1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lost clicker--how disable car so finder can't drive it away?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sundog105, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Sundog105

Sundog105 Sundog105

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently lost one of my two 2012 III clickers. I'm concerned that the finder can go up and down the street until MY car talks back, then get in and drive off. Is there a way to disable the car until I can change clickers?

2. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    what color?

[​IMG]

3. Sundog105

Sundog105 Sundog105

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I first saw your answer in text form, I figured the next question would be "What did you say the zip code was where you lost it? If you gave me the street address, I'd be on the lookout for it."

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know the SKS system can be turned off, but I don't think the fob can be disabled.

Disconnecting the 12v auxiliary battery will do it though. ;)

SCH-I535

5. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    the quickest &, at least for now, the best way/

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need tech stream to delete the registered fob

SM-N900P ?

7. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    for deleting keys, afaik, you need a so called 'seed'-number/
    best thing to do is probably let the dealer delete it & re-register the one key you still have/
    you can always add an additional key later on/
    apparently it's easier to add a key than to remove one....

adding-deleting-and-replacing-prius-smart-keys

#7 StarCaller, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  8. Sundog105

Sundog105 Sundog105

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey StarCaller, a shout-out for the great link! Thanks!

Xliderider, we'll see if we make it through the night without disconnecting the batt, but thanks for that tip. If our Prius is still parked outside tomorrow morning, I will be looking into un-registering our SmartKey and getting a new one.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately...you live in Roswell.
    That's not a slam on your city, it's a neat place, but the chances that you'll have a locksmith with the software to delete (re-seed?) your car's 'puter are slimmer than they would be if you were in LA.
    Still....I'd give some of them a call and see.
    A big city locksmith can delete the old fob and reprogram it to accept a new (used) one from eBay.....contrary to popular myth.
    One thing works in your favor.
    There are probably a lot of Priuses in your neck of the woods since everything is pretty far from everything else once you leave town.
    This....I'm sure, has come up before in your town.

Other that that?
    You're going to have to throw yourself on the tender mercies of your local dealer.
    They should be able to delete the old fob for a half hour's worth of labor (<$100) but they're probably going to try to smoke you for >$200 for a replacement fob.

They might even try the old "we'll have to replace the computer" scam on you.
    If I were driving a 2012, I'd remind them that I'm a local, and they'll be throwing rock salt on the sidewalks from where HELL has frozen over before I bought another car from Roswell Toyota if they try to shank me for a 400-500 dollar repair over this.

Good Luck!

10. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not certain of this, but I seem to recall that at least some parts of the smart key system are disabled under some unusual condition - like if you lock it with the physical key, or maybe it's if you lock it by actually moving the button inside the car. Not sure. Also not sure whether that deactivates both the fob buttons and the smart key system, or just the smart key. But as long as you have one working key and the physical key too, you can play around with alternative locking methods to see if the fob is disabled so that you have to use the physical key to unlock it.

Thinking about it more, maybe this is only applicable when the car is running. I feel like it might've come up in the thread about locking the car and leaving it running while on a brief errand. So I suppose you could leave the car running, but then it'd be free for the taking to anybody that was willing to break your window, and not just the guy that finds your fob. ;-)

I wouldn't worry about it too much myself; unless you're in a particularly bad neighborhood and you know you lost it nearby, what are the chances that whoever finds it will 1. be in your area, 2. be a criminal, and 3. be willing to be seen in a Prius? ;)

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt the former, and actively dispute the later, because I actually use the later from time to time and haven't had trouble getting back in to the car.

12. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, I agree... As I said, I think it only engages in that sort of funny business if you do it while the car is still running. Because in that case, at least the smart key system is deactivated (except when you, for example, open a door); not sure if it disables the remote too or not, but I think it may.