no option for 17"rs.

8. cvincent

cvincent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is awesome info, thanks!

here is another question, what do people think of the touring packages? did they make these in 06 and 07? and is the mpg affected by the bigger tires? and does the handling improve in that package or not?

thank you!

9. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    cvincent,

My wife and I both drive 2008 Tourings and love them. I know Toyota made Tourings in '07, '08 and '09 but not sure about '06. Toyota specifies the same EPA mileage for the Touring and the base model. The Touring has a stiffer suspension and larger tires (195/55R16) which greatly improves handling, braking distance and overall feel for the road. I would strongly recommend you pursue a Touring model, if one is available. Of course, if possible, you should drive both a Standard and a Touring and decide for yourself. I drove both models and thought the Standard was mushy and not near as responsive as the Touring in handling or feel for the road.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on. You will find a wealth of info here on PC to draw from. Just use the search function to locate the threads that deal with the questions you have in mind.

10. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, rwhoyle & cvincent,

According to my 2006 sales brochure there were NO touring models available in 2006, but the 2007 sales brochure indicates they had 5 versions of the touring model. Just thought I'd let you know.

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

1 person likes this.
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've seen 06 and newer really stripped down models w/the older lower res MFD.

Examples of newer, high res MFD:
    http://www.myprius.co.za/MFD2006.jpg
    Consumption Screen on Prius MFD on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Older MFD:
    John's Stuff - Toyota Prius Photo Album 61

By side badges, he's talking about the Hybrid badges on the sides that got added on the 06s and beyond.
    Yeah, aux in is really nice (I use mine almost all the time I'm driving my Prius), but it's possible to get an 06 or newer w/o it and since there's no tape deck on 06s and beyond, one w/o aux in and w/o tape deck sucks if you want an inexpensive means of using portable music players w/o resorting to crappy FM transmitters.

As for the buttons, yeah the nav equipped ones will have more buttons and will have buttons like DEST and MAP. Non-nav ones definitely won't have those two.

Also, factory leather first became available on the 06. I don't know what the codes stand for, but my dealer (when I "ordered" my 06), joked/felt that NL stood for "No Leather". For 06, the one package past NL had leather. If you find a pre-06 w/leather, it was added aftermarket.