1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Los Angeles independent mechanic for service

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Opihi, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Opihi

Opihi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone,
    my Prius is due for 30K service. I have been reading here and everyone seems to suggest to just do the 5K oil change and replace the filters yourself, is that pretty much sums it up?
    I don't know how easy/difficult it is to convince the dealer service for that. But in any event they do not want to do it, where should I go to get my car serviced in Los Angeles? Suggestion please.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since your car is still under warranty, I would suggest you do the work at the dealer. An oil change with synthetic oil should be less than $100. They can also inspect your vehicle for any repairs before your warranty runs out.

After your warranty runs out, you can do your basic fluid changes at a local mechanic. Tony's Auto Service in Rosemead has all the right fluids for your Prius and they change them for a fraction of the price of a dealership. They will change your transaxle fluid with WS fluid for $55, where as the dealership will charge you $100 or more for this service.

The filters you can do yourself, takes less than 5 minutes to change the engine and cabin air filter. They run about $15 at your local walmart or discount auto stores.

Opihi likes this.
  3. Opihi

Opihi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks JC91006. Yeah, I think I'll contact the dealer to see if they'd agree on that or not. Thanks for recommendation on Toy's Auto.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three