1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost all keys - Seed reset necessary?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pujiang, May 26, 2016.

1. Pujiang

Pujiang New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had my wallet and key stolen from YMCA and my spare has somehow gone missing too. A dealership has quoted me half hour to program and an hour and half to reseed. I have next to no knowledge about all of this. One of the things I was told is I need the reseed to cancel any previous fobs the car was programmed to. I don't care if the old fob is out there and could be used for my car. If this is the only reason for reseed I don't want it. I've seen conflicting information and I am confused. Somewhere I think I read that if you don't have any keys then you'll need a reseed no matter what. I had the black logo fob, not a proximity one. Can anyone shed light on this explaining why a reseed needs to be done when you have no key to go off, or why you don't?

Thank you

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The reseed is needed because you've lost all your keys. This is the cheapest method to get your car going again. Keep in mind, you still have to buy the key fobs.....which run around $100 each online (amazon) or more if you get it from the dealer.

The good thing here is since you are reseeding, you don't need to have NEW key fobs, you can get used ones online. Reseeding is the only way to program used fobs.

bisco likes this.
  3. Pujiang

Pujiang New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i was a kid, someone stole all my belongings from my y locker. i had to walk home 10 miles in my gym shorts and t shirt in the middle of winter.