1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to get a Prius - what "extras" should I get/not get

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JaymzB0nd, Mar 2, 2010.

1. JaymzB0nd

JaymzB0nd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Guys. I'm thinking about going to the dealership tomorrow to check out the car in person and test drive. Building it online, I'm happy with the Model III with Navigation (don't think I need anything else).

I just joined the forum and saw some people talking about removing a reverse beep and headlights off in 30 seconds (things I'm not familiar with with the Prius). So a breakdown of what I things I should want disabled, enabled, whatever, for the car would be appreciated.

2. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ask for a block heater, body side molding :D

3. BlizzardJ

BlizzardJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or you can be like me and get the body side molding while not asking for it :eek:hwell:

4. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do u want leather seat or SR. If so, you need to go up to IV.

Do you need ATP, 17", LED headlight, fog light. If so, you need to go up to V.

All above are more fun toys and it really depending on what you need. But the bottom line is you will love the GIII Prius!

Let us know if you have more questions after the test drive.

5. Khillski

Khillski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Options in the IV version that can't be beat are: heated seats, SmartKey, and HomeLink. The leather is nice and makes for a comfortable ride on road trips.

6. JaymzB0nd

JaymzB0nd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :bounce: I haven't seen the molding as an option on the page. Do you guys have a picture or link to it?

I've found this deal and am thinking of leasing it...

edit: I can't link to it because I don't have 5 posts haha

7. JaymzB0nd

JaymzB0nd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would LOVE to have seat heaters however the IV is above my budget. Leather seats are not necessary, actually I'm more comfortable without them when I don't have to worry about them. I would love to have the LED headlights but again, the package is too much. Possibly one day I'll upgrade to an aftermarket HID kit if I'm not happy with the stock headlights.

Here's the link for the car I've found. Notice the DOT-COM I had to place in order to post the link

tustintoyotaDOTCOM/new/Toyota/2010-Toyota-Prius-e602b8a47f0000010030d5aa7e511db7.htm#

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO the only PIO (port installed option) that has some value is the rear bumper applique. If you are going to get VentureShield or 3M film applied you might as well have the guy do this too. I'd rather have the rubber strip. The rest of the stuff is overpriced and/or junk.

The personalized settings are just that. Before signing the contract ask about the dealer's policy on making changes. If they won't make changes a couple of times for free--walk. There is a list in the owner's manual. Live with the car a while until you know what you like & dislike. I had the reverse & seat belt beeps deactivated & the SKS changed (not for you).

9. kenopa

kenopa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, we don't like the feel of leather seats, so that took us to level II or III. We're old and don't care about a fancy sound system, and nav systems become obsolete fairly quick (or the update process falls apart at some time), so the choice to go to a II was pretty easy. If I could identify a location on the side that would catch the majority of dings, I would install molding, but the design doesn't seem to lend itself to that. Came with mats and the applique. I think 3M Clear Bra is probably a good investment, and will probably do that myself.

10. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You will probably be very happy with a Model III & Navigation. You don't need any of the other expensive dealer supplied junk.

Keith :welcome:

11. JaymzB0nd

JaymzB0nd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks guys. I found (I think) everything I'm looking for, still need to see it in person. MSRP is $26,669 and they're offering it to me at $25,185 (plus fees). Thinking about it, I'm worried to lease a hybrid because it defeats the purpose of having great mpg when you have to watch the mileage because of the lease.

So the things like the reverse and seat belt beeps are things that the dealer has to deactivate, not something we can change ourselves through the onboard computer?

12. Dutch

Dutch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion, I would not get factory navigation - you can buy a new Garmin or Tom-Tom every year for less than the price of an annual update from Toyota (not to mention the cost of the initial system). The aftermarket offerings are vastly superior to the Toyota Nav, and they don't have the nanny restrictions.

I have a 2006 with Nav which I acquired in December. Previously I had a Garmin Nuvi 350 for three years. The Toyota Nav is a pale shadow of the Garmin. The inability to access the Toyota Nav while moving is awful. The functionality and ergonomics of the Toyota Nav is significantly inferior to the Garmin.

The other day I left a hotel to go to a meeting less than a mile away, using the Toyota Nav. Twenty five minutes and 11 miles later, I arrived to the meeting. The Toyota Nav wanted me to turn left across a divided highway, and then put me on an interstate at rush hour to turn around. I was so p****d off that I went back afterwards and ran the identical route with the Garmin (which has the same year update). Five minutes and less than a mile, I arrived at the destination.

Yes, I still carry my Garmin. I've learned to use the Garmin if I need to be on-time for critical meetings or have clients with me.

I love my Prius but I hate hate hate the Nav.

1 person likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found the cargo net to be useful (esp. for groceries and other small items)

14. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You more then likely will want the reverse beep set to one beep. Seat belts are up to you. I dont mind them. But the seats are weight sensitive. I had to buckle in my toolboxes one day, because I had set them on the seat. :)

I like the Nav, but you will find both sides of the arguement here.

15. JaymzB0nd

JaymzB0nd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks. My fiance has a Lexus IS 250 and I actually like the touchscreen nav. Plus, I want the rearview camera.

16. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Camera is nice. But as you may know. dont solely rely on it. And dont let your dealre tell you it will cost extra to change the beeps. It is suppose to be a free service.

17. kenopa

kenopa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I had the dealer try to charge me $74.50 to make the back-up beep change. They said it is not an item covered by the warranty (since it is a "customer-optioned" request) and they had to charge for the service. I simply stated to the sales manager that the charge was unacceptable and I would refuse to take delivery of the vehicle (and I would have). Like magic, they performed the change, apologized and then offered free 5 and 10 thousand mile service. Actually, kind of interesting to have the tables turned where the customer can bring some real pressure on these situations. But it probably won't last. As gas tries to reach $2.75 around here, Prius sales are starting to recover.

18. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ask for a block heater

Indeed, Prius III is very sensitive to the weather conditions especially when it's cold outside.

If available in the States

- Head Up display - very interesting option, very making safe: in each Prius in my country (GENUINE)
    - electrically rearview mirrors : not available in Belgium : it's damage !!! (minus 1 point)

Friendly, Guy

19. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IMO:

The backup camera isn't necessary unless you're carrying enough stuff to block the window. The Gen III really does have a decent view out the back now - not as good as some, but as good as most (way better than my old Accord Coupe). And if after test-driving you still feel the need, there are after-market cameras available for $200.

3rd-party nav is way, way cheaper.

Options in the IV+ get exponentially more expensive - these models are designed for high-end buyers who want a Prius for the reputation / status and aren't really looking at the value proposition. Even so, I think Toyota should have made a cheaper non-solar sunroof available in the lower models.

For much less than the price of a III, you can get a II, which has basically all the same stuff except the upgraded stereo and Bluetooth - or (as I did), you can negotiate a bigger discount on a III and get fairly close to the price of a II (if you find a dealer with more III's on the lot). This is assuming you pass on the overpriced nav/camera.

20. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have the illuminated door sill (ie. blue light Pruis logo) on both front door sills. It makes it a little different than others' and a welcome feel when you open the door in the dark.
    Rear back up camera- unless it is the one built-in the NAV, otherwise, the build-in one in the rear view mirror is too small. It serves as an extra pre-caution but it is really not necessary. I got it because it comes with the Bluetooth which I must have.
    Engine block heater - in your sunshine state, you probably don't need it.
    Heated front seats - Ditto. There are aftermarket units too if you want it.
    Heated steerling wheel - YES. I had it on my BMW-X3 and I miss it a lot. Too bad, Pruis doesn't offer this.
    Door side moulding - if you park your car in a busy parking lot, then go with it to protect dents from those people who don't seem to care about other's car. If not, you can do without it. It looks cleaner.