1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Loss of regen brakes and traction assist.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Feri, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just letting Gen III drivers know that using an OBDII splitter and two gauges can sometimes cause a loss of regen braking and traction assist accompanied by various yellow lights on the dash. It can be restored by switching the vehicle off, unplug the OBDII splitter and restarting the car. This has happened to me on three seperate occasions.

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This happened to me today with just a single OBDII reader and torque app. It started with the ABS light and traction lights going on and then progressed to the hybrid system warning and low oil pressure warning. My dash was lit up like a Christmas tree! It totally freaked me out as we're going on a long trip tomorrow. The only thing that I can think of causing this is that I checked a box to turn off the OBDII to save power in the torque app. I haven't tested it out yet.

3. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a similar experience, when I used the Chinese OBDII Aadapter. After the replacement with better chip and design, all troubles dismissed.

4. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It makes sense to me that the OBD interface could cause some problems. The software is capable of accepting commands from a scan tool through that interface, and some of those commands could shut things down if done at the wrong time. I remember doing the same with my AutoEnginuity on my old Ford Contour. I was playing with options going down the road while my wife was driving and I commanded a badly wrong timing advance and the whole thing shut off. My wife wasn't happy with me.

I've noticed that with my cheap OBD interface installed my reverse beep is down to one beep. I wonder if this is the same thing.

5. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's odd if you didn't issue a command. The problem I've had and I presume others as well, have been while passively using the gauges just for data readout while driving.

6. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I maybe totally, wrong but isn't the ScanGauge actually "interogate" the bus sending in some code basically "give" this or that data ???

In which case a passive spliter can screw up (sometimes badly) what goes on the bus ...

Feri likes this.
  7. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    True!

8. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've used a Scangauge II on my 2010 Prius since I bought it in June 2009, prior to that had one on a 1997 Subaru Impreza which I gave to my daughter to use on her former Saturn Ion (thank God she sold that before the recall and had no incidents), she's using it on her 2009 Chevy Aveo and I have one on my 1996 Chevy S10. It has been the only monitor I have used and has done nothing but improve my mpg with no adverse effects. I've seen plenty of cheap and homemade units, I'm no programmer so I'll stick to what works for me.

9. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been using UltraGauage for awhile now with no problems!